Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else going to Agalloch Sunday night?

Coming over from Adelaide for it. First time I've crossed the border for a gig, but as they were my favourite metal band through my 20s and early 30s it was an easy decision.

Didn't have anything planned for Saturday night so grabbed one of the last tickets to see Iron Maiden at Rod Laver. More of a casual fan but should be great.

Coming over from Adelaide for it. First time I've crossed the border for a gig, but as they were my favourite metal band through my 20s and early 30s it was an easy decision.

Didn't have anything planned for Saturday night so grabbed one of the last tickets to see Iron Maiden at Rod Laver. More of a casual fan but should be great.
Nice. Enjoy the gig/s. I was tempted to travel from Brisbane for Agalloch but didnt work out. I reckon they will be incredible live too!

Can't find the posts... what are recommended music shops in Tokyo? Going on the weekend and may do some shopping.

Disc Union chain. I think the metal store in Shinjuku may be closed at the moment but the one in Shibuya is easy enough to locate. I usually stay in Shibuya and shop at that one. Perhaps the punk store in Shinjuku is still open.

Gama bomb coming out. Might be good for a laugh

Seems to be a heap of meh tours happening or being announced. Reckon even one of the next ones I am interested in (Sinister) is a chance to fall over due to lack of interest. **** out turnout last time and it's not like anything will have changed since. Reckon one of the biggest head ****s is that Bridear band supporting Dream Evil - wonder what the go is there. Won't be going to the show regardless but give them a run on Spotify and tell me they aren't ****ing terrible.

Disc Union chain. I think the metal store in Shinjuku may be closed at the moment but the one in Shibuya is easy enough to locate. I usually stay in Shibuya and shop at that one. Perhaps the punk store in Shinjuku is still open.

can’t go wrong with the Disk Union chain as you say, especially the metal stores in Ochanomizu, Shinkjuku and Shibuya. Also Tower Records in Shinjuku and Shibuya, from there you can easily get a train to the Ochanomizu store. Theres a two level metal store there. The best one in Tokyo

Seems to be a heap of meh tours happening or being announced. Reckon even one of the next ones I am interested in (Sinister) is a chance to fall over due to lack of interest. **** out turnout last time and it's not like anything will have changed since. Reckon one of the biggest head ****s is that Bridear band supporting Dream Evil - wonder what the go is there. Won't be going to the show regardless but give them a run on Spotify and tell me they aren't ****ing terrible.

I agree with this, though I'm still fairly content because I saw a bunch of bands that I was really happy to see in the first half of the year.
What I'm looking forward to in the second half is The Cult & Weedeater.
One thing that really irks me with these promoters is the recycling of certain bands - the announcement of Alestorm is a perfect example. The universal response on social media was "meh" and I hope they noticed that.

I agree with this, though I'm still fairly content because I saw a bunch of bands that I was really happy to see in the first half of the year.
One thing that really irks me with these promoters is the recycling of certain bands - the announcement of Alestorm is a perfect example. The universal response on social media was "meh" and I hope they noticed that.
Absolutely. Alestorm epitomises my complete lack of interest in most stuff coming through at the moment.
I like some of the earlier Gama Bomb stuff, but will definitely be a wait and see how I feel on the day type gig.
Nothing much else really grabbing me at the moment

Must be a fair crowd for the Wacken gimmick music ala Alestorm. Can't stand that shit but each to their own and I guess Soundworks is in it to make a buck. Makes you wonder how much King Diamond is asking for - surely could do two nights in Melbourne at the Forum, sell a heap of shirts and do ok but I guess either the guarantee is too high or he won't travel this far. So instead it's ****ing Alestorm. Forgot about The Cult - will have to line up a ticket.

Absolutely. Alestorm epitomises my complete lack of interest in most stuff coming through at the moment.
I like some of the earlier Gama Bomb stuff, but will definitely be a wait and see how I feel on the day type gig.
Nothing much else really grabbing me at the moment

Alestorm is offensive. Napalm Records and Massacre Records have an endless supply of these sort of circus acts. Pretty much pop music.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't find the posts... what are recommended music shops in Tokyo? Going on the weekend and may do some shopping.

Was there a couple of months ago, disk union in shinjuku has 2 multi story shops within about 50m of each other. The metal floor was underwhelming to my tastes and mostly cd's. In the other building the hardcore shop was awesome heaps of vinyl for all styles and era's.

I went to Tower records in Shibuya, had a decent 2nd hand section.

Prices were pretty good I picked up about 18-20 albums for around $350aud

Makes you wonder how much King Diamond is asking for - surely could do two nights in Melbourne at the Forum, sell a heap of shirts and do ok but I guess either the guarantee is too high or he won't travel this far.
Only play US tours for some reason.

Only rare single dates at mostly big festivals in Europe.

Not 100% sure, what that means for the possibility for shows in Australia.

Actually find this a little odd, because it feels like music, that is often more successful in Europe then in US.

Loved the Maiden Adelaide show.

Bring on Melbourne 🤘
It was great, I had an awesome night. I like Killswitch too and if you like their music you would've loved their set where everything was on point, damn near flawless.

Maiden are just the ultimate professionals. Entertaining and their playing is as just so tight. Of the Senjitsu songs I thought The Time Machine fell a bit flat but the others were very good to excellent - Death of the Celts really surprised me as to how good that was live. The older Maiden songs you generally know what you're getting and they didn't disappoint.

I love the fact Bruce doesn't try to be a big tough metal frontman, he just chats to the crowd as if you were having a cup of tea in his living room, a true skill in front of a big audience.

It was great, I had an awesome night. I like Killswitch too and if you like their music you would've loved their set where everything was on point, damn near flawless.

Maiden are just the ultimate professionals. Entertaining and their playing is as just so tight. Of the Senjitsu songs I thought The Time Machine fell a bit flat but the others were very good to excellent - Death of the Celts really surprised me as to how good that was live. The older Maiden songs you generally know what you're getting and they didn't disappoint.

I love the fact Bruce doesn't try to be a big tough metal frontman, he just chats to the crowd as if you were having a cup of tea in his living room, a true skill in front of a big audience.

How did Hell on Earth sound live? I love that song.

How did Hell on Earth sound live? I love that song.
I probably would've had it as the 2nd best of the Senjitsu songs. For me they were:
  1. Death of the Celts
  2. Hell On Earth
  3. Days of Future Past
  4. Writing on the Wall
  5. The Time Machine
I wouldn't have picked that before the show where I would've said the shorter rockier songs would've been 1 and 2

Also they're visibly slowing down which you'd have to expect at their age. Dave and Adrian are the same as they never move much but Steve and Bruce don't cover nearly as much ground as they used to.

Janick was the exception, he must have some incredible genes as he bops around in the same manner as he has for the last 30+ years.

Was there a couple of months ago, disk union in shinjuku has 2 multi story shops within about 50m of each other. The metal floor was underwhelming to my tastes and mostly cd's. In the other building the hardcore shop was awesome heaps of vinyl for all styles and era's.

I went to Tower records in Shibuya, had a decent 2nd hand section.

Prices were pretty good I picked up about 18-20 albums for around $350aud
I go for CDs so that's ok with me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Back