Bigger than Barlow

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok so I'm curious about this guy.

Port made a play for Andrew Walker from the Blues in trade week, as a Krakouer run and carry HBF replacement. This guy can kick so he already sounds infinitely better to me.

One question:

If he had all the tools to be a gun AFL player, instead of keeping him, (or at the least making you guys use a pick on him, even a late one which they wouldn't have used), why did they give him to you (basically) for nothing?

Must admit that's on my mind too - I do remember hearing the GC recruiting guy (forgot his name) saying that they had already largely earmarked their squad/picks and players and were happy to trade whatever beyond that if it gave them some sort of advantage. In this case, even if it was only for a few spots up the draft order. He basically said that they couldn't fit anymore than what they had 'planned for'. that is the only thing that I can come up with.

On top of the Mzungu himself, I believe he has quite and engine too - can go all day. I reckon if you can kick and you can keep up the run for 4 quarters you're more than half way there these days. I'm happy enough with the pick, but I'm not counting any chickens just yet.

... but bigger than Barlow. Lol! Be a nice one for OP to bump and say I told you so, hope it happens.

Probably because he'll be 25 when the season starts next year might not fit into their building plans and they don't want too many spots in that starting 22 taken by 'mature' players.
Not an entirely convincing response... I think they'd be happy to have guy who can have a Barlow type impact and 25 is not old at all. They have players his age and older including spuds like D.Harris, J.Fraser and stars like Ablett.
Must admit that's on my mind too - I do remember hearing the GC recruiting guy (forgot his name) saying that they had already largely earmarked their squad/picks and players and were happy to trade whatever beyond that if it gave them some sort of advantage. In this case, even if it was only for a few spots up the draft order. He basically said that they couldn't fit anymore than what they had 'planned for'. that is the only thing that I can come up with.
That would make sense. There are only so many spots on a list.

Still, they didn't even make you pay for him? If he was rated highly they would have traded him in a straight swap for a pick, even if they didn't intend to use that pick. Get what I'm saying there?

... but then again your recruiters are in some good form atm. So we'll see how he goes.

I think Scott Clayton at the gold coast realizes that they have more than enough concessions, players and picks and didn't want to waste time negotiating on a player that they may habe not had on their radar.

settle down powerade....just because the gold coast dont rate him doesnt mean he has no ability!!!! our recruiters rate him and they are probably in better form than any recruiting team in the league, especially when it comes to mature age. i'm sure freo have been watching this guy week in and week out seing as he is right under our noses and if our guys think he's gonna do the job then i'm willing to bet my balls he'll get the job done. he's got sweet skills and the courage to take the game on which will see him slide straight into our best 22. cant wait to see him trotting around in the purple and white, sending laser beams into our forward 50.

I think Scott Clayton at the gold coast realizes that they have more than enough concessions, players and picks and didn't want to waste time negotiating on a player that they may habe not had on their radar.
Yep. Makes sense.
settle down powerade....just because the gold coast dont rate him doesnt mean he has no ability!!!!
He has ability no doubt. Is he an AFL quality player? We'll have to wait and see.

I'm just confused that we went after Andrew Walker when someone that could kick was available.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Not an entirely convincing response... I think they'd be happy to have guy who can have a Barlow type impact and 25 is not old at all. They have players his age and older including spuds like D.Harris, J.Fraser and stars like Ablett.

That would make sense. There are only so many spots on a list.

Still, they didn't even make you pay for him? If he was rated highly they would have traded him in a straight swap for a pick, even if they didn't intend to use that pick. Get what I'm saying there?

... but then again your recruiters are in some good form atm. So we'll see how he goes.

There's an article floating around today - i can't find it but it should be running in the papers tomorrow - where Scott Clayton explains why the GC did those deals.

He said the Suns had a list model in place where they have a top tier of players (uncontracted eight), a select few mature-aged prospects and then a majority of young draftees.

Basically they had all the mature-aged prospects they need and were happy to work with other clubs to get their targeted players in exchange for a slightly better draft pick.

It's no skin off the Suns' back to do these deals and they end up with a better pick. Win-win.

Yep. Makes sense.

He has ability no doubt. Is he an AFL quality player? We'll have to wait and see.

I'm just confused that we went after Andrew Walker when someone that could kick was available.

Thanks for the responses guys.

ill tell you why you guys were after andrew walker and not tendai....have a look at your draft history in recent history.

last year with pics 8 & 9 you chose andrew moore and john butcher....leaving guys like jordy gysberts, lewis jetta or kane lucas. then with pick 16 you had a chance to redeem yourselves and you wasted it on some guy named jasper mcmillan-pettard leaving freo a bunch of talent to recruit including nat fyfe, dylan roberton and jesse crichton as well as other players that went after that like bastinac, koby stevens, daniel menzel, mitch duncan, ben nason, jeremy laidler and troy taylor.

if you dont understand what i'm putting down, then ill spell it out for you...your recruiting team sucks!!!! :p

Apparantly teams like fremantle spoke to GC an asked them to grab these types of players, to hold onto them so no other club can get them.
As GC already had the mature players they wanted,all they asked for in return were pick upgrades.

So basically even if Port were keen on him,GC had already put him on hold for freo to collect.

Collingwood was another team that aproached GC to hold players for them.

ill tell you why you guys were after andrew walker and not tendai....have a look at your draft history in recent history.

last year with pics 8 & 9 you chose andrew moore and john butcher....leaving guys like jordy gysberts, lewis jetta or kane lucas. then with pick 16 you had a chance to redeem yourselves and you wasted it on some guy named jasper mcmillan-pettard leaving freo a bunch of talent to recruit including nat fyfe, dylan roberton and jesse crichton as well as other players that went after that like bastinac, koby stevens, daniel menzel, mitch duncan, ben nason, jeremy laidler and troy taylor.

if you dont understand what i'm putting down, then ill spell it out for you...your recruiting team sucks!!!! :p

Bit early isn't it to question Port's picks, so Port should have picked a 21yo Jetta over the best 18yo KPF based on their first years.

Apparantly teams like fremantle spoke to GC an asked them to grab these types of players, to hold onto them so no other club can get them.
As GC already had the mature players they wanted,all they asked for in return were pick upgrades.

So basically even if Port were keen on him,GC had already put him on hold for freo to collect.

Collingwood was another team that aproached GC to hold players for them.

I wonder who came up with the loophole, Clayton, Hine or Lloyd?

There's an article floating around today - i can't find it but it should be running in the papers tomorrow - where Scott Clayton explains why the GC did those deals.

He said the Suns had a list model in place where they have a top tier of players (uncontracted eight), a select few mature-aged prospects and then a majority of young draftees.

Basically they had all the mature-aged prospects they need and were happy to work with other clubs to get their targeted players in exchange for a slightly better draft pick.

It's no skin off the Suns' back to do these deals and they end up with a better pick. Win-win.

One good thing about GWS coming in next year, we'll be able to do more of this. Bad thing is, everyone else will have cottoned onto it and will be trying to do it as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One good thing about GWS coming in next year, we'll be able to do more of this. Bad thing is, everyone else will have cottoned onto it and will be trying to do it as well.

Unless Vlad closes the loophole and tells GWS if they pre-list a player they must take him.

Unless Vlad closes the loophole and tells GWS if they pre-list a player they must take him.

Although we've done well out of it (so it seems) - I hope they do close it. At the very least make the pre-listing thing happen outside of trade week, it starts getting all a bit shady to say the least.

More the issue is the compo-picks need to be tidied up. They shouldn't be allowed to be traded back to the club they came from (next season GWS, this season GC). It kind of makes a mockery of them.

And even more importantly, if the expansion team signs a second uncontracted player from the same club (Brennan), they should have to give a 'compensation pick' from their own stockpile. Among other issues, having the AFL jump in in such a circumstance makes it impossible for other clubs to get a look-in at an uncontracted player. One free shot per club should be enough for the expansion team.

Bigger than Barlow

Tendai Mzungu.

Watched him for the last 4 years waiting for it to click. This year it all came together.

Will only get stronger and fitter with an AFL pre-season under his belt.

Huge call MM, Barlow's debut season was a once in a decade possibly even once in a generation debut season for the club. But I hope you're right. :thumbsu:

Looking at that highlights footage he has silky smooth skill, pin point kick, both sides of his body, good hands, shows courage. Cool under pressure. He looks at least as good as Duffield and Hayden, has a good goal sense.

I think he could easily slot into the midfield, not sure about Barlow, but I think he could be a quicker Mundy

GC were allowed to pre-list players, who they could claim as their own and then trade for draft picks.

We have jagged two from them. Faulks and Mzungu.

I understand how the Faulks deal came about, was on the Sydney previously, GC could claim formerly listed AFL players, we traded with GC.

How could Muzungu get listed ?. I understand if he was a former AFL listed player. Were GC allowed to select "unlisted" players, other than a trailer load of 17 year olds ?.

I understand how the Faulks deal came about, was on the Sydney previously, GC could claim formerly listed AFL players, we traded with GC.

How could Muzungu get listed ?. I understand if he was a former AFL listed player. Were GC allowed to select "unlisted" players, other than a trailer load of 17 year olds ?.

They can also list guys who have previously nominated for the draft and been overlooked.

I hope you're right but I saw 4 or 5 of his games this year and the same last year and he didn't blow me away like some are suggesting. I also don't like the fact that he has come on so quickly. Perhaps this year was a flash in the pan? From all accounts his previous 4 or 5 years prior to 2009 have been very ordinary. Why is that?

As I have made mention before Tendai split his commitments between cricket and football, a first grade player with South Perth, he never really completed a full pre-season with the Demons.

Last year he made a commitment to football knowing there would be a strong chance for mature age players to get picked.

After just one full pre-season he established himself as an elite player in the WAFL.

Imagine what he'll be able to achieve with an AFL preseason under his belt. :thumbsu:

Looking at the video, he is one touch player above the knees but a two touch below his knees. Great skills and decision making.

Seems very flexible, could play as a small forward, wing or a rebounding defender.

I think everyone is getting a bit anxious as we are going for the hatrick. Broughton ---> Barlow---> Mzungu or Faulks. I think Mzungu will have a good chance to play round 1 next year where as Faulks may be a little raw to hold down a Key Position in the AFL until he has added some size.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bigger than Barlow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back