Biggest Game Of The Year For The Ressies So Far

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 17, 2000
BRITS Committee Lunchroom
Other Teams
????????????????????
This weekends curtain-raiser clash against the Ladder-leaders Southport will be the reserves biggest game so far this year, with only one more game after this we need to win to keep 3rd position. I think we are safe if we win against the Sharks who we have already lost to this season. They have won 14 out of 16 so far, followed by Mt Gravatt with 13/16 us & Northern Eagles on 11 from 16 & then the only team with a chance are Morningside. i dont think there is anyway that Redlands who are currently placed 6th to get into the top 5 for the finals with big clashes against Mt Gravatt & Southport in the next week, it is upsetting to see such a fine football club drop from it's strength to what it is now in such a short period & hopefully they will be back & ready for action next year.

The Lions will again be without 'Jimmy' Rozynski who should return for the following weeks road trip clash against Labrador. From news going around the traps if Nick Van Bekkum of Redlands is back from fractures in his foot then he will play for the cubs in the next two weeks to enable him to play finals footy.

bolts should be bacl for the first week of the finals coz he said.... mayeb not this week against the sharks but mayeb the week after agaainst labrador...but i would say the first week of the finals which will be a very big hurdle for the fellas to leap but with him back out there & all our other finals footy experienced from last year we can hopefully put together a big finals campaign

heheheh he is counted as one of the kids... LOL

im very happy to have morro back & i know that dyl will want to have another great game especially against a fellow front runner for the Grogan in David ( i think) round... who is the son of Barry Round who has been blitzing everyone else... BUT i know dylan will blow him out of the water & right back down the coast....

yeah get along... should be a great contest

A healthy looking player list at the right time of the season has ensured the Lions Reserves will field one of their strongest sides of the year against Southport at the Gabba tomorrow afternoon. With just Damian Cupido, Craig Bolton and Nathan Clarke unavailable this week alongside the suspended Alastair Lynch, both the Lions seniors – in the middle of a rare streak having won 31 of their last 35 games – and reserves are almost fully resourced.

The Reserves will appreciate having a handful of players pushing for senior selection available because they have lost five of their last six encounters to Southport dating back to early 2000. The only success was in last year’s AFLQ grand final, when the young side upset the hot favourite Sharks, who were seeking their fifth straight flag. The Lions Reserves exposed Broadbeach last week by dominating the centre and changing ruckmen Clark Keating and Dylan McLaren at full-forward, the duo booting seven goals between them and contributing to several others. They face a much tougher task today with giant Sharks ruckman David Round in brilliant form over the last half of the season, and tall defender Troy Crossley resolute at the back.The Lions go into the game on the back of easy wins over Redland and Broadbeach, while the Sharks were battle hardened by a fierce six-point loss to Mt Gravatt last weekend, their first defeat in 15 weeks. It was a very physical affair and will have provided ideal preparation for a Lions side that uses the wide expanses of the Gabba perfectly. Richard Hadley has been in superb form at centre-half-back and creates numerous attacking opportunities for his side. Hadley has a happy knack of finding the ball and always having time to dispose of it, and has been his side’s best player over the last month. Utility Mick Martin has regained his explosive speed off the mark and along with Ash McGrath have burnt off their rivals in recent weeks. Martin will give the Lions plenty of drive in the midfield, while McGrath has been dangerous at both ends of the ground. The Sharks were particularly well drilled in their five-goal win over the Lions earlier in the season in a high standard contest, although the home side will be a lot stronger tomorrow. This week’s penultimate game of the qualifying rounds will almost certainly determine whether the Lions Reserves play in the double-chance AFLQ qualifying final, or the elimination final, in two weeks’ time. A win and they will likely meet Mt Gravatt in the qualifying final, while a loss should see the Northern Eagles leapfrog them into third place. The Lions Reserves side is:

B: A McGrath, S Morrison, R Goad
HB: M Martin, L Weller, N Raines
C: A Bullas, R Hadley, L Hammond
HF: J Gram, Darren Bradshaw, J Fabian
F: D Mapleston, D McLaren, T Banfield
R: C Keating, R Copeland, J Wright
I/C: S Ling, P Greenaway, C Ling, N Van Bekkum

lost five of their last six encounters to Southport dating back to early 2000.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA
SUCKERS... i would rather have won the one we did than lose that & have won the other 5... HAHAHHAHAHHA

LIONS RESERVES - PREMIERS 2001

it should be good with Big lingy back again this week... & that is S. Ling not c. Ling......& i am very happy that Nick van Bekkum is playing... did i not tell you......(damn it if u knew him u would be happy to see him play for you as well)

hammo is pumped yet again.....

& i am sure that... as the AFLQ website spelt his name: Jarod Wright... LOL ( dont spell it wrong damn it) will be great again this week, with the likes of richie again who has been powering & luca & i am upset that clarkey isnt playing & cant wait for james to come back from the snow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Lions Reserves have been condemned to a sudden-death AFLQ finals campaign after losing to Southport by eight points at the Gabba today. The Sharks smashed the Reserves around the ruck clearances and held on for a 13-14-92 to 13-6-84 victory, which virtually assures them of top spot and a bye in the first week of finals.With one round to play, the Lions should beat lowly Labrador next weekend but the Northern Eagles are unlikely to lose and relinquish third spot. That sets up a likely difficult elimination final against Morningside, who are finishing the season full of running. The Lions had their chances tonight, but simply could not get on top of a Sharks midfield that was particularly good around the ruck contests. The home side suffered a major blow when it lost the in-form Clark Keating midway through the second term. Courageously running with the flight of the ball, Keating was crashed by Brad Fisher and taken from the ground on a stretcher. Apart from a sore nose and even worse headache, nothing was broken and Keating is expected to be available next week. However, his absence robbed the Lions of a useful height advantage at full-forward when he and Dylan McLaren were resting there. McLaren engaged in an enthralling duel with David Round for the rest of the game, with both big men playing strong roles for their sides. McLaren was shaded by Mick Martin as the Lions’ best player, the dogged utility tackling himself to a standstill by the end. Martin used his explosive pace to good effect and set up several goals, while his tackling made sure his opponents were always under pressure. Southport led by two goals at the first change after full-forward Steve McKeon booted two goals in the first four minutes and three for the quarter. He was given too much space to work with, although the defensive efforts down the ground and determination of defender Luke Weller to hit back made sure he managed two more for the rest of the game. The Sharks led by just the one point at halftime after the Lions tightened up in defence and delivered the ball well into their forward line. They utilised their running brigade in defence and often caught the Lions out with their switches of play in the first and fourth terms. A goal after the three-quarter-time siren gave the Sharks a handy 11-point lead, and they booted the first two goals of the final term to look safe. However, two goals in the three minutes just before time-on made the contest interesting, but Craig Richardson, who had struggled for most of the game, dominated the clearances in the last quarter. The Lions received great drive from Luke Hammond across half-back early, while David Mapleston continued his good form in defence with a string of timely marks and dashes from defence. Jarrad Wright was in the thick of the action as usual and was one of his side’s better players, while Robbie Copeland engaged in a tough duel with tagger Kevin Tandagoc for most of the day with honours about even.Scores:
Southport, 5-3, 7-6, 11-10, 13-14-92 Lions Reserves, 3-3, 7-5, 10-6, 13-6-84
Goals, Sharks: McKeon 5, Hill 3, Nguyen, Ryan, Devine, Wise, Gehling. Lions: McLaren 3, Raines 2, Darren Bradshaw 2, Keating, Martin, Morrison, Banfield, S Ling, Gram.
Best, Sharks: Nguyen, Tandagoc, Stephens, Coughlin, Round. Lions: Martin, McLaren, Copeland, Mapleston, Wright.

we are now currently sitting in 4th position after last weeks loss.... if broadbeach beat Northern eagles... which is unlikely to happen... but i will surely have to go for the cats as they did pull one out of the bag in a high scoring clash against redlands last week..... 148- 103 we can then get back into 3rd & we can still gt our second chance back.. which will be good for us.... it is too easy for the top team to win the cup... as we found out last year... u get the frist week off,..... then you have a game in the second round... but u can lose & still get into the GF as we did last year.....

so we are most definatly in the finals & i know we will have a great team coz of james' return from the snow & i am very upset with ash being out.... sniff sniff.... it was sad............. he said it is pretty bad.... but i am unable to comment on what the injury is.... because... he is a mumbler.... ehehehhehehe & for the finals we will once again have the size of Nick Van Bekkum & hopefully the brut strength of shane ling... so it should be good

Originally posted by keatings_gal
& SB u woul dbe proud.... michael was every where

Yep thats right. Sounds like he had a good game. Brings up an interesting week at selection night. With the Injury to McRae and Bradshaw not doing what is required, will there be the one change and bring Lynch in, or will there be the 2 which gives Michael a sniff. I hope McRae isnt badly injured. Hopefully its a one week injury or hopefully its not that bad and he can make the trip to Geelong.

yeah i dunno....
i reckon it is pretty bad... i dont want to say it... but for him to just go down straight after the siren & not wait for the other guys to meet him & go off together as the other bench warmers do.....it doesnt look too good... maybe when they tell us... they can tell us what is wrong with ash... hehehhehehe mumbler.. LOL

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest Game Of The Year For The Ressies So Far

Remove this Banner Ad

Back