Black Diamond AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think N/Castle definiteley deserve to be the favourites on present form, but i dont beleive they are unbeatable!! Its fair to say that in recent weeks Killarney Vale have dropped off (although last week against Wyong seem convincing) so it will be interesting this week to see how they shape up against the red hot City at Adelaide Street Oval.

As has been the case forever, Cardiff, despite a shock loss to Warners Bay a couple of weeks ago, are still a serious contender and i personally think they are just as likely as City of taking out the premiership. They still have some class players and have a knack of winning the big games!

Warners bay are no doubt going to wrap up 4th (possibly 3rd) spot, and im sure will cause some serious headaches come finals time...good luck to the team who finishes 3rd and has to play them in the minor-semi! with a full side on the paddock they really have some talent and plenty of mongrel.

Its gonna be an interesting few weeks leading intothe finals and i reckon the finals series is going to be one of the closest battles ina few years!!

Gday guys, can anyone confirm a rumour i heard(but hvnt researched much)that Newcastle No1 centre of ground collapsed after all the recent rain?? I may be looking stupid here so can anyone shed light on it. Will finals be held there still?If not where??
Not the centre, a three metre hole in a forward pocket.

A concrete drain under the ground simply popped its lid off and forced the lid through the surface, such was the massive volume of water during the big storm.

Repaired and City seniors played there last Saturday.

Not the centre, a three metre hole in a forward pocket.

A concrete drain under the ground simply popped its lid off and forced the lid through the surface, such was the massive volume of water during the big storm.

Repaired and City seniors played there last Saturday.
Much appreciated, footy trip is on like donkey kong. The Jets will be egging on former player Mick Kemp if Newy make it of course(and we're only going to prelim final wkend, so rent-a-crowd is coming!!)

What is happening down at Cardiff?
All wouldn't be lost, they are still more than capable of winning it, but you cant expect to win every year.

Its a cycle at times.

Probably the biggest concern is that as the top dog, at the moment they get the majority of the new recruits to the town as well.

If they drop off the top perch, these will dry up to a certain extent and this could further hurt their ability to stay number one.

Its the time spent when you are down or on the way down that tends to define a club, not when things are flying when you are on top.

Losing Krake and especially Ryan was always going to be a challenge.

The Hawks posters felt they had them covered, but its the depth that losing key players effects as much as the run on team.

No one write off Cardiff just yet, if there's a team with big game experience it's them. Injuries have effected their season a bit this year, but you don't feel injuries in the finals. A few years ago Cardiff were in a similar boat, their season wasn't panning out as everyone had expected, but all they needed was one match to turn it all around, don't be surprised if this develops into a similar scenario, I still think they're the biggest threat to City taking the crown this year.

I think you would be stupid to write Cardiff out of the equation at this stage. Granted, they have not been the force of previous seasons.....losing key players this year like they did was always going to test them. They do have the bonus of many years of finals experience, and I am sure Coach Dugan will be have them primed come finals time.
From what I have seen this season, City will be hard to beat though. The cohesion on field, coupled with height, speed and a good club attitude has given many club's a headache throughout 2007. Any team who can knock them off will surely be worth the crown!!
Although Warners Bay are sprouting of their player returns, and showing some good form at the moment, I am not sure if they can hold it together through the finals. They are a young squad, who can be proud of their achievements this year. However, finals are a different story, and maybe this year is not their year. They have shown lack of depth when injuries hit (or lack of discipline.....suspensions!!), so with 4 rounds to go, a few injuries could really harm their chances.
Killarney Vale are starting to show a few weaknesses and tending to blame injuries. Although they are a factor, all clubs go through this and need to deal with it best they can. In saying that, the Bombers boast a strong forward line, and much run out of the guts. They have shown they can be competitive against any team in the comp, and on their day could could quite easily slip themselves in to the Grand Final.
Although the other teams have battled through this year, the finals look set with Terrigal and Gosford fighting it out for fifth spot. Both teams are proud Central Coast clubs, and wanting to finish better than the other, could produce some upsets in the last few rounds.

I agree that it would be far to early to write off Cardiff. At the moment im putting them in the GF against City as i just think they have too much big game experience for both Killarney Vale and Warners Bay.

In saying this, Warners Bay appear to be finding some form and on their day definitely have what it takes, while Killarney Vale seem to be falling off the pace slightly and are hanging onto second spot thanks to their good start to the season.

The last few rounds should be interesting as i think there might be some upsets take place with the likes of Terrigal and Gosford no doubt going to push a few of the top sides.

Warners Bay V Terrigal and Gosford V Killarney Vale are set to be great matches and i have a feeling the results might cause some interest.

Tips:

Gosford V Killarney Vale - Gosford by 6 goals
Cardiff V Nelsons Bay - Cardiff by 15+ goals
City V Wyong - City by 10+ goals
Warners Bay V Terrrigal - Warners by 1-2 goals

Look out for the Tigers this week, theve done it before (2006) and beaten the top teams over the last few rounds when playing at home, and usually when they cause an upset they do it comfortably.

I wouldnt be suprised if Terrigal got up either as they have several key players back and are still trying to keep their very slim finals hopes alive. A loss to Warners would give them no chance of getting through.

Its all exciting stuff!!!!!!

Intersting round, 2 games amyway.

Really crucial games when the teams fighting for the last spots in the Finals go head to head.

Lose 2 or 3 of these and the seasons history.

Gosford V Killarney Vale - Killarney Vale by 3 goals
Cardiff V Nelsons Bay - Cardiff by 25 goals
City V Wyong - City by 20 goals
Warners Bay V Terrrigal - Warners by 1-2 goals Could go either way.

WOW! We're putting tips in for the City v Wyong on a Thursday. There's a chance it might rain on the weekend and with the game being played at No.1, I might just hold my tip back for this game.

WOW! We're putting tips in for the City v Wyong on a Thursday. There's a chance it might rain on the weekend and with the game being played at No.1, I might just hold my tip back for this game.

Took that into account with the 20 for city and the 25 for the Hawks

Attended the Gosford Cardiff clash at Adcock Park. Was a pretty good contest up until half time, until Gosford dropped their bundle at half time and the Hawks ran riot after that point. If the Hawks can display this week against City they could spring an upset, mind you City are a very formidable outfit. Cardiff had good players in Gibson and Sheldon who were given far too much latitude by their opponents and ran riot through the middle of the ground, with poor manning up and some non-existent chasing from Gosford on-ballers who were all too happy to run when Gosford had the ball. The tall Cardiff forwards won many one-on-one contests due to their sheer size. I must say it was a surprise to see the regular Gosford fullback playing in the reserves, from what i have seen he is definitely one of the better fullbacks in the competition and the Tigers needed his size on Saturday.
Will be interesting to see how Adam Dugan fares at the tribunal this week. Was a pretty ordinary incident considering the game was spite free and with hardly any time left he was involved in a silly incident.
Judging by the results of the other games, Killarney with an expected win, City comfortably over Terrigal and congratulations must go to Courtney Knight on his 100th of the season, a great effort for a young player. Wyongs win over Warners Bay has opened up a can of worms, and is their best win since they have come back into the Black Diamond. Certainly heats up the battle for 5th position with Wyong having Terrigal and Gosford in the last 2 rounds. I wont be surprised if we see Wyong 5th, Terrigal 6th and Gosford 7th by the end of the season

"Will be interesting to see how Adam Dugan fares at the tribunal this week. Was a pretty ordinary incident considering the game was spite free and with hardly any time left he was involved in a silly incident"

Dugan got 2 + 1 + deffered striking charge
will be interesting to see his involvement in coming matches, correct me if im wrong but he is not allowed on the ground at all or in coaches box

In regard to the battle for 5th its a different ladder than most predicted at seasons start and that should give hope to those clubs, killarney finished 6 or 7th last year to top 3 with a 3 or 4 players as welll as losing their gun Austerberry so plenty of hope for the future - especially if mooted additions to 1st grade eventuate-

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"In regard to the battle for 5th its a different ladder than most predicted at seasons start and that should give hope to those clubs, killarney finished 6 or 7th last year to top 3 with a 3 or 4 players as welll as losing their gun Austerberry so plenty of hope for the future - especially if mooted additions to 1st grade eventuate-

Cant agree more!!!

Definitely plenty of light at the end of the tunnell for sides like Gosford, Terrigal and Wyong as a lot can happen in an off-season and for a club like gosford who has strong juniors and a growing list of quality players, it appears as though the coming years should continue to improve for them.

What Killarney Vale would give to have Austerbery back, Terrigal for Angus Darling and Cardiff for Mick Ryan. I wonder how much influence these players might have had on the 2007 comp!!

The suspension of Adam Dugan is a shame for Cardiff, but they are a very strong club with plenty of ex-players with bucket loads of experience floating around who can easliy fill in over the coming weeks. I have a feeling they might knock City off this week!!

Not long now and we will be into the finals and seeing some great footy...cant wait!!

G'day all,

I just spoke to Scott Ledwidge re a couple of things.

1. Adam Dugan was suspended "as a player" so is still allowed to coach.

2. The rumours we heard about biased umpiring in the Woy Woy v Lake Macquarie game appear unfounded. Scott advises that only 2 yellow cards were issued in the game, and that was one for each side.

Hey guys. Been an interesting past few weeks in my opinion. The City juggernaut continues to roll on, Killarney should wrap up second spot, Cardiff hit some good form against us last week and Warners after looking like theyd started to time their run to perfection having a loss to Wyong last week. The battle for 5th heats up with Terrigal, us (Gosford) and Wyong and Nelson Bay unfortunately struggling big time and propping up the ladder.
Shapes as a massive weekend of footy this weekend and im sure all eyes will be on the Cardiff City clash. I think City might have a bit too much strength up front and should get up by around 3 goals, mind you Cardiff hit some good form last week and cant be counted out.
Warners should rebound from last week and have a big win over the Marlins. Warners looked like theyd hit some good form before last week while Nelsons have just not got the player strength they once had and look destined to be doing the dreaded lap around Burwell Oval after the last game.
Our game vs Killarney should be interesting. Killarney had too much class for us last time and had a convincing win, however Pagey being suspended will help our cause a bit and if we can shut their midfield down we are half a chance. Ive gotta give a wrap to Aaron Monk who has been playing a few games in the Swans reserves and has been going real well from all reports. Hes in the Swans side again tomorrow and hopefully he can have a big game and show what a talent he is. Im tipping Gosford by 2 goals because im out injured and me not playing can only benefit the boys by not having to carry me.
The last game between Wyong and Terrigal is going to be a tough tight contest i think. It is a tragedy to see Maurie rubbed out for the last 2 games of his career according to the BDAFL website, if anyone deserves a farewell game in this comp it is Maurie. He has been the face of the league since its inception, with god knows how many newspaper articles and headlines, has never been a dirty player, and people who dont know much about this league still identify it with the name Maurice Goolagong. Surely they could have only given him 1 week with 1 week suspended sentence. He is a legend of footy in this region and it is an absolute shame if he bows out on that note. Im tipping Wyong in a bit of an upset and to have 3 sides on 20 points going into the last round so there is still a bit to play for going into the final game for us Wyong and Terrigal

The suspension of Adam Dugan is a shame for Cardiff, but they are a very strong club with plenty of ex-players with bucket loads of experience floating around who can easliy fill in over the coming weeks. I have a feeling they might knock City off this week!!

Your a wise man Waugh- i cant see anyone challenging the Hawks after that display- they would have to implode to miss out on another premiership- back to the drawing board and 2008 for the pretenders

Only one round to go...
Hows the season going to finish up??
How will the finals unfold???
Its shaping up as a great finals series, I think on current form its hard to go past City and Cardiff, but on their day, both Killarney Vale and Warners Bay have the ability to take it out.

It will be interesting to see who finished up in second spot, if Killarney Vale loose this weekend and Cardiff win, it would be likely that Cardiff will finished in 2nd spot on percentage. What a cracker final that will be, Cardiff V City at No.1.

Interestingly, if Kilarney Vale were to Loose to Warners Bay this weekend, both sides would meet again the following weekend in an elimination final.

Some great footy coming around the corner!!

What would be our thoughts on the Elliot Davey Medal this year. My thoughts are as follows on who would be a chance from each team-:

Killarney Vale- Rick White (like him or hate him...he has played well this season) or Jackson Ireland

Nelson Bay- Glenn Stone

Wyong Lakes- Peter Maloney or Tim Hillman

Newcastle City- Courtney Knight......other players will take votes off each other after a consistent team performance

Gosford- Aaron Monk or Steven Church

Cardiff- Liam Gibson

Terrigal- Cameron Grentell or Peter Van Dam

Warners Bay- Chris Gordon or Josh Molan

Agree with your Elliott-Davey medal predictions, although i feel Steven Church has missed a few games which might cost him a few votes, Tad Walford will be up there.

I also think Adam Clarke from Cardiff should poll pretty well as should Tim Cotter from City.

Its going to be a really close year, as without the likes of Clint Austerberry, Angus Daling and Mick Ryan who are all real vote getters, the door has swung right open.

Id say the top 5 (in no particular order might be)

Liam Gibson
Courtney Night
Rick White
Adam Clarke, and
Tim Cotter

I think it will be a close one!

I think the legue medal is wide open this year, any one of a number of players are in with a chance. My top picks would be Sheldon and Gibbo from Cardiff, Courtney and Mitch Knight would have to poll a few votes from City, Gordo from Warners and Ireland from Killarney. From Gosford Id be looking at Steve Church, he might have missed a few games, but hes probably been our best player in 9 games and plays a style of footy that should attract votes.

Are Warners Bay the real deal? Or have they played their Grand Final already? Who cares! No more Cardiff unti 2008! In any grade! Well done Warners the only team to beat Cardiff twice this year.

They must have something to perform in a pressure finals situation. Although Cardiff would have missed Shaun Simpson today, you can't rely on one player to get you through.
Well done to the young bulldogs outfit. Their enthusiasm and determination at the ball could just get them in to the big game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back