Multiplat Black Myth: Wukong

Remove this Banner Ad

I just think that believing every game out there owes us representation and has to reflect current day is just odd and to factor it in to the final score is weird. Same goes for those who think games owe them hot female characters, like dismissing Star Wars Outlaws on her looks alone is absurd. To me it's narcissicism in it's purest form and it sadly permeates off both ends. It would be like me going up to Tarantino and demanding his movies must represent my identity.

It doesn't surprise me that this game's performance is not gonna go well though. It looks like it will melt a lot of gpus

That's a reasonable stance, but again you've taken a minor pain point of the larger review and framed it as the only reason it scored so low. She never said it was owed, just that it's absence was apparent. That is a totally reasonable thing to note!

I agree with you generally on artistic license, I just detest how (gamers especially) frame every grievance as such. Now this poor author will inevitably get an absolute tirade of nonsense directed at her despite penning a perfectly valid critique.

That's a reasonable stance, but again you've taken a minor pain point of the larger review and framed it as the only reason it scored so low. She never said it was owed, just that it's absence was apparent. That is a totally reasonable thing to note!

I agree with you generally on artistic license, I just detest how (gamers especially) frame every grievance as such. Now this poor author will inevitably get an absolute tirade of nonsense directed at her despite penning a perfectly valid critique.

She didn't say it, but to me that heavily implies it. I can accept it's not her only issue with the game. Combing through pieces of art for stuff like that to take a point off the score is a bit much imo. I guess we agree to disagee. But I digress.

Ignoring the significance of arguably Chinese culture's most famous mythology story that's mainly about Buddhism then suddenly make it about western corporation's definition of diversity seems disrespectful to Chinese culture, ngl

I don't buy the usual right wing chud bullshit but eastern asian media has always been seen by the west as just another vehicle they can push their agenda on without any respect or regard for their culture

Ignoring the significance of arguably Chinese culture's most famous mythology story that's mainly about Buddhism then suddenly make it about western corporation's definition of diversity seems disrespectful to Chinese culture, ngl

I don't buy the usual right wing chud bullshit but eastern asian media has always been seen by the west as just another vehicle they can push their agenda on without any respect or regard for their culture

Again, the only thing actually said was that the author would have liked some more female characters, of which there are plenty in Journey to the West.

The review itself is utterly harmless, people are just having reactionary takes based on hearsay rather than what was actually written.

Again, the only thing actually said was that the author would have liked some more female characters, of which there are plenty in Journey to the West.

The review itself is utterly harmless, people are just having reactionary takes based on hearsay rather than what was actually written.

I've read Journey to the West back as a teenager, women consist of either random characters in heaven or spider monsters/witches/etc etc

People should not criticise the contents of Journey to the West if they aren't even familiar with the work, I don't like chuds but in this instance the reviewer's out of line and smacks of disrespecting what Journey to the West is and means to China

Last edited:
View attachment 2082902

Just to hammer home this narrative being run by the very chuds you are lamenting. Misinfo so easy to spread.

Not sure what you're trying to get at, I assume the misinfo is that the review score is the way it is because of the lack of "diversity"? Because the review did dedicate an entire section talking about the lack of women in the game

If anything, you should blame the journalist who wrote the review and made diversity a major point of it when it's wholly inappropriate context to talk about these things, all she did was give the chuds rage bait to feed off of.

Not sure what you're trying to get at, I assume the misinfo is that the review score is the way it is because of the lack of "diversity"? Because the review did dedicate an entire section talking about the lack of women in the game

If anything, you should blame the journalist who wrote the review and made diversity a major point of it when it's wholly inappropriate context to talk about these things, all she did was give the chuds rage bait to feed off of.

No matter how you wish to portray it, they didn't give it a 6/10 solely due to a perceived lack of feminine characters. THAT is bullshit.

More stuff coming out today about them setting ridiculous guidelines for sponsored streams. If it quacks like a duck...

No matter how you wish to portray it, they didn't give it a 6/10 solely due to a perceived lack of feminine characters. THAT is bullshit.

More stuff coming out today about them setting ridiculous guidelines for sponsored streams. If it quacks like a duck...

I don't care about review scores, I think it's a dumb concept in general, but the only thing that mattered was whether she did talk about the lack of diversity in her review, which she did for an entire section. Whether it influenced the score doesn't really matter.

Yes, the devs are clearly idiots going by their record, and I won't blame anyone for not playing the game due to how terrible they are as people, but that is separate from whether a Journey to the West story should or shouldn't be criticized for lack of women. If they tell people that they shouldn't play the game because the devs are idiots, sure I'd understand, but the point is more that there wasn't enough women in the game, which I find kinda misses the point of Journey to the West.

Besides, if devs being sexist pigs disqualifies a game then Ubisoft and Blizzard games should immediately be out of the question, but then I remembered a lot of reviewers shilling the hell out of D4 last year

downloading now

Bounce Happy Dance GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It scratches an itch?

Early thoughts? Yay or nay?

Yay. I only got to the third area of the first chapter but so far, so good.

My shortest summary would be: think God of War in terms of linear areas but a central open hub area (I'm not up to that get but I saw it in some videos). Combat is fast and slick. There are moves and abilities. Common trash is pretty straightforward but bosses have move sets like a Souls boss (most obvious comparison). There seems to be main bosses and smaller roaming ones like say Elden Ring.

It's definitely its own game even if it has some obvious inspiration. The last I checked it has 2.2 million concurrent players on Steam smashing records. Chinese developer tapping into Chinese market is paying off.

I don't know about console yet or lower spec and non-RTX systems but I thought it was actually really well optimised already. It's just a very demanding game. The first thing I do these days, especially with any UE game is check my hardware utilisation and I was getting full load on my GPU which is great sign that there is no CPU bottlenecking which has plagued games the last couple years. No stutter either as the game has proper shader compilation.

The game also defaults to Lumen which is pretty savage. Something I didn't know but saw it on HUB was that by enabling RT which automatically disables the UE5 Lumen lighting and shadows, you only suffer a ~6% penalty but then that RT is also scalable so you can pick performance back up.

For actual performance data they used a 4070ti at 1440p which is still pretty high end but can be scaled down to 1080p for those with older cards or up for those on 4080/4090 and higher resolutions, but I was still amazed they landed on mostly cinematic settings with RT and DLSS at quality. I went with Very High and frame gen to keep it around 120-140fps on my system but I'll tinker around with settings closer to theirs tonight.

I don't know about console yet or lower spec and non-RTX systems but I thought it was actually really well optimised already. It's just a very demanding game. The first thing I do these days, especially with any UE game is check my hardware utilisation and I was getting full load on my GPU which is great sign that there is no CPU bottlenecking which has plagued games the last couple years. No stutter either as the game has proper shader compilation.

The game also defaults to Lumen which is pretty savage. Something I didn't know but saw it on HUB was that by enabling RT which automatically disables the UE5 Lumen lighting and shadows, you only suffer a ~6% penalty but then that RT is also scalable so you can pick performance back up.

For actual performance data they used a 4070ti at 1440p which is still pretty high end but can be scaled down to 1080p for those with older cards or up for those on 4080/4090 and higher resolutions, but I was still amazed they landed on mostly cinematic settings with RT and DLSS at quality. I went with Very High and frame gen to keep it around 120-140fps on my system but I'll tinker around with settings closer to theirs tonight.

Yep, its running fine on mine and my PC is nearly 3 years old. Only issue I've had is some choppiness in the cinematics. Gameplay been smooth.

Only in the start area but I think the GOW comparison with some more Souls like bosses (though not their level of difficulty, at least so far) is pretty apt.

Planet Of The Apes Wonderful Day GIF by 20th Century Studios

It's definitely its own game even if it has some obvious inspiration. The last I checked it has 2.2 million concurrent players on Steam smashing records. Chinese developer tapping into Chinese market is paying off.

Estimates are pretty crazy, putting the number at approx 90% of the steam playerbase being from China to put it in perspective.

Its a 9/10. Somethings that annoy me is no map, out of bounds areas not clearly defined, some more opened world elements would be nice. But it plays great, bosses perfect difficulty.

The clips that end a chapter are gorgeoud, putting the art into gaming

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat Black Myth: Wukong