Multiplat Black Myth: Wukong

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the complaints about this from a review I read was not enough variation of enemy models: wtf.

In the first chapter alone:

3 types of standard Fox samurai
Archer Foxes
Crow samurai
Humanoid monk with staff
Snake samurai and skeleton versions
Frog assassins
Plant monster

Bosses and mini bosses:
Bull tutorial boss
Larger assassin fox that becomes summon
Wolf with flame staff that becomes summon
Snake summoner monk
Giant Frog
Naga Samurai
Two giant headed psychic monks one with zombie summons
Black wind bear in 2 forms

At least 18 different models in the first level alone.

Finished chapter one. Wow, I feel kind of guilty about one part

Killing Elder Jinchi. He seemed kind of sad, but I killed him and moved on. Then I watched him in the ending of the chapter and figured there was even more to him and read his lore tab. Still not content I found the following. Besides seeing a few episodes of Monkey Magic as a kid I never read Journey to the West so the lore is very new to me and I'll be definitely looking this stuff up after each chapter.

This will take some getting used to I think. Up to the temple boss. Nearly had him first go, but left it there. The wolf dude nailed me a few times before I got him and the whispering wight I gave up on and ran around.

So yeh, it's been kinda like God of War, but every boss is the Valkyrie Queen!

Not overly familiar with the mythology, but is Monkey Magic the same monkeys as these?

This will take some getting used to I think. Up to the temple boss. Nearly had him first go, but left it there. The wolf dude nailed me a few times before I got him and the whispering wight I gave up on and ran around.

Not overly familiar with the mythology, but is Monkey Magic the same monkeys as these?

Yeah Monkey Magic is based off Journey to the West which basically Chinese Lord of the Rings. This is a sequel to that story.

I think Wandering Wight is put there as a distraction. I gave up early and moved on too then levelled up a bit. I just couldn't keep up with his damage and kept running out of stamina against him early. Not far ahead of him some more parts of the game unlock so he is worth skipping to get those anyway. Once I went back and killed him I found the rest of the bosses of the chapter much easier so he could be some sort of attunement. I think only two more bosses of the chapter gave me any real grief.

I was only familiar with Monkey Magic too and this is set after the events of Journey to the West. At the end of the chapter it's worth searching for the lore as it's really really cool how it has been done in this game. When you're done with chapter one check my spoiler in my last post for example.

ok Tiger Vanguard is the first time I've felt a boss is actually bullshit. Has literally a 9-10 move combo and when he turns to stone there is a 50/50 chance he'll transfer to the dash attack that has no tell and will cover any distance to you in a fraction of a second.

Best boss I've fought so far. Such an achievement to beat. Last boss of that zone is really difficult too.

Best boss I've fought so far. Such an achievement to beat. Last boss of that zone is really difficult too.

I'm starting to hate it. Having better luck using the serpent scale armour once I clicked that the fight is in water but he keeps getting me with some sort of bullshit. That flip in the air tracks you so it's really hard to dodge, he can break immobilise and can do his stone skin ability thing when you're mid combo which can completely **** you. I think I might have to sleep on this one because it's giving me the shits at the moment to the point where it's just not feeling fair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a reasonable stance, but again you've taken a minor pain point of the larger review and framed it as the only reason it scored so low. She never said it was owed, just that it's absence was apparent. That is a totally reasonable thing to note!

I agree with you generally on artistic license, I just detest how (gamers especially) frame every grievance as such. Now this poor author will inevitably get an absolute tirade of nonsense directed at her despite penning a perfectly valid critique.
Hate to go down the rabbit hole but those shitty internet gaming 'journalists' have spent months shitting on this game because IGN mistranslated some tweets and they've spent the last year accusing them of 'misogyny' and 'sexism' which the studio has refused to comment on because there's actually no proof to the allegations.

Then there was the extortion attempt by Sweet Baby Inc.

Anyway, back to the game.

Playing it right now and it's awesome.

Definitely not a Soulslike like people initially expected, it's more God of War, Dante's Inferno, Darksiders, etc.

Probably a good one to wait for I think, with the amount of success they've had hopefully they will be well resourced to optimise it.
I'm playing on PC and it's smooth as butter.

Playing with mouse and keyboard too. Usually I hate playing these kind of games on M&K but this feels good.

Once you get the wolf transformation he's a lot easier.

Hate to go down the rabbit hole but those shitty internet gaming 'journalists' have spent months shitting on this game because IGN mistranslated some tweets and they've spent the last year accusing them of 'misogyny' and 'sexism' which the studio has refused to comment on because there's actually no proof to the allegations.

Then there was the extortion attempt by Sweet Baby Inc.

Anyway, back to the game.

Playing it right now and it's awesome.

Definitely not a Soulslike like people initially expected, it's more God of War, Dante's Inferno, Darksiders, etc.

Jesus christ, imagine talking shit about journos while parroting something as obviously bullshit as that. 😂

Last edited:
Famous "one last go then I'm going to bed" for the win.
Theres also a secret boss on that level that gives you a great staff that does 60 damage that makes this level so much easier.

Theres also a secret boss on that level that gives you a great staff that does 60 damage that makes this level so much easier.

I'm trying to avoid spoilers but at this stage it's getting hard when my feeds are just plastered with Wukong. I'm pretty sure I missed one boss in chapter 1. I didn't want to spoil it for myself and look up exactly where but learnt that it's "behind a waterfall". I went back to the first chapter area tonight and scoured what I presume was every inch and couldn't find it. I'm sure I'm going to miss a boss or two in chapter 2 because there seems to be more places to hide things and get lost.

I'm trying to avoid spoilers but at this stage it's getting hard when my feeds are just plastered with Wukong. I'm pretty sure I missed one boss in chapter 1. I didn't want to spoil it for myself and look up exactly where but learnt that it's "behind a waterfall". I went back to the first chapter area tonight and scoured what I presume was every inch and couldn't find it. I'm sure I'm going to miss a boss or two in chapter 2 because there seems to be more places to hide things and get lost.
You have to find a secret item in chapter 2 to unlock it. Very unclear. There are 3 secret bosses in chapter 2. Unfortunately very easy to miss so you really have to look shit up if you want to fight them. One of them you have to find an item back track to three seperate and uncommon locations to activate the item.

Jesus christ, imagine talking shit about journos while parroting something as obviously bullshit as that. 😂
Game Science tweeted it themselves.

Kim Belair has a video of her 3 years ago telling people in the industry to essentially 'blackmail' their marketing teams with the prospect of bad publicity if they don't use these consultancy groups.

We've just seen nearly 12 months of the biggest gaming publications on the internet run a smear campaign against Black Myth Wukong.

Regardless, the game is great and it turns out nobody reads those online publications anymore.

Which is fantastic.

Enjoy the game :)

You have to find a secret item in chapter 2 to unlock it. Very unclear. There are 3 secret bosses in chapter 2. Unfortunately very easy to miss so you really have to look shit up if you want to fight them. One of them you have to find an item back track to three seperate and uncommon locations to activate the item.

Cheers. I did have one spoiled that you might be referring to when I was watching a video today on my lunch break that was meant to be just about tips. Without ruining it for anyone else, in chapter 2 it was collecting eyes and summoning a second boss for a particular fight. The first eye is easy to stumble across so the game is already hinting what to do.

This game is very good at hiding secrets in plain sight but make them so easy to overlook. Even the headless singing man is giving advice when you stop jiving with his tunes and actually pay attention to the lyrics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat Black Myth: Wukong