Blondie & Pretenders in Brisbane cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't you hate it when you buy your tickets 6 months out, then the concert is cancelled when you are so close you can almost heart it?

The problem with outdoor concerts I guess. Too much rain around Brisbane and a rural winery setting was always going to be in trouble.

I have been waiting 30 years to see Blondie especially. Now with them in their 60s, I am hoping they will be playing some home town New York City gigs when I go back there in 2 years. About my only chance.

Downloaded a new song of theirs today too ... 'Mother' is a free download on their website. Not too bad at all.

**** it all. :(

The Wine & Food festival in Perth 2004 had Cold Chisel, The Wailers, Brian Ferry, Bonnie Raitt, Billie Thorpe and the Pretenders. Ms Hynde had an earache and cancelled.

Only other time I had the chance to see them was in 82 with the original line-up. Was awesome, my memories were not spoiled.

Good luck with catching Blondie in the future, have not had the opportunity to see them live.

Because I bought the tickets online, I have to wait 'a week or so' to get my card credited again. I went to an outlet and they said they couldn't do it. Just annoys me more.

l wish l made more of a effort to get tickets when they were in vic no one else l know likes them,l just should of went alone on well.
I ended up doing that with the America/Chicago show recently. I couldn't find anyone interested enough to go along so I went by myself. I am glad I made the effort.

I went along to the concert a few weeks back at Kings Park with my lady. Magic concert. The weather was superb and both Debbie and Chrissie where excellent live.

George T and Joe are next :thumbsu:

Seeing Blondie at Brisbane Riverstage next Thursday. Saints and Stranglers the opening acts. Forecast ... rain. With the heat lately, thunderstorms are not out of the question. Fingers crossed.

Seeing Blondie at Brisbane Riverstage next Thursday. Saints and Stranglers the opening acts. Forecast ... rain. With the heat lately, thunderstorms are not out of the question. Fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed too!

Saw them in Melbourne on monday night. Absolutely unreal! Definitely still know how to entertain a crowd. Good mix of the hits and some new tracks too (a couple are actually really great) Deborah Harry is just completely and utterly awesome. Sounds amazing for a 68 year old. You won't be disappointed!

Stranglers were good too i thought. Not really into much of their stuff but they put on a good set. The Saints...meh, which sucked because I actually really like some of thier stuff.

Here's hoping for decent weather next Thursday!

Got there late so missed the Saints. Thought the Stranglers were pretty damn good. You are right, Debbie Harry is fantastic for her age. Has to rearrange some songs due to the high range required but man, she still has it. Looks great, still has that attitude and is a consumate entertainer. This was a bucket list moment for me. Could not believe I was finally seeing Blondie live. Never thought it would happen. 1979 was when I developed my first celebrity crush. 33 years is a long time to wait.

What's the Riverstage like as a venue? I've had an interest in two acts over the past year that I would have seen at the BEC but they played the Riverstage.

What's the Riverstage like as a venue? I've had an interest in two acts over the past year that I would have seen at the BEC but they played the Riverstage.
First time there. It's an open air, open ground venue and I understand they can configure it in lots of different ways. Basically there is concrete in front of the stage and this was the gold seating, el cheapo plastic chairs lashed together with some sort of plastic ties. We were in gold seating to the left of the stage when facing the front. View was surprisingly limited due to great big amps as they try to fan out the seating at an angle. Silver seating on the grass behind the gold seating would have been much better. They then had a standing GA section on a hill at the back. Aside from the fact you would have been standing on an angle for 3 and a half hours, it looked to be a pretty good view. Port-a-loos to the right of stage, food and drinks to the left but permanent toilets 100m up the hill and a shitload more food vans.

I'm thinking it would have a fantastic atmosphere up the hill in the standing areas. Just a sea of people.

Sound wise, there was little wind around last night so the sound was awesome. I wonder how it would go on a windier night.

Got there late so missed the Saints. Thought the Stranglers were pretty damn good. You are right, Debbie Harry is fantastic for her age. Has to rearrange some songs due to the high range required but man, she still has it. Looks great, still has that attitude and is a consumate entertainer. This was a bucket list moment for me. Could not believe I was finally seeing Blondie live. Never thought it would happen. 1979 was when I developed my first celebrity crush. 33 years is a long time to wait.

Ahh glad that rain stayed away Old Dark Navy's :thumbsu: Yeah I noticed that too with the arrangement of some songs, not only Debbie but Clem Burke also. Wasn't quite as quick on the drums compared to 5 years ago. They still played the shit outta those songs though!

Any personal highlights? ( The crowd in melb went off when they played 'one way or another', and I just about wet myself when 'hanging on the telephone' started up lol)

Personal highlights, well I know every note, every chord of their older stuff so right from the time 'Dreaming' started I was in heaven. Hanging on the Telephone and Call Me among my faves, thrilled they did Union City Blue, enjoyed the remixed Rapture, Atomic was one they have to rearrange.

I always loved One Way or Another right from the time I first bought Parallel Lines. It gets so much recognition these days (only got to #24 back then) because it gets used in movie soundtracks. The crowd definitely marked out for that one, and then again for Heart of Glass of course. Would have preferred one less of their more recent stuff and one more of the older songs like Rip Her to Shreds, X Offender, Sunday Girl, Picture This, Presence Dear, that sort of thing. Definitely would rather they skipped the covers of Relax and You Gotta Fight for your Right to Party. They only performed 16 songs after all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah agree 100% with that. I feel they went one too many with the new material. No complaints from me at all, but would have liked to have seen them replace one of the new songs with a b-side, or a lesser known song for the really die hard fans. Would have killed to hear songs like 'accidents never happen', 'shayla', 'screaming skin' or like you said 'rip her to shreds' or 'sunday girl'.

God i hope they tour again!

Yeah agree 100% with that. I feel they went one too many with the new material. No complaints from me at all, but would have liked to have seen them replace one of the new songs with a b-side, or a lesser known song for the really die hard fans. Would have killed to hear songs like 'accidents never happen', 'shayla', 'screaming skin' or like you said 'rip her to shreds' or 'sunday girl'.

God i hope they tour again!
Oh god yes, Accidents Never Happen, Dreaming and Living in the Real World my absolute favourite tracks from Eat to the Beat, which is every bit as good as Parallel Lines, albeit much more edgy. Have to love Victor from that album. Somebody described it and the clip as early death metal. Has a band ever had so many genres on one album before?

Looking around this music board, I'm not sure how well it would go down but I reckon it might be time for Blondie to have their own Springsteen style thread with YouTube clips to go with it. Absolute pioneers, with real attitude, and brilliant songwriting. Might have to make it a Debbie Harry/Blondie thread as some of her solo stuff, especially early, needs some exploring.

Not the catalogue of the Boss, but you'd go close to having a worthy top 50. Might start tinkering with an OP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Blondie & Pretenders in Brisbane cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

Back