Bluebirds

Remove this Banner Ad

Could not see a problem with it ... would really give us heaps of exposure ... sex does sell and if done relatively tastefully could be a good thing.

BUT as others have pointed out its too fine a line these days with too many people going ballistic and jumping up and down for any excuse under the sun.

In the end I think potential sponsors would have a problem with it in this PC driven environment. So although I would be all for having them cheer me up when the Blues are not doing well would not like to see sponsorship dollars disappear because of them either.

The USA is at the forefront in the world of political correctness and cheerleaders are still a pretty important part of the NBA and NFL.

George Harris was a great innovator and his initiative in introducing "The Bluebirds" was way ahead of its time - the only reason it died was for a lack of sponsorship - I am sure there would be a ways of aligning a current day "Bluebirds" dance troupe with a national brand and they could be utilized doing all sorts of events even outside of the AFL which would only serve to promote the Carlton brand even further.

The USA is at the forefront in the world of political correctness and cheerleaders are still a pretty important part of the NBA and NFL.

George Harris was a great innovator and his initiative in introducing "The Bluebirds" was way ahead of its time - the only reason it died was for a lack of sponsorship - I am sure there would be a ways of aligning a current day "Bluebirds" dance troupe with a national brand and they could be utilized doing all sorts of events even outside of the AFL which would only serve to promote the Carlton brand even further.

This is the line of thinking I intended when first starting the thread ...

There's no doubt there was a whole "sexual" connotation to the original bluebirds ... footy was a real blokey sport way back then ... but there is no reason why this concept can not evolve just as football has to incorporate the family environment which is prevalent in footy today

Dance shows are thriving on reality tv ... so maybe focus on the dancing rather than the obvious "perv" factor and present it to the corporate sector in that manner. It seems to work for that Dancing With The Stars - most guys watch it for the beautiful women - yet their partners are happy with this and enjoy it on a whole other level.

If the Bluebirds were dancers and had a professional or amateur dancing company backing their performances - where they would practice - then they would receive credibility that should remove the whole negative PC angle. Maybe even promote dancers having tryouts for the Bluebirds and making it a sort of big deal to those who make it as being "the best of the best of the dancers".

Cheerleaders are an institution in American Sport and are popular in global sorts ... even if not done properly, it still would create a stir and give us a marketing edge over the rest ... half the battle in marketing is to come up with the idea first and to take a bit of a plunge ... it would definitely get air space from a footy starving media

I remember the BlueBirds quite well. A fantastic pioneering move by our fantastic footy club in that late 70s and early 80s when we were the greatest team in the existence of the league!

I think Sh!tney swans had cheerleaders too, but they asked for too much money and just got Warwick Capper to do it.

There is more sexism on shows like X-factor than the BlueBirds ever had. They were quite tame and tasteyful actually.

I really like the idea, but if we're going to have cheerleaders let's go all the way and have cheerleaders at the level of those in the US college system where it's actually something more resembling gymnastics. That way you've got fit guys, hot girls and spectacular acrobatics and formations. That way, I think you're actually adding a really family friendly element to the pre-match.

Exploitation issues aside, what on earth is entertaining about a handful of freezing cold women in leotards stumbling and high-kicking around the boundary line at footy matches? Give me the sheepdog trials any day of the week.

Exploitation issues aside, what on earth is entertaining about a handful of freezing cold women in leotards stumbling and high-kicking around the boundary line at footy matches? Give me the sheepdog trials any day of the week.

Come on Thy exploitation aside what if the Bordercollies rounded up the BlueBirds,just a thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bluebirds.jpg

There's a clash guernsey in there.

This is the line of thinking I intended when first starting the thread ...

There's no doubt there was a whole "sexual" connotation to the original bluebirds ... footy was a real blokey sport way back then ... but there is no reason why this concept can not evolve just as football has to incorporate the family environment which is prevalent in footy today

Dance shows are thriving on reality tv ... so maybe focus on the dancing rather than the obvious "perv" factor and present it to the corporate sector in that manner. It seems to work for that Dancing With The Stars - most guys watch it for the beautiful women - yet their partners are happy with this and enjoy it on a whole other level.

If the Bluebirds were dancers and had a professional or amateur dancing company backing their performances - where they would practice - then they would receive credibility that should remove the whole negative PC angle. Maybe even promote dancers having tryouts for the Bluebirds and making it a sort of big deal to those who make it as being "the best of the best of the dancers".

Cheerleaders are an institution in American Sport and are popular in global sorts ... even if not done properly, it still would create a stir and give us a marketing edge over the rest ... half the battle in marketing is to come up with the idea first and to take a bit of a plunge ... it would definitely get air space from a footy starving media

They had a handful of Tony Bartuccio dancers, guys and girls, going around before Optus Oval games in the late 90s. They were shit.

No but seriously, lets bring in cheerleaders and watch our attendances and membership numbers skyrocket.

It will, trust me broseph.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bluebirds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back