Bluemour Melting Pot XXI - Like seriously, the polar ice caps have got nothing on us

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough - I just think Carlton is 'short' actual developed A grade players (between the arcs) and very 'long' skinny runts ( developing kids) - maybe one or two of them come on in the next couple of years - maybe not. Going for 'a' Martin isn't exactly an 'endorsement' of some of the highly fancied youth on the list already...and the clock is ticking on the genuine A and B graders in Murphy/Kreuzer/Ed and Simmo....hence 'a' Wines is (to my mind) certainly as good as Shiel and not far behind Coniglio for Carlton needs. Your interest in Caldwell (to me) is just another developing high potential youth - we have plenty on the books already...dont we?
What's the take away of all of that in regards to our future finals chances? We can trade for a player like Wines every so often but we still need some of those "skinny runts" to come on for us to be a chance. That's why I don't understand this forum at times, if we nab our trade targets then it suddenly makes us world beaters but if we don't the world's coming to an end. There has to be an honest assessment of where we are at, we can't go for broke completely.

Can you shed any light on why TLA would have leaked this?

I can't see the logic in it since they know we are committed and tied up with Papley & Martin. We'll only trade for Wines if we have enough time and assets to do so afterwards.

They've now put Wines in a really shit position where he likely can't get to us this year, and will have to stay at Port in a really awkward situation where now a lot of Port fans are pi**ed at him, and maybe his coaches and teammates will question his commitment and whether he'll leave at the end of next year. Made even more awkward by the fact he's co-captain.

Unless they're pushing for Port to trade Wines this year, whether it be us or someone else?

EDIT: Lol at the filters changing 'pi ssed' but i can say 'shit'

There's a good discussion on TC about the Wines saga, the most recent developments from about page 7 but you need to sign up to read I think

I have no doubt that Dodoro is intentionally being obstructionist, the daniher deal will have implications for other clubs and the failure to do the deal is holding things up.

Essendon have done this for years.

I'm assuming it's a very deliberate strategy to both discourage clubs from coming after their players, and encourage clubs to offer overs/accept unders during negotiations.

If the 2 Carlton ruckmen had 23 hitouts each and Pittonet had 24, he could well have been smashed. The twitter post doesn't really tell the story. Doesn't tell us what happened around the ground either.

The trade goes to show there is no point drafting a speculative ruckman. Spends 4 years on the list and then leaves for more opportunity. Still if the Hawks rated him they would have given more than a 1 yr deal.
Hard to judge ruck stats without watching the game and/or getting access to those 'behind closed doors' CD stats. There's hitouts and there's hitouts.

Darcy had 5 more hitouts than Kreuz when we played Freo in round 15 yet the Tractor absolutely wiped the floor with him. Didn't even buy him dinner or offer him a lift home afterwards.

There's a good discussion on TC about the Wines saga, the most recent developments from about page 7 of but you need to sign up to read I think

I really hope it wasn’t Carlton that leaked this story, it would have serious ramifications of players approaching us in the future. I can’t login to TC so I can’t see that discussion, I just hope it wasn’t us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to judge ruck stats without watching the game and/or getting access to those 'behind closed doors' CD stats. There's hitouts and there's hitouts.

Darcy had 5 more hitouts than Kreuz when we played Freo in round 15 yet the Tractor absolutely wiped the floor with him. Didn't even buy him dinner or offer him a lift home afterwards.
Correct.

If you look at Phillips stats in isolation they are excellent but his man always seems to play a better game. Wins his fair share of contests but doesn't halve enough (so his man wins plenty) and often has hitouts to the oppositions advantage that lead to scores.

Given how strongly they've come out a few times hosing down trade rumours I don't think it's that.

They have to come out strong, to protect their brand

Don't be surprised, if they played an active role behind the scenes to cash in and reduce the disharmony from a couple of camps within the group

I know I said that, but the AFL don’t have to approve it, that’s the point

True. They might not. Think we're a very solid chance of exemption because we've used over and beyond the minimum amount of first round picks for each applicable year.

I seriously doubt it was us.
Goes very much against the way we do business.

Exactly. SOS and Agresta have been giving absolutely nothing away on camera or radio. Specifically won't discuss contracted players. Other clubs appreciate this, and play managers appreciate this as they can shop their players (behind the club's back) in confidence.

I have no doubt that Dodoro is intentionally being obstructionist, the daniher deal will have implications for other clubs and the failure to do the deal is holding things up.

Essendon have done this for years.
Surely the afl would give them the move along. It's every bloody year they ruin trade week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back