Bluemour Melting Pot XXI - Like seriously, the polar ice caps have got nothing on us

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

In a severely compromised draft I would not be entertaining that idea

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

But why is it compromised? Because many clubs have access to talent which they want. That means that those clubs need picks so they have trade currency. It’s not like you can sit back and those players come to you. You need to trade to get the right picks in place to not overpay.

I think we’ve seen with GWS this year that clubs WITH the academy and father son players really value earlier picks. It allows them to get a separate player in before they have to use their own early pick. Trading for a first rounder next year may be what we need to get Papley. Or Wines. I doubt we use the pick, just trade it. The way I’ve thought about it is:

- there’s little chance our first rounder gets a lot of games in 2020
- which means they can’t help us much in 2020, but using the pick may erode our ability to get a huge boost from a trade the following year.

An Eg: Next year we could have say pick 5 from Freo. Swans I think have a good academy player. Swans could have pick 8/9. We could trade 5 and our second rounder for Papley and their 8. They then get a 5 standard player, and still get the academy- but avoid using the early pick on him and get to use the points advantage with a later pick.

I suspect a number of these situations will present themselves and having 2 first rounders gives us the chance to take advantage of them.

I just feel that Papley offers something we don't have. A hard nut with some mongrel and obviously the small forward that we need. Really hoping Cuningham gets some continuity next year. He has a huge opportunity waiting for him
Agree. Imagining him in the team was fun. Cuners plus Eddie and maybe someone else from the DFA pool or draft.

Disappointing but not a catastrophe (not suggesting you think that ash)

So
It’s valuable because there will be a few teams trying to trade up next year to get in before bids, and we are after established players. Having two first rounders plus a 2021 first means wed have plenty of currency to do deals.

Not interested in drafting next year, but am interested in taking advantage of clubs who are.
Sorry K I missed your post.

Bombers could go on to play in GFs and no one will care.

However, it’s FAR more likely they don’t get anywhere close. It’s going to take a few years but I think Bombers fans will eventually look back on this and think wtf

Wonder if, given earlier rumours, about Daniher thinking about walking away from the game, he may strongly be thinking about doing just that now, with how Dodo has treated him....I wonder 🤔

Not a fan of Jack Newnes I am afraid, been a real whipping boy of the Saints fanbase over the years.

Would much prefer if we could pick up Riley Knight as a DFA, if we can.

If memory serves me right I think Newnes has given us good lesson in the past !!!
You might be right though...let’s keep Polson and O’Dwyer but not a fella who has played 120 plus consecutive games.

But why is it compromised? Because many clubs have access to talent which they want. That means that those clubs need picks so they have trade currency. It’s not like you can sit back and those players come to you. You need to trade to get the right picks in place to not overpay.

Great comment, clubs needs picks to bid.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bold of Wines to presume he'll have a spot in the reigning premiers midfield in 2021

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

He would have aged nicely by that point.

I'm not sure the AFL can scrap the PSD on a moment's notice after the trade period has closed. If they did, Martin and his manager would be well within their rights to take legal action against restraint of trade. There needs to be a process in place to allow an uncontracted player like Martin to leave his club and land on an AFL list if they refuse to trade him.

Yep charlie wants to be close to the surf down geelong way.

I’m not sure where this idea to trade our pick 9 for next years picks has come from. 20 of the top 40 are linked to academy’s so if say we finish 8th that essentially means 28 of the top 40 will be gone if no bids are in those 1st 8 picks. It’s not really that valuable a trade asset.

Would rather take a kid this year and get a year into him.
Kemp and Stephens are the 2 id be looking at who should be around our pick

FWIW - I suggested swapping for 2020 picks.

Then use that pick to trade for mature player (Papley again?).

Not intending to pick a kid with it.

Yeah and? They wanted Daniher, why not include a player who wanted to leave to get the job done?

Umm maybe because they were shopping our pick 9 to Essendon.

While telling us that they accept our offer in principle by virtue of the fact they were holding and shopping our pick 9 in their deal for Daniher for a whole 9 days, they then undercut us by offering up Papley to Essendon in the last day while we were still waiting on the actual Daniher itself to get Papley to us.

They two faced us.

Umm maybe because they were shopping our pick 9 to Essendon.

While telling us that they accept our offer in principle by virtue of the fact they were holding and shopping our pick 9 in their deal for Daniher for a whole 9 days, they then undercut us by offering up Papley to Essendon in the last day while we were still waiting on the actual Daniher itself to get Papley to us.

They two faced us.
Maybe on face value (and who gives a shit, its their player), swans probably went to SOS and said we cant get the deal done but just to let you know, we are going to offer papley and see if they want him etc.

If they offered papley, it means papley two-faced us, you angry at him?

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back