Bluemour Melting Pot XXXI - Feeling Hot, Hot, Hot! 🔥 🔥 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sam McClure on radio tonight…a couple of things.

First up, saying the club is leaking heavily at the Administration level and a couple of people will pay big time…probably with their jobs. You’d have to think he was insinuating Lloyd and Liddle.

Secondly, and the thing that really annoyed me, he and Healy ripping the club’s handling of this again…with McClure saying Lyon was basically promised the job was his if Clarkson didn’t come through…and then running with that theory as though it was certifiable fact…which I just can’t cop. No chance someone like Sayers would have said that to Lyon.
Absolute 100% Lyon was promised the job two months ago. That part is irrefutable, it happened..

Clarkson just placed a $900,000 bet.
Just rang sportsbet because they completely removed the 'Next Carlton Coach's category from the app.

The guy said it was gone and most likely not coming back. Was a bit bummed. None of the other betting places even have AC as an option but he was paying $5 when I last saw the category before they yanked it off the web.

On CPH1951 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Perhaps it wasn't Sayers' to promise?

I know my MD makes the final call on all matters. no matter how many of his directors and executives might disagree. That's leadership and taking responsibility for your actions. Maybe, just maybe it is a board issue after all and the minority might be right all along.

no-one is forcing you to respond, react, stay, continue your support - there are worse things in life than a confused coach selection process - the escalation of emotions in this place off the back of vast amounts of frogshit is quite extraordinary.........

View attachment 1224514
Its probably safe to say between Carlton being below par for so long and the current situations in Melb/syd that our emotions are heightened

These are my feelings exactly.

To everybody else:

Let's look at what the club have actually done officially.

1. Called for a review
2. Sacked the senior coach and 3 assistant coaches as a result of the review
3. Replaced 4 board members
4. Put together a panel to select a new coach
5. Invited Ross Lyon to apply
6. Put feelers out to see where Alastair Clarkson is at

That's it. That's all they have done.

Everything else has come via the rumour mill and the media, and a large portion of our supporters are melting down over it, and making statements about what a mess we are in, because the rumours they favoured may not happen. People are withdrawing support based off rumours. To those people, I'm wondering if you truly understand the meaning of the word 'support'.

Everyone accepts that Clarkson was target 1 and we did the right thing in approaching him. Can't see how we messed up because he's happy to lay back in the sun collecting a million bucks for doing nothing for a year, before re-entering the fold with his pick of half a dozen clubs.

Then the divisions really start. One group says the board needs to go because they are just going to appoint Lyon and they don't want him. The next group say we want a process, even if it ends up being Lyon. The next group say, just appoint Lyon without a process. Ross the Boss will sort them out.

We go with a process which pleases group 1 and temporarily group 2, while group 3 are livid and wanting to burn the joint down.

Then Lyon decides he doesn't want to compete for the job because he already has runs on the board and doesn't want to risk losing against a novice. Group 1 is even more pleased with this, but starting to worry that we won't get an experienced coach now and the options might be worse than Lyon after all. Group 2 have now crapped their dacks because the field got thinned out and now think we stuffed up with our top two choices. Group 3 have spontaneously combusted, aren't going to support the club anymore and saying things about the club worse than any opposition supporter has ever said. These people have zero control over their emotions or any recognition that their wishlist isn't necessarily the same as everybody else's.

Me ... I wanted change because I can't watch poor on field efforts with nothing changing from week to week. I'm good with the coaching outs. I want the CEO and Footy Boss to go too, but only if we have a replacement signed up. I was happy to get Clarko, happy to get Lyon with one or two misgivings. I'm okay with the Scott boys and while I can sort of see some scope with Buckley, I can't bring myself to warm to him. I'm frightened about another assistant coach from somewhere else coming in with V plates on, unless we can get some very strong and experienced voices around them.

However, I will accept whatever the process decides. It's a different panel to the one that got swayed by Bolton's process and bonding with young men to become well rounded men, so I'm not necessarily concerned about this. We know what our problems are at the moment so that will be a part of any process.

The point is the club are on a hiding to nothing. Our supporters are the problem here. We identified a problem, which everyone complained about all year. We took steps to rectify and everyone is so sure on what that should look like, they refuse to entertain anything else. Why? What is your expertise to judge this?

It feels like it is popular to sh*t all over the club right now, so if you have your rant, you're amongst friends.

I don't mind honest conversations about why we did what we did and how we are moving forward, but kneejerk reactions to the media cycle and rumours just don't make sense, especially since the majority here hate the way the media operates.

Seriously, stop, breathe, rationalise and put your supporter cap back on again. It's not all about you.

Well said!
I wish I could give this 10 likes!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t understand this logic - Leigh Matthew’s is in the conversation as one of the greatest players of all time and one of the greatest coaches of all time. He knows football and football clubs better than anyone that contributes or lurks on this forum… I put great respect in his opinion and so does everyone else with half a brain. If he says we are a basket case…. We are a basket case … he would be well connected enough to know as well.

Just because it hurts doesn’t mean it’s not correct! Hurts more because it’s Leigh Matthew’s

it’s perfectly fine to acknowledge Matthews’ prowess as a player and as a coach, which I have done so multiple times on this board - while also recognising his opinion was past it’s use by date 15 years ago.

That said, we all choose where we draw our perspective from, so if his view resonates with you, I respect that.

there is contradicting info everywhere. first ross pulled out because he didn't want to answer questions, now we went back on our word? something is fishy

No contradiction at all

If you promise someone a role of that nature, then reneg and ask them to participate in a full interview process, what confidence would someone have in the organization

Optics. Like most of what’s happened over the past week is my guess.

If he and Lloyd weren’t it would just bring unwelcomed attraction.

Could be, but what does this say about the quality of the process and the committee?

No contradiction at all

If you promise someone a role of that nature, then reneg and ask them to participate in a full interview process, what confidence would someone have in the organization
well from what we have seen from the ITK, ross didn't want to answer private/confidential questions, now its we have changed our mind. so either we pulled the pin on him or he did on us

Hiring the big name without due diligence got us Malthouse. Process got hawthorn Clarkson instead of Rodney Eade or Terry Wallace.
As I posted earlier - it's not the process as such, its the quality of the process and especially the people involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back