Bluemour Melting Pot XXXII - Reaching fever pitch! 🔥 🔥 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully Levi gets a QLD gig. Looks like there is interest.

Absolutely. The big lad gave his absolute all for us and I couldn't be happier if he gets another gig up there in the nice weather state. Will cheer loudly (not against Carlton).

I query whether his body is up to it though? Might be an injury crisis, minimum contract type deal and he is rather versatile. Good luck to him!

Couldn’t agree more. If it’s Voss, he shouldn’t be marked on his time at Brisbane. For me, he was promoted to the head job well before he was ready back then. He has had 10 years to reflect, learn and modify. I have no problem with anyone the committee choose. To assert that David Parkin and Greg Williams would green light someone who is not up to it, is pretty silly. Cook shook the tree, Clarkson didn’t fall out. Move on.
Having said all that, we don’t know it is Voss and the speculation and spitballing from media and keyboard experts continues.

AFL panels are full of shit appointments over the years. Failed coach is on the CV and he set Brisbane back years. Winning percentage was worse than Teague. We're only going down the Voss path because he's the last experienced coach left available. Essentially, he did a Bradbury. Although we interviewed first timers were were never going down that path. Carlton want finals next year, good luck with our culture, hence wanted experience. Not to mention to save face after what we said when we sacked Teague. Not sure why we'd risk going down that path. Hopefully he's not the 6th coach to go down in 12 years in 2 years time.

Of course, if we are 4-0 after 4 games it'll be a case of "what a great appointment".....haha.

Tbf I don't think Brady becomes Brady if he doesn't play under Billy B. Those first 2 SBs at least, maybe first 3, he was a game manager. A very good one, no doubt, but it wasn't until 07 where he really broke out into the best QB in the league discussion along with Peyton.

Does that make Bill more important? Given he provided the structure for Tom to become Tom? Or is Tom more important because he was the player carrying the second dynasty run?
Doesn't have to be one or the other imo. They're both guns, they suited each other for most of Tom's career and their strengths added together into something insanely special.

On the flip side you have someone like Rodgers who should've dominated the 2010s with superbowl appearances but had coaches let him down for half of it and arguably his own attitude towards coaches the other part.

Brady and Belichicks strengths lie in that they worked so damn well together for so long. That and Brady always taking relative unders so the cap pressure was never that enormous at New England.

not 100% either mate he signed a 2 year contract for 2008 + 2009 but was coaching lions in 2009 so im not even sure what he did in 2008 at the eagles but its a pretty bloody minimal resume to be coaching your own afl side

No, Voss signed a 2 year contract with WCE around July 2008 for 2009 & 2010. He never joined them. Brisbane approached a month later and he signed in September 2008. He was still with AIS for 2008.

We've finally got a conclusive NO from Clarkson...

Let's get on with this coaching appointment - I'll accept whoever CFC select as the senior coach
I want us to be as prepared as possible going into 2022 - finals bound :D

Player or coach?
Absolutely. The big lad gave his absolute all for us and I couldn't be happier if he gets another gig up there in the nice weather state. Will cheer loudly (not against Carlton).

I query whether his body is up to it though? Might be an injury crisis, minimum contract type deal and he is rather versatile. Good luck to him!

Apparently a player, but they'd be lucky to get a year out of his body...Probably some off field role combined in the offer, if it eventuates. Can't see him relocating the family for a single season on minimum chips.

What a load of old tosh.

Being an itk isn't some fabled position with guiding standards and principles that govern how they share information. It's someone who's been given information (if they're not outright making it up) and wants to share it on an online forum - nothing more nothing less.

Some people here take this rumour/itk stuff way too seriously.
This!!

AFL panels are full of sh*t appointments over the years. Failed coach is on the CV and he set Brisbane back years. Winning percentage was worse than Teague. We're only going down the Voss path because he's the last experienced coach left available. Essentially, he did a Bradbury. Although we interviewed first timers were were never going down that path. Carlton want finals next year, good luck with our culture, hence wanted experience. Not to mention to save face after what we said when we sacked Teague. Not sure why we'd risk going down that path. Hopefully he's not the 6th coach to go down in 12 years in 2 years time.

Of course, if we are 4-0 after 4 games it'll be a case of "what a great appointment".....haha.
We could also be going down the path that he presented really well, is bringing a game plan that will suit our players, communicates well is about bringing culture to the club etc. Time will tell and unfortunately we are not privy to what goes on during the interviews.

AFL panels are full of sh*t appointments over the years. Failed coach is on the CV and he set Brisbane back years. Winning percentage was worse than Teague. We're only going down the Voss path because he's the last experienced coach left available. Essentially, he did a Bradbury. Although we interviewed first timers were were never going down that path. Carlton want finals next year, good luck with our culture, hence wanted experience. Not to mention to save face after what we said when we sacked Teague. Not sure why we'd risk going down that path. Hopefully he's not the 6th coach to go down in 12 years in 2 years time.

You keep saying this like it's truth...

If you're going to compare Teague and Voss' tenures, you need to look at them with an open perspective.

Brisbane had an aging list needing a refresh or rebuild. 2 of his 5 years Voss got far more wins than either Bolts or Teague ever got.

Teague inherited a list with the early stages of a hard rebuild done. 8 wins after the Bolts rebuild years and 1.5 years at the helm, a single win more than Bolts ever got, is absolutely unacceptable.

If Voss got 10 wins in his 4th year of an old team with players needing to be put to pasture and young kids who, through no fault of Voss, were not getting the development they required, things look mighty rosy with what Voss can potentially achieve with our squad.

Last edited:
I suppose my question is, do you think the panel didn't ask about what Voss learned from his time at Brisbane?

That they haven't interrogated whether he has identified issues?

They just asked him about how the last year went or something?

On SM-A515F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It must be dream come true for Voss to coach Carlton, The team he loved as a kid👍

Interesting relationship. He did barrack for us as a kid.

We actually offered him the senior gig in 2007 before Brisbane did in 2008. He knocked us back.

Unsure who knocked who back before Bolton was appointed in 2015.

We knocked him back in favour of Teague in 2019.

2021 and it's firming that Voss may get the gig.

Last edited:
The inability of people here to understand the concept of change and growth is mind-boggling. That a person might be a very different unit now than he/she was 2 years ago, let alone a decade. The plans they have, the lessons they've learned, the style they've evolved. No-one has the slightest idea what a new coach will bring to the club. The thousands of different permutations that will develop across the coach, the assistants, the players, admin and board. Utterly unique. Good work those supporters here staying positive. Go Blues.
#ThyforPM

Doesn't have to be one or the other imo. They're both guns, they suited each other for most of Tom's career and their strengths added together into something insanely special.

On the flip side you have someone like Rodgers who should've dominated the 2010s with superbowl appearances but had coaches let him down for half of it and arguably his own attitude towards coaches the other part.

Brady and Belichicks strengths lie in that they worked so damn well together for so long. That and Brady always taking relative unders so the cap pressure was never that enormous at New England.
I agree, I always go 50-50 in terms of credit. I say the first 3 were moreso because of Bill, the 2nd 3 were due moreso to Tom. They were a perfect marriage.

As for taking less, it's definitely helped them. It's an easy decision for him though as his wife is worth hundreds of millions more than him. What's a $10m haircut on your salary if it helps you win when your Mrs is making 10x that o_O

Last edited:
Lol, that's quite the understatement.

We all love Murph but we should have cut the cord at least 12 months ago.
Yeah, I'd rather understate that though.

It feels like so many people have a recency bias and look at his whole career as if he'd been carried the whole time.

We forget how good he was for how long.

I just listened to the Barrett podcast - it was nothing more than waffle picked from social media sites (probably here). He is a deadset Carlton hater. Whatever happens he'll come up with a typically snide response. When we win the flag next year I'm going straight to his place with gaffer tape, a drop sheet and a shovel.
Leave your mobile at home 😬

Anyone know where I can contact Clarko? I am about to pen a heartfelt letter that I have very recently been diagnosed with leprosy and it is my dying wish to see the Great Alastair Clarkson coaching Carlton.

If this doesn’t work. Nothing will.

Probably need to send the pen with your finger attached for dramatic effect.

Mark my words, Voss is the greatest appointment in the history of the club. Bigger than Barassi, bigger than Digby Morrell, bigger than Judd. I am looking forward to revisiting this thread in a year's time when we're about to play a Grand Final.

Voss is a terrible appointment. We had the chance to go with a new coach who brought fresh ideas and we played it safe. Voss will be under intense pressure in the latter half of season 2022 with Clarkson potentially available. Mark my words!

I think Voss is a meh appointment. I think he will improve us marginally but can't see us challenging for finals in 2022.

Mullets are a terrible look. A year from now we will look back and cringe.

I think Bailey Smith is onto something with that mullet. Gonna start growing mine now.

----------------------------------------------

now I play the waiting game and selectively quote when the time is right. 😎

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back