Bluemour Melting Pot XXXII - Reaching fever pitch! 🔥 🔥 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to talk of Cerra Pie on SEN, is it possible that a good midfielder wouldn't want to be overshadowed
by a once in generation player such as Walshy?
Or is that unlikely?

Extremely unlikely. In fact, playing alongside said generational player would be an attraction id say.

Comfortably perhaps an exaggeration.

Diesel got more footy & had bigger scoreboard impact. For me the better player.

Voss the better leader.
One played for stats the other played for team success. Not bagging him but I know who I would want to go to war with

Unlikely... think of Voss, Lappin, Black, Akermanis, Power... A good team is a good team working with and for one another... And yeah, Aker was a showboat, but in those premiership years was still working for the team even though he probably required different coaching input. I'd like to think that Cerra would be looking forward to playing with other high performers, seeking to encourage and drive one another toward excellence...
well, three footy heads think it is unlikely, which is a relief.
The thought just popped in my head is all.
Also, I need Arrow's take. He knows stuff. ;) no of fences you lot, but Arrow is a complete footy nut!!

Take a chance on someone with a bit more zip, cerra isn't the answer to our midfield deficiency
Fair enough. I reckon you’re rolling the dice on maybe a 1-2% chance of finding an AA type, and maybe another 10-15% chance of finding someone noticeably better than where Cerra is tracking. On the other side of the coin, a huge chance that you just do the same or worse than Cerra. Give me the certainty every day of the week.

How we would utilise Cerra would be the reason as to recruit or not recruit him. His contribution will add some clearance power to the midfield (avg close to 4 in 2021) and his inside 50s are rather good (14th in the league averaging 5 in 2021). He could play wing and play a rotation with Walsh or Dow in the middle of the ground when looking at centre bounces.

But I think what I would want to see from him is an increase on disposal efficiency. Cerra has a nice penatrating kick on him but his efficiency is rather low for someone who seems the most strongest when kicking (~69%). Now pressure on a midfielder during a chain of play is quite high due to congestion half the time so that could skew that efficiency, but like I said would expect him to improve that especially if he’s going to add i50 entry’s that are going to be of quality.

I think we should pursue if we are nominated, he is at the point where he should be starting to hit his straps and the coming on of him and potentially Dow to a higher level could transform our midfield completely. I saw enough flashes of Dow’s ability in the last half of our season to say he could become damaging if he pulls it together. But, only do the deal if it’s at the value we have of Cerra and we don’t put all our cards on the table. He would be a really great addition, not to mention the incoming Hewett who buffers some of these numbers too.

A lot of the decision of what to give up for Cerra will simply come down to the need of Cerra's skill set within the team. Melbourne were considered to have overpaid for Lever and May at the time, now they have become the cornerstones of the grand final team.

How we would utilise Cerra would be the reason as to recruit or not recruit him. His contribution will add some clearance power to the midfield (avg close to 4 in 2021) and his inside 50s are rather good (14th in the league averaging 5 in 2021). He could play wing and play a rotation with Walsh or Dow in the middle of the ground when looking at centre bounces.

But I think what I would want to see from him is an increase on disposal efficiency. Cerra has a nice penatrating kick on him but his efficiency is rather low for someone who seems the most strongest when kicking (~69%). Now pressure on a midfielder during a chain of play is quite high due to congestion half the time so that could skew that efficiency, but like I said would expect him to improve that especially if he’s going to add i50 entry’s that are going to be of quality.

I think we should pursue if we are nominated, he is at the point where he should be starting to hit his straps and the coming on of him and potentially Dow to a higher level could transform our midfield completely. I saw enough flashes of Dow’s ability in the last half of our season to say he could become damaging if he pulls it together. But, only do the deal if it’s at the value we have of Cerra and we don’t put all our cards on the table. He would be a really great addition, not to mention the incoming Hewett who buffers some of these numbers too.

So, Cerra for Newnes.

I'm all in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough. I reckon you’re rolling the dice on maybe a 1-2% chance of finding an AA type, and maybe another 10-15% chance of finding someone noticeably better than where Cerra is tracking. On the other side of the coin, a huge chance that you just do the same or worse than Cerra. Give me the certainty every day of the week.

Pretty much guaranteed of getting an All Australian with pick six - or thereabouts. Unless your Carlton, SPS, Marchbank, Yarran (6). Then yeah.

AFL drafting is no longer a crap shoot like it was for the blues all the way up till only a few years ago.

Wasn't Cerra 5 ?

Hasn't set the world on fire.

I don't watch 360 often at all but tuned in for Voss. Very disappointed by the quality of the questions. I appreciate there are things that will be repeated across these types of interviews but pretty much all their questions (and Voss' answers) were the same or very similar to those in the official press conference. I was hoping for some original thinking

It's understandable they would ask similar questions...not many people outside carlton fans would have watched the initial press conference.

I hope we are thinking about having a bid at Gold Coasts pick 3 (5) which seems to be on the table.

I think we could start with next year's first and build from there. You can never have too many top 10 picks on your list.

CB

Pretty much guaranteed of getting an All Australian with pick six - or thereabouts. Unless your Carlton, SPS, Marchbank, Yarran (6). Then yeah.

AFL drafting is no longer a crap shoot like it was for the blues all the way up till only a few years ago.

Wasn't Cerra 5 ?

Hasn't set the world on fire.
Pretty much guaranteed of getting an AA with pick 6…..😳

Think AR is going to have to let the boys find the weights room finally if we are to go down Vossy path -- I have always felt we are to light and players haven't seemed to physically progress like there peers ..
Pleasantly surprised with way Voss presenting himself -- I was one who wasn't wanting him even though I admired him as player as he lead through action and determination able to judge momentum shifts and impose himself to change the outcome -- I just didn't know if he could inspire a group as a coach due to his past experience -- To be humbled like he was and go back to bottom and work his way back shows true grit and a self confidence few have ..onwards on upwards ..

100% agree. Everyone wants the new and shiny. Nek minnit… Lochie O’Brien.

I hope we are thinking about having a bid at Gold Coasts pick 3 (5) which seems to be on the table.

I think we could start with next year's first and build from there. You can never have too many top 10 picks on your list.

CB

Would be very surprised if GC were to accept a future mid first rounder for a top 3 pick. Bare minimum we're putting in a second rounder as well, and more likely they'd want a player.

Think AR is going to have to let the boys find the weights room finally if we are to go down Vossy path -- I have always felt we are to light and players haven't seemed to physically progress like there peers ..
Pleasantly surprised with way Voss presenting himself -- I was one who wasn't wanting him even though I admired him as player as he lead through action and determination able to judge momentum shifts and impose himself to change the outcome -- I just didn't know if he could inspire a group as a coach due to his past experience -- To be humbled like he was and go back to bottom and work his way back shows true grit and a self confidence few have ..onwards on upwards ..
agree, I think the weights will become a key part of pre season. It i a definite must.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back