Bluemour Melting Pot XXXII - Reaching fever pitch! 🔥 🔥 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So. I'm going to have my first biggie footie meltdown. Some of the defeatism I've read today has put me off my dinner, which I'll refuse to eat tonight. (Unless its pizza from Red Sparrow on Smith Street)

The 'training wheels' comment came from Chris Judd - a champion footballer who happened to go AWOL on the club. His comment has since become a cliche that even my parrot (Captain Jack) has tired of.

As others have said here, although there is a risk with new coaches, some become remarkably successful. (Clarkson, Hardwick ...)

A younger coach, with a good team of assistants, could really spark the players. Yes, it will take a head coach with real presence - I'm not saying he should be the coach - but I think Kingsley has real steel - for instance.

I liked David Teague, and so did SOME players. But maybe too much or too easily. After the apparent fallout between Cripps and Teague, Cripps did a doorstop at Princes Park, smiled and said, 'na, na, mate. All good, mate. Teague is a great bloke'. Senior coaches are not employed to be 'great blokes'.

I don't think Teague was given great support, and its been tough during the COVID crisis (but tough for all clubs). There were real holes in his coaching that became increasingly apparent. Watching his downbeat pressers, there was a lot more going on than him feeling the club didn't want him (which would have been terrible).He had no answers to turning the on-field stuff around.

So, he had to go, whoever the new coach is (except Stewart Dew). Sayers, if he really wanted (and wants) an 'experienced coach', it seems more likely that this will not be delivered. (But, like others here, I have no real knowledge on this - its just my hunch).

But I don't think any of us want an experienced coach for the sake of it? I would rather a younger coach with energy and passion than someone sitting on their ego (Mick Malthouse?)

I'm not suggesting at all that Clarkson, or Scott, or Lyon would be that sort of coach - but if they don't want us, or we don't want them (obviously someone didn't want Lyon) it is not the end of the football world.

I think we have a good list, with some young players who are yet to have a real go in the seniors - Honey, Ramsay, Philp, Kemp, Durdin etc. (maybe there is no etc.). Stocker is a bull who will only get better. I know that Williams in particular, and Saad to a lesser extent, didn't deliver on expectations. But in a side playing well, both will be better. (I'd back Saad). We will either get Cerra or a top ten pick. And George Hewett, while not being an a-grader, will be good for us.

You know how it's said that so much of the game is played above the shoulders? That's what we need most. Self-belief. And a head, I suppose.
Written like a novel :thumbsu:

I think Ross Lyon was a low risk way to improve our performance....significantly.

An untried coach may have more upside than Ross could achieve, with that comes a lot more risk. If we have a great CEO like Cook maybe the downside risks and pressures can be mitigated. We don't seem to have had the systems or practices in place to give any of our coaches - tried or untried - much chance to succeed in the past 20 years.
Lyon was high risk, high reward in my view. If Sayers hadn’t been tempered by other forces, he’d be our coach.

I am going to have a rant...

I personally discounted Clarko after hearing the Chief say he had spoken to him and he said he wanted a break and then a study tour. He will get a quality job when he is ready.

IMHO, this left RTB as the only man for us. He can handle the politics and the media and the Carlton faithful would trust him enough to give him time to work out the list. He would have accepted on the spot, but we decided to crucify him with a process that wouldn't have told us anything about whether he can coach. And BTW his coaching ability is less important than the ability to survive.

I also share Matt Rendell's view (as per the Age) that we have a number of conditional footballers on our list. RTB would be able to flush them out, quite possibly at the expense of some early 2022 losses.

Without RTB, it is increasingly looking like we are hoping for 3rd time lucky with a rookie coach. He won't have the luxury of time nor the freedom to experiment with the list. He needs to get lucky with injuries and hope we get a friendly draw or we will be back here doing it all again in 2 years time with less time to open our window.

Please don't FIU...

CB
I don't know what FIU is? (f..... idiot, you). I agree with you and Rendell on the 'conditional footballers' - yep, they have to be called out, and work or go.

I would really like all the ITKs to read this message of an experience I had yesterday.

Three days a week for fitness I drive one of those coles online delivery trucks. It’s actually pretty gruelling work and in these times of covid very helpful to a lot of people (elderly, in quarantine, disabled, mothers with small kids etc.
We are working pretty hard at the moment and yesterday in the middle of an intersection turning right into banked up traffic …. Now normally in this situation someone always lets you in, first car was sort of half there half not, could have let me in if he wanted to but pushed the envelope so to speak …. All good. Next car was right up his arse following cm by cm so that he could make sure I didn’t get in, in front of him ….. obviously so important as to get home that ten seconds earlier.

As he went past the point of no return I gave him the smallest of beeps to let him know it was a pretty selfish thing he was doing to which I received the bird and a **** off from what I could only describe as a bogan of the highest magnitude.

The point I’m trying to make is 95% of people are decent and appreciative of the service you are providing to the community and let you know it but there will always be that one dickhead.

so please keep serving the CFC community and don’t give up delivering to those that need your service in these dark times simple because of a brainless bogan.

Can you stick around please? I like you...
I will - Blue for Life - but I do come with baggage - lost all my top teeth last week in an emergency surgery (true story) and the replacements could cost ... wait for it ... 30,000!! Do you like me that much? (And hey, you others, f... off with the Collingwood and Moe jokes - I've had them all week).

Lyon was high risk, high reward in my view. If Sayers hadn’t been tempered by other forces, he’d be our coach.
I just couldn’t see any downside to Lyon in terms of improving on field performance. Whether he could reach the heights we aspire to is another matter. Likely we will never know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can’t say I am all that excited about our current predicament. Losing hope that we will find a good senior coach and good sssistants. I can’t wait for the next 2-3 weeks to pass.

Don’t lose hope! Everything will be all good!
trust the process!
A good senior coach would be great. But If we have quality assistant coaches everything will be fine. And thankfully there are quite a few quality options!

Just saw Cerra on ten news dosent really give me the impression he cares where he goes obviously family the main reason to come back not that he should be saying I really want to play for team X.AFL has long been just a business for everyone to get the best deal possible for themselves.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we go for a first-time senior coach, it needs to be someone who sets standards and puts the foot down immediately, otherwise he runs the risk of becoming mates with and ultimately being undermined by an entitled playing group.
This! It’s not about getting a new head coach vs. a proven coach. If the panel does their job properly it’s about getting the right coach…

Just saw Cerra on ten news dosent really give me the impression he cares where he goes obviously family the main reason to come back not that he should be saying I really want to play for team X.AFL has long been just a business for everyone to get the best deal possible for themselves.

To me Cerra doesn't seem to have the drive and competitiveness I'd be hoping for in a big recruit.

I'm sure I'm being too picky, but I want a Bailey Smith type who oozes aggression and competitiveness. I also read a stat showing Cerra doesn't kick goals.

Don’t lose hope! Everything will be all good!
trust the process!
A good senior coach would be great. But If we have quality assistant coaches everything will be fine. And thankfully there are quite a few quality options!
I really hope so. We’ve waited 5 or so years into this rebuild and gone thru 2 coaches. Problem is if we get one of the good senior assistants as senior coach will they then attract good senior assistants under them? Not sure there are enough options out there at this stage that will want to move from their current assistant roles.

Imo we need at least one experienced person in the role of senior coach or as head of footy. Hopefully diesel will be good as back up. Looks like he will be a bit hands on.

AFL has long been just a business for everyone to get the best deal possible for themselves.

Tbf what sport in the world is different?

Basketball, American football and footballers constantly move for more money. Footballers even move into different countries for it.

How do you view Ross as a high risk if I may ask. There's only one person available currently that's less risk than him if you ask me...
Forty3 suggested that Lyon wasn't prepared to answer questions about his less than glorious exit's from both Freo and Saints in his presentation to Carlton. Maybe it was a culture issue, not a coaching issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back