Bluey asks for Christmas...

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 5, 2010
QLD
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Spurs
Saw a thread similar elsewhere, if the club could have poached one more player for Christmas who would you have picked (just a hypothetical so ignore practicalities like salary cap)? My vote goes for an elite utility or a power forward, also has to be ready made.

Utility would have be Brendon Goddard (hon mention to Hodge). Would go and plug holes where ever needed and dominate whether he be in defense, mid or forward. Also he's still only 25, heaps of footy left!

However also considering we have some experience down back and the mid has good age/class already, a power KPF could be more appropriate for our list. So my short list would probably be Jono Brown, Nick Riewoldt, and Pavlich. I'd probably take Brown if it was not for his potentially failing body. The type of footy he seems to play seems to be taking the toll, but if somehow his body was guaranteed to hold up, I'd seriously consider it. Nick Riewoldt for me a bit soft... but obviously a champion player. Body seems ok, and still has footy left in him. With Pav I guess the upside is not only a beast CHF but can play a mid role. So in the end it is hard to split all 3 captains, with Nick probably being the best choice for CHF to take the heat off the boys while they develop, and Pav and Brown not far behind.

All things considered I would still stick with Goddard I suppose.

Just reading Peter Knight's recollections of the early days of the Bears. Bluey has done very well already compared to what Knightsy received.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/106742/default.aspx

The concessions handed to the Bears were paltry in comparison. They were allowed to pre-list only six young players, and those signings, all of whom were from South Australia, included ruckman Mark Mickan and current-day Fox Sports commentator Matthew Campbell.

And while each of the 12 existing VFL clubs were supposed to give up at least one player to their new rival, the process soon degenerated into a farce.

Carlton offered up a player who had already retired, another who had played two reserves games and one who was training to be a doctor in London.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bluey asks for Christmas...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back