Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
The results of the independent review have come in and the big findings were:

We need a coach with similar attributes to Chris Scott. [Brad, tick]
We need to nab a CEO that runs the club like Hawthorn was in their Premiership era, and can exorcise the demons within the club. [Thorburn, tick]

Because it’s the AFL and optics are everything.

I look forward to him justifying his churches views on homosexuality when pride week roles around next season…not sure all our AFLW girls will love it either.

It’s in the Hun now - this will become a thing.

The AFLW and his church is definitely a problem.

I think there’ll be many of the players who have an issue with him, and probably with justification.

You'd think having spent his entire period in high profile positions during the internet era, someone, somewhere would have caught him saying something about it, if he was ever going to.

I googled everything I could think of and I can't find a single comment from Thorburn about LGBTQI, abortion or any of that stuff. The closest you'll find if you dig really really deep is this live blog from a leadership summit during the SSM plebiscite:

And specifically his comments quoted here, in a separate blog post:

Respectful disagreement. Decisive result. What a horrible thing to say.

Meanwhile, NAB have an entire social impact program for Pride which has been ongoing since before Thorburn started and continued throughout his entire tenure and beyond. In that time they've renewed their partnership with the Midsumma Festival, and launched several more Pride initiatives within the organisation, as well as winning Workplace Equality Awards and that sort of stuff.

NAB also continue to be major partners of the AFLW, which also started during his period as CEO.

I have no idea why this is a thing, but beyond one dickhead on Twitter and a clickbait article in the Herald Sun derived from the same, there's literally nothing to indicate the man is that unprofessional that his beliefs, whatever they may be, will suddenly be shoved in your face or become defining features of the Essendon Football Club during his tenure as CEO.
You are looking at this through the lens of how the world should be, not how it is.

The problem is that he’s more than just a rank and file church goer, he’s there chairman - as chairman it will be very difficult for him to disown there more controversial stances. So much low hanging fruit for the presss here, they won’t pass it up.

The more I hear about this guy the more I don't want him anywhere near the club. Whether he is a good or bad CEO, I just fundamentally do not like him.

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 21.59.57.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 22.08.45.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 22.03.21.png

Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 22.00.16.png

Advisor and investor at ATMOS Financial: ATMOS | About Us - Ethical Banking and Savings Accounts for a Fee-Free and Climate-positive future
Senior Advisor at Boston Consulting Group: About BCG

These aren't exactly conservative organisations.

View attachment 1525598

View attachment 1525613

View attachment 1525604

View attachment 1525599

Advisor and investor at ATMOS Financial: ATMOS | About Us - Ethical Banking and Savings Accounts for a Fee-Free and Climate-positive future
Senior Advisor at Boston Consulting Group: About BCG

These aren't exactly conservative organisations.
you don't need to be a conservative to be a crazy Christian.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The knives are out already, this will be fun.

It’s simply not possible he was the best candidate by enough distance to justify having to deal with this 1000% inevitable shitstorm. Why make it more difficult for yourself if you don’t have to?

Like I said, keep the position description handy, we’re gonna need it.

The only positive out of this unnecessary self scat ... he'll never insist a player tells their partner to have an abortion. These sorts of crazy Christians are always faithful husbands until you find them snorting lines of coke off a large brown penis.

Is the President building a wall around the footy department? Will part of Thorburn’s role be to keep the influential club benefactors away from Mahoney and the coaches? The coteries get access to players through sponsorships and arrangements… there’s no stopping that, but there is something to be said for allowing Scott and co to focus on footy.

I eagerly await the “sit down with new CEO” video the media guys will be madly pulling together.
Here you go!

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Back