Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I would agree whole-heartedly if he wasn't the leader of the church. You can't lead an organisation and not share their values. It's what we demand of the EFC CEO, and would assume moreso that the head of the church is the same.

He can't share both sets of values, they're at odds with each other. (it would certainly fulfill religious hypocrisy values, but not of the EFC).

He may have agreed to such values, that he holds his personal self to, openly in a forum that was appropriately built for it (a church). He didn't do it in the forum of others.

The idea that his own personal belief can somehow lead to him sowing it onto others in another capacity is the same trope that anti-gay and anti-trans advocates use when they say that being inclusive of them means influencing others to be like them.

It is as ridiculous in the former just as it is in the latter.

Last edited:

Essendon could’ve appointed Mary Poppins and they would’ve copped it for her colour choice of umbrella, ella, ella.
mary poppins GIF

id like to echo somebody elses post from about 3 days ago

"why cant we be normal?"
the appointment isn't a bad one from a CEO perspective.
But the fact we're a publicity driven organisation, the optics ignored here are pretty diabolical.

No one will care for the debate/conversation he wants to drive on this. The clicks are driven through the headlines, and they are writing themselves.

Without stepping into the whole religion/freedom of speech/professional v. private life stuff, we could have done this better
sounds familiar yeah?

Conveniently leaving out the part where he was moreorless sacked by the board in disgrace.
2. A bank isn’t a football club.
Sacked for doing what banks did. Use dodgy policies to make money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He may have agreed to such values, that he holds his personal self to, openly in a forum that was appropriately built for it (a church). He didn't do it in the forum of others.

The idea that his own personal belief can somehow lead to him sowing it onto others in another capacity is the same trope that anti-gay and anti-trans advocates use when they say that being inclusive of them means influencing others to be like them.

It is as ridiculous in the former just as it is in the latter.
The difference is not belief one way or the other. It's belief in inclusivity or exclusivity.

Being inclusive doesn't mean to influence others.

You can't be head of an organisation which says it values inclusion and also head of another organisation which values exclusion.

The proposition that he can both be an inclusive and exclusive leader doesn't stand up. In one of those roles, he'll clearly be lying (by omission or just outright).

I would agree whole-heartedly if he wasn't the leader of the church. You can't lead an organisation and not share their values. It's what we demand of the EFC CEO, and would assume moreso that the head of the church is the same.

He can't share both sets of values, they're at odds with each other. (it would certainly fulfill religious hypocrisy values, but not of the EFC).

If he doesn't share the values of an inclusive football club, then he shouldn't be the head of it.
You actually can.
Did the NAB have an anti policy against any group of people ?

My old man is a Pastor in his church yet he walked my sister down the ail when she got married to her girlfriend and has no issues with my niece having a girlfriend.
His church still has the same beliefs as the others .

Sacked for doing what banks did. Use dodgy policies to make money.
I mean, we still make revenue from pokies, so I'm not going to question the morality of banking. (needless to say we should divest).

I wonder how the church is thinking that their boss is also the head of a gambling/sporting/LGBTQI friendly organisation? If we have fewer Sunday games going forward, I'm going to start asking questions (not really)!

You actually can.
Did the NAB have an anti policy against any group of people ?

My old man is a Pastor in his church yet he walked my sister down the ail when she got married to her girlfriend and has no issues with my niece having a girlfriend.
His church still has the same beliefs as the others .
Pastor is a hypocrite = truth.

Would I appoint such a hypocrite to CEO of the EFC? No.

A football club has morals reflective of its membership, unlike churches which have no morals (or whichever morals they're choosing at that point in time).

If the church-goers don't mind their pastor being a hypocrite, that's fine by me. But as an EFC member, I have a problem with the CEO being a hypocrite or a bigot.

I am by no means Christian or religious by any means, but I feel as though it's become far too normal for people to have a swing at somebody for their religious beliefs. When and why did it become virtuous to do so?

Just times changing. Some religions (not all) take a particularly dim view of sexual minorities, such as homosexuality. In years past you never heard about it because nobody complained - homosexuality was in the shadows, people didn’t acknowledge, many lived it in secret, etc.

That’s less the case now. People are more accepting and gay people have been told to be themselves. So when a church says it’s against their lifestyle, they’re now more likely to say “**** you” rather than looking at the ground and keeping quiet. As are their supporters.

Some churches are more accepting, but I do think we should be permanently on guard and wary of those religions that aren’t. Around the world people are still being executed for being gay. It’s bigotry and we shouldn’t accept those that preach it.

It is worth listening to his interview this morning, he noted that the comments held as church views were posted in 2013 or earlier, and he has never heard anyone espousing those views in his time.

I am pro-choice, open to sex of any kind, and an atheist. But I agree with Andrew, people should be judged by their actions, particularly the way they treat people, not their belief ‘system’ - we are all different

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Back