Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

Barry Young, who played 76 games for AFL club Essendon, seeks to join the Bombers’ board​

Former player Barry Young will be among the challengers for two board positions at Essendon. DANIEL CHERNY reports on what‘s next in a year of enormous upheaval at the AFL club.

Essendon could have another former player on its board with 1990s utility Barry Young nominating for the Bombers’ upcoming election.
Young, who played 76 matches for the Dons between 1994 and 1999 - in between stints at Richmond and Hawthorn - is seeking to join the board ahead of the club’s annual general meeting on December 15. The 52-year-old works as the owner of a bedding manufacturer.

Young will be among the challengers for two board positions. Football director Andrew Welsh, who was appointed in September, and The Good Guys chairman Andrew Muir are the incumbents who must stand again to keep their respective spots.

Young is looking to extend legacy at the Bombers off-field. Picture: News Corp Australia

Young is looking to extend legacy at the Bombers off-field. Picture: News Corp Australia

In what has been a year of enormous upheaval at the Bombers, Young could join Welsh, Dean Rioli and Kevin Sheedy as former players/coaches on the Essendon board.

Barry Young, who played 76 games for AFL club Essendon, seeks to join the Bombers’ board​

Former player Barry Young will be among the challengers for two board positions at Essendon. DANIEL CHERNY reports on what‘s next in a year of enormous upheaval at the AFL club.

Essendon could have another former player on its board with 1990s utility Barry Young nominating for the Bombers’ upcoming election.
Young, who played 76 matches for the Dons between 1994 and 1999 - in between stints at Richmond and Hawthorn - is seeking to join the board ahead of the club’s annual general meeting on December 15. The 52-year-old works as the owner of a bedding manufacturer.

Young will be among the challengers for two board positions. Football director Andrew Welsh, who was appointed in September, and The Good Guys chairman Andrew Muir are the incumbents who must stand again to keep their respective spots.

In what has been a year of enormous upheaval at the Bombers, Young could join Welsh, Dean Rioli and Kevin Sheedy as former players/coaches on the Essendon board.
94-99, timed his playing career well…

Yep, silly boy Youngy, went to hawfforn for more money and missed what was close to the best season in football history.
Don't think he would've been best 26 in 2000. He was used to fill a gap, cover injuries or be an enforcer against certain teams. He was certainly handy as the team were becoming hard nuts between 96 to 99.

I think he saw the writing on the wall and left. Shrewd decision.

Don't think he would've been best 26 in 2000. He was used to fill a gap, cover injuries or be an enforcer against certain teams. He was certainly handy as the team were becoming hard nuts between 96 to 99.

I think he saw the writing on the wall and left. Shrewd decision.
He was wanted, he wanted more money. He’s on the record as saying it was the biggest mistake of his life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't the story that Young left after a fight with Calthorpe?
Calthorpe did a Carey on him. Not sure what it has to do with Young joining the board. Was a well respected player.

Two more board appointments, being David Wills and Tim Roberts.

"Roberts will fill the vacant position left by Sean Wellman and stand for election in the 2023 AGM, while David Wills will fill the vacant position left by Peter Allen as an appointed position."

Roberts has a business background and "brings loyalty to our board", while Wills is from PwC and takes over the Finance Director role.
MicrosoftTeams-image-121-.png.jpeg
David Wills (left) and Tim Roberts (right). (Photo: Essendon FC)
President comments on both appointments:
The Essendon Football Club is pleased to announce the appointment of Tim Roberts and David Wills to the board of directors.

Essendon President David Barham welcomed the appointment of Roberts and Wills.

“We are thrilled to welcome Tim and David to the board. They will bring tremendous insight and experience from their industries that will be extremely beneficial for the club,” Barham said.

“They both have an excellent understanding of what it takes to run a successful organisation having led winning teams for the majority of their corporate life.

“Tim brings a wealth of business experience and loyalty to our board. He has been a lifelong supporter and is well known to our supporter groups. He has been instrumental in helping the club build the NEC Hangar and he will have a significant role in our future, in particular what we do at Windy Hill.

“David brings great integrity and the highest level of financial and professional experience to our board. He has an extensive business background and will be a great asset to our organisation for many years to come. Everyone is delighted that he is joining our board and we look forward to working with him as the club resets our strategy and purpose.”

About David Wills:
David Wills brings more than 35 years of professional experience and will undertake the role of Finance Director and Chair of the Audit, Risk and Integrity Committee.

Wills' most recent role was Managing Partner of PwC’s worldwide private and family business sectors, a global role he held until his retirement from PwC at the end of 2019.

A lifelong Essendon fan, Wills’ professional experience focused on client service excellence and thought leadership through strategy, transformation and execution.

During his career at PwC, Wills was appointed to the Australian Executive Board at which time he established and led PwC’s Private Clients business as a stand-alone practice to deliver services in the areas of audit, tax, consulting, deals, wealth management and family consulting.

Wills said he was thrilled to join the club he grew up supporting.

“My journey with the Bombers started when I was a kid. I had a Bomber guernsey the day I was born. I grew up in the country and came down to see the Bombers on the train before moving to Melbourne to live near Windy Hill,” Wills said.

“I’ve been in professional services for 35 years across several roles working with great people and high-performing teams. I plan to leverage those skills and experiences on the Essendon Board.

“The governance that the board can bring to a footy club is all about protecting, enhancing and polishing the brand which is the Essendon Football Club. It is a critical part of what we want to do as a Board as we move forward.

“I recognise there is a cycle in the economy, as there is a cycle in a footy club. Maintaining that positivity and realising there are better times ahead when you’re feeling low is really important.

“I will have a keen eye on providing the resources that the executives, coaches and players need to be as successful as they can be. I truly hope our members will share in a renewed sense of optimism."

About Tim Roberts:
Tim Roberts joins the Bombers with extensive involvement in the property and construction industry in his role as Executive Director of WT Partnership.

During his three decades at WT Partnership, Roberts has been responsible for the company’s expansion into America, Canada, the Middle East and India while also overseeing large scale infrastructure projects around the globe.

Locally, Roberts was involved in various recreational projects, including the development of Caulfield Racecourse, Marvel Stadium, Melbourne Metro Tunnel and the home of the Bombers, the NEC Hangar.

Roberts also has a strong connection to the club through his memberships of various supporter groups.

Roberts said he looked forward to helping the club achieve success.

“A real opportunity to drive the standards and outcomes that came out of the review and the high-performance nature of our footy club, right through from the board room to the locker room,” Roberts said.

“The board has been through a challenging time but having gone through a process with Andrew Muir and meeting the board members, there’s a clear alignment on the strategy moving forward.”

“It will be an absolute honour and privilege to work with the group to drive those standards right through the organisation.

“I love the red and black. It brings a whole group of people together with a common purpose to achieve success. Having seen what success looks like, I want to see more of it, and I want our members and supporters to see more of it,” Roberts said.

Two more board appointments, being David Wills and Tim Roberts.

"Roberts will fill the vacant position left by Sean Wellman and stand for election in the 2023 AGM, while David Wills will fill the vacant position left by Peter Allen as an appointed position."

Roberts has a business background and "brings loyalty to our board", while Wills is from PwC and takes over the Finance Director role.

President comments on both appointments:

About David Wills:

About Tim Roberts:

I'm confused; is Roberts supposed to be an inert yes man or the voice of the coteries?

Another two middle aged white guys fulfilling a passion project. lmfao. Are these dudes friends of Brashers? Full of good intentions no doubt.

Both worth shed loads of money. Success in business and industry and what not. Bloody bravo. Lets all get down on our knees and applaud their superiority.

'loyalty to the board' someone ban me now pls.

nothing has changed.

Another two middle aged white guys fulfilling a passion project. lmfao. Are these dudes friends of Brashers? Full of good intentions no doubt.

Both worth shed loads of money. Success in business and industry and what not. Bloody bravo. Lets all get down on our knees and applaud their superiority.

nothing has changed.

Let’s be real here, they probably have two directives:

1. Handle the coteries
2. Stay out of the way

This is what you think they are there for???

I reckon that’s what Barham has brought them in for, yeah. They’ll be people who agree with his vision and don’t cause issues. I’m not saying that’s what they should be there for, but it’s a guess as to the thinking.

nothing has changed.

Nice ageist, racist and sexist comment when the Essendon board has 1 indigenous person and 3 women on it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Back