Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I think one of our biggest issues is we have not had a strong front man. They all seem to bungle parts of the message or seem to lack conviction.

Members should start getting signatures outside of games similar to Collingwood. Outside independent review and total restructuring of the club from an administrative point.

Maybe next year we should all specifically request our membership fees be directed to the AFLW / VFLW program instead of the men's.
Just buy an AFLW membership and let the AFL one go. They are apparently separate products (which is funny, because the club constitution says you can only have one club membership!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interview with Tim Gabbett, who consults on stuff like performance reviews in sport and was part of the review at Adelaide after Collective Minds thing;
“From the club’s point of view, you need some pretty clear terms of reference,” Gabbett says. “Because what can happen is you can pick at a scab and it can open right up. Teams and clubs need to be pretty clear about what they want reviewed.

“I think the other thing clubs need to do is make sure they find the right people to evaluate the right areas. … I think a trick is, you make sure you get people who understand the areas that they’re evaluating so that someone doesn’t end up evaluating things they don’t understand.”

“If you’ve been around it long enough, you can see it, and smell it as soon as you walk into the place,” he says. “I think part of it is knowing that environment, knowing what to look for and just knowing what winning looks like, and what non-winning looks like.”

“I think it depends on the organisation. If you have fallen a long way, then it probably does help to have an independent set of eyes. As long as they’re there for the right reason. You don’t want that independent set of eyes being someone who wants to move someone on so they can move into a high level job. That can happen sometimes. People can have perverse motivations for doing things. You’ve got to be thinking club-first.”

“If you get to a point where it’s a full-scale review, then probably there have been some things that have been missed, or some standards that have dropped over time that haven’t been checked.”

“It’s never a nice feeling when you identify a problem, or you’ve confirmed a problem that perhaps the executives have suspected. Because you know that inevitably someone will probably lose their job on the back of it. You’ve got to think about what is the best thing for the club,” Gabbett says.

“It’s understandable if people feel a little defensive around it. All you can do is emphasise to the people in front of you that you’re there for the right reasons. That’s not necessarily a problem if they are defensive, that just shows that they do care. It’s just the way that they are displaying that emotion is not particularly friendly.

“It can be turned around quickly. I’d actually like more clubs to do reviews when they’re winning because winning can hide a few things as well. It’s actually a healthy practice.”
Apparently Pavlich was also part of that review of Adelaide alongside Gabbett that got rid of the footy manager, and went on to be part of the review of Carlton when Teague lost his job.

I guess he’s suitably knowledgeable and capable to review a footy department without being “the enemy” (I feel like fans would riot if e.g. Sam Mitchell was asked to review Essendon). I don’t think Freo has any real rivalries other than across town?

Also this tidbit:
The Dons are intimating the review this time around will be more akin to St Kilda’s this time 12 months ago. Saints high-performance chief Matt Hornsby departed the club at the end of 2021 after a year in which St Kilda struggled with player availability. Perhaps that is an ominous sign for Essendon counterpart Sean Murphy.
One of the few whose job hasn’t been preemptively announced as safe.

Also don’t think it made it to this thread yet but the 2MP press conference or interview or whatever from yesterday he mentioned that the review has nothing to do with the playing group so I guess they haven’t been asked for their opinions this time round.

I think the point about winning papering over cracks is the most salient when it comes to our situation.

There are things we need to look at, and these things also needed looking at last year despite us playing finals.

Didn’t know where else to put this….

Sheedy being our first “immortal” doesn’t feel right. How can that not be Dick Reynolds?
Haha I've been waiting all morning for someone to post it and no one did so I literally just made a thread and then open this thread and...

Anyway, here:

As much as he might be right, he has no proof. The author is someone I've never heard of, who has no particular insight, didn't interview anybody, and might as well have gotten his information from BigFooty as anywhere else.

If you google his name you also get a list of hit pieces with clickbait titles loaded with emotive language that evidently get a run in local and interstate papers on a tight budget (so like a garden variety Kane Cornes, but with a pencil instead of a microphone).

As much as he might be right, he has no proof. The author is someone I've never heard of, who has no particular insight, didn't interview anybody, and might as well have gotten his information from BigFooty as anywhere else.

If you google his name you also get a list of hit pieces with clickbait titles loaded with emotive language that evidently get a run in local and interstate papers on a tight budget (so like a garden variety Kane Cornes, but with a pencil instead of a microphone).
He even mentioned the ever-popular calling card of bigfooty posters "Bigger-Bodied Midfielder"

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Mgmt. Board of Directors as led by President Dave Barham

Remove this Banner Ad

Back