Bomber Thompson

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 28, 2007
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Liverpool FC,
I just have to start a thread and share the fact that i was lucky enough to talk to Bomber today on the mobile for 15mins. Im still buzzing about it. A good school dad who is a friend is helping him out with the property developments. So he rings me today and says mate got someone who wants to speak to you.
Next thing the voice says gday its bomber thompson. Ive gone who is it?. He says Bomber Thompson. I then went on to have a great conversation about the young kids losing Mummy to Sydney and just how the club is tracking.
I am one very lucky man.

Good on ya! Nice to hear a supporter just enjoying having a convo with someone (head coach, not too shabby) about Geelong without the need to spin BS about it!

I for one am very envious!

Gotta love Bomber and the Cats!

I didnt want to ask about Gaz cause i though he might be sick of the question. When i asked him if he was shattered about losing Mummy he said yeah, he palyed 21 games and then he is gone. he said there are alot of blokes at geelong on 400k so we couldnt match it. What i did say about gaz after speaking about losing Mummy was lets hope we dont loose Gary. He said yeah and didnt say to much.
He said Mitch brown could be a star, i said will he be asked to pack on the beef and he said i dont think he will ever do that.Said that they are very happy with Motlop and Duncan as young kids.

I didnt want to ask about Gaz cause i though he might be sick of the question. When i asked him if he was shattered about losing Mummy he said yeah, he palyed 21 games and then he is gone. he said there are alot of blokes at geelong on 400k so we couldnt match it. What i did say about gaz after speaking about losing Mummy was lets hope we dont loose Gary. He said yeah and didnt say to much.
He said Mitch brown could be a star, i said will he be asked to pack on the beef and he said i dont think he will ever do that.Said that they are very happy with Motlop and Duncan as young kids.

Thanks!:thumbsu:

If I ever got that chance, I'd bring up the press conference in 2005, when Thompson defended Ottens.

"For some silly reason, you people want to assassinate him. It's just rubbish. You people, all of you, ALL OF YOU, leave him alone!".

That's all you have from a fifteen minute conversation?

No i actually spoke to him about how i had the 2007 premiership cup at my house for the night. He said you didnt do any dirty stuff to it did you and said apart from kicking my wife out of bed and telling her to sleep on the couch not really. He was pissing him self laughing at the thought.

He just said that we have to keep finding more players and turning them over. I was just blown away it was like i was talking with my mates.

Its a pity you always think of things you would have liked to ask after it all happens.

Lucky you. Mark seems a genuine guy, who tells it like it is, so would have been a good 15 minutes.
I was lucky enough to have a 5 minute chat to Bomber over the phone in 2007 after the GF win. He was in a bar with Mark Harvey ( Draft Week ) and my up front nephew asked if he'd mind chatting to his Geelong tragic uncle in Perth.
He was fantastic and even spoke to my 12 year old son for a few minutes
He asked my son who his favorite player was " Gaz was his answer.
Bomber then said to my son " Yeah , we all love Gaz...........but then again I just love all of them ! "
Class act , I didn't wash my ear for a month !!

I had two conversations with him a number of years ago. I think 2000 was the last time. He Ben Graham, Gary Hocking and Brenton Sanderson were at a supporter's club event and Thompson was saying how he thought he had the makings of an awesome team in his most recent draftees and expected the club to taste some success within 5 years. After five years was up I was almost willing to pass this off as usual coaches bluff, but who would've thought hey?

I remember thinking how much of a unit Ben Graham was in real life and laughed at Brenton Sanderson because whilst Hocking, Graham and all the no name players were mingling with supporters, Sanderson was sitting in the corner of the bar flexing his biceps for a few local slappers. Funny stuff. I was just a kid at the time, but couldn't stop laughing.

'He said Mitch brown could be a star, i said will he be asked to pack on the beef and he said i dont think he will ever do that. Said that they are very happy with Motlop and Duncan as young kids.'

With all this Ablett GC crap dominating the thinking of many Cats fans - this is what we need to hear - some good, positive news.

I think if Bomber says these players are a chance to make it - they are genuinely chance to make it IMO. So I will watch with interest their development over the next 2 seasons.

Imagine Wells doing it again for us - and 2 of these guys end up being very good footballers. The Geelong side would again have enough rejuvenation to keep the Premiership window open even longer than many of us had hoped.

I have heard unconfirmed reports before that Bomber thinks Mitch could be a gun - but this ads a bit of meat to those reports. Please tell me Mitch is going to come good with his injury - please.

Come on you medico posters - give us the good oil, some positive injury news..

If I ever got that chance, I'd bring up the press conference in 2005, when Thompson defended Ottens.

"For some silly reason, you people want to assassinate him. It's just rubbish. You people, all of you, ALL OF YOU, leave him alone!".

Injuries aside. I think that Ottens has repaid the loyalty of Thompson. Would Geelong have even made the 2007 Grand Final if it Ottens was missing from that Prelim final? He also defended Cameron Ling and Mooney when they came under severe criticism in '06.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'He said Mitch brown could be a star, i said will he be asked to pack on the beef and he said i dont think he will ever do that. Said that they are very happy with Motlop and Duncan as young kids.'

With all this Ablett GC crap dominating the thinking of many Cats fans - this is what we need to hear - some good, positive news.

I think if Bomber says these players are a chance to make it - they are genuinely chance to make it IMO. So I will watch with interest their development over the next 2 seasons.

Imagine Wells doing it again for us - and 2 of these guys end up being very good footballers. The Geelong side would again have enough rejuvenation to keep the Premiership window open even longer than many of us had hoped.

I have heard unconfirmed reports before that Bomber thinks Mitch could be a gun - but this ads a bit of meat to those reports. Please tell me Mitch is going to come good with his injury - please.

Come on you medico posters - give us the good oil, some positive injury news..

Im sure i read somewere today that Mitch Brown might be ready for 1st game of the 2s. Lets hope so.

Injuries aside. I think that Ottens has repaid the loyalty of Thompson. Would Geelong have even made the 2007 Grand Final if it Ottens was missing from that Prelim final? He also defended Cameron Ling and Mooney when they came under severe criticism in '06.

Oh definitely, he's paid back with interest.

I meet bomber on a Monday night in Geelong at the 7-11 in town , He was walking out as I walked in , Was in Jan of last year . We had a chat at the front about the GF loss and our chances in 09 . It wasnt by no means a in depth report to the bloke but he seems like a good bloke

I met Bomber back in the early years when he filled up my car with petrol when the club had a special deal with Shell of a free tank when you join up (the club were struggling a bit back then) and he was really pleasant and we had a quick chat and Ben Graham was across at the next bowser and Bomber was joking around with him so I thought he was a very natural and easy going guy.

Thankfully the club doesn't need to resort to those marketing gimmicks these days thanks to Costa and Cook's hard work.

I met Bomber back in the early years when he filled up my car with petrol when the club had a special deal with Shell of a free tank when you join up (the club were struggling a bit back then) and he was really pleasant and we had a quick chat and Ben Graham was across at the next bowser and Bomber was joking around with him so I thought he was a very natural and easy going guy.

Thankfully the club doesn't need to resort to those marketing gimmicks these days thanks to Costa and Cook's hard work.

OMG you forget how bad things were back then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bomber Thompson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back