Bon calls for players to be protected on holding the ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott calls for player protection on holding-the-ball June 7, 2010
NORTH Melbourne coach Brad Scott wants better protection for players trapped over the ball.
North's Scott Thompson was penalised for holding the ball at a crucial stage in Saturday night's game against the Brisbane Lions, but had little chance of getting the ball out of a huge pack of players.

Full story at http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...otection-on-holdingtheball-20100606-xn6m.html

And so say all of us!

Hope the message has been delievered with far less subtlety behind the scenes. The umpiring on Saturday night can only be judged in one of two ways. The umpires were cheating or they were incompetent. I trust it was the latter.

And so say all of us!

Hope the message has been delievered with far less subtlety behind the scenes. The umpiring on Saturday night can only be judged in one of two ways. The umpires were cheating or they were incompetent. I trust it was the latter.

You should visit the Brisbane board. They actually think they were hard done by. No excuses for handing over the second half, virtually, but what concerns me is they actually seem serious. :eek:

The last two holding the ball decisions against us were absolutely shocking.

Sure Scotty Thompson dived on the ball, Archer-style and once he did that he had an obligation to get it out -not to try to get it out, but to get it out.

However, he doesn't deserve having opponents sitting on his back and grabbing him around the neck and head. Even if his name is Thompson!

And so say all of us!

^^^

Or?

Sure Scotty Thompson dived on the ball, Archer-style and once he did that he had an obligation to get it out -not to try to get it out, but to get it out.

However, he doesn't deserve having opponents sitting on his back and grabbing him around the neck and head. Even if his name is Thompson!
I thought it was interesting that 2 frees were paid for off-the-ball niggling. One against Scott McMahon (for bumping poor little Micth Clark), and one against one of our defenders in the 3rd 1/4.

Pretty obvious that Gieschen had told his geese to be vigilant on North players niggling off the ball..............not players from both teams, just North players.

JZ tackled from behind as soon as he gets the ball and driven face first into the turf. Holding the ball.

Only a few minutes later Brown takes on a couple (I may have embellished this in my memory somewhat) then tackled almost exactly the same way and awarded - rightly - in the back.

I can't fathom a difference between either of these, or also compared to the tackle Lower copped which resulted in the free against Scotty Thompson.

As for Thompson's free itself, I had the job of cleaning my own spray off the screen when that one was paid. (Sorry guys - we we all home coughing our heads off)

The hardest part wasn't the spray, it was cleaning off the fingerprints during the replays as I kept jabbing the screen "What about that one??? .... AND that???!!! ..... AND THAT ONE???!!!"

The original lead singer of AC/DC was Bon Scott.

Hence the nickname....

On a side note, given conversations regarding the recent concert tour, my brother and I are both of the same opinion that AkkaDakka aren't quite as good since the 'new guy' has been lead singer.

A headbanger friend of mine thinks it hilarious that we still refer to him as the 'new guy'. It's only been what...... 30 years??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheating and incompetent eh? Or, are you suggesting they were incompetent with their cheating?

Not suggesting anything, except the two are not mutually exclusive.

Someone on Saturday night, however, did suggest that Umpire Overland stuffed it up by incorrectly paying that throwing free against Black. Therefore, even if the umpires were trying to please the AFL by influencing the result, one of them got that horribly wrong by snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Me? I love the umpires - there should be more of them and less players.;) That way one of them might manage to see what's actually happening to the players from both teams.

What about the worst decision of the night. Swallow marks the ball 40 out, driven face first into the ground after he marks - no fifty! WTF? No 50/50 here. Had to be 50 metres. Not paid.

Someone on Saturday night, however, did suggest that Umpire Overland stuffed it up by incorrectly paying that throwing free against Black.

Yeah nah, that was a throw. Just because his left fist moved forward doesn't make it a handball consider he used his right hand to propel it across his body making it impossible for it to be handballed with his left. It was a throw alright.

What about the worst decision of the night. Swallow marks the ball 40 out, driven face first into the ground after he marks - no fifty! WTF? No 50/50 here. Had to be 50 metres. Not paid.

Agree, lost my shit here, fortunately he kicked the goal

Yeah nah, that was a throw. Just because his left fist moved forward doesn't make it a handball consider he used his right hand to propel it across his body making it impossible for it to be handballed with his left. It was a throw alright.

I thought the same thing - an "inside-out" handball that rocketed 15m directly to a teamate.......

Then the gall to keep going on about it.

Black should have the nickname "British Paints"...... Keep on Keeping on....

I think the Lions had a licence to drill us into the turf after a mark all night. None of them was paid a 50.

JZ tackled from behind as soon as he gets the ball and driven face first into the turf. Holding the ball.

Only a few minutes later Brown takes on a couple (I may have embellished this in my memory somewhat) then tackled almost exactly the same way and awarded - rightly - in the back.

I can't fathom a difference between either of these, or also compared to the tackle Lower copped which resulted in the free against Scotty Thompson.

As for Thompson's free itself, I had the job of cleaning my own spray off the screen when that one was paid. (Sorry guys - we we all home coughing our heads off)

The hardest part wasn't the spray, it was cleaning off the fingerprints during the replays as I kept jabbing the screen "What about that one??? .... AND that???!!! ..... AND THAT ONE???!!!"

:thumbsu:

If JZ's wasn't in the back then how on earth was Pratty's tackle on Brown in the back when he turned him on impact in the centre square?

Thompson's holding the ball came seconds after Staker was tackled & clearly disposed of the ball incorrectly, throwing it with one hand. Prior-opportunity doesn't count when you throw it, accidentally or not.

As for all the hoo-har about Simon Black's handpass / throw late in the game, something reasonably important has been lost in all the dribble being written / spoken by these f'n journos...... THE BALL FELL INTO NORTH HANDS ANYWAY - WE HAD POSSESSION!!!!! :(

:thumbsu:

If JZ's wasn't in the back then how on earth was Pratty's tackle on Brown in the back when he turned him on impact in the centre square?

Thompson's holding the ball came seconds after Staker was tackled & clearly disposed of the ball incorrectly, throwing it with one hand. Prior-opportunity doesn't count when you throw it, accidentally or not.

As for all the hoo-har about Simon Black's handpass / throw late in the game, something reasonably important has been lost in all the dribble being written / spoken by these f'n journos...... THE BALL FELL INTO NORTH HANDS ANYWAY - WE HAD POSSESSION!!!!! :(
Yat according to Walls last night, that free against Black 'may well have cost Brisbane the game'. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:thumbsu:Prior-opportunity doesn't count when you throw it, accidentally or not.

This is what makes me lose my shit.

Umpires saying "it came out in the tackle" or "play on, he tried"

I dont give a flying f*** if "he tried" if he didnt kick or handball the ball whilst being tackled its a free kick.

I hate how they give themselves an out if they get it wrong.

I went apeshit after spud was pinged for holding the ball.

On the topic of nicknames (and ignoring the thread topic totally), I think that after last week, Levi G should be nicknamed the "G-Bomb".

Remove this Banner Ad

Bon calls for players to be protected on holding the ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back