Boomers vs the rest

Remove this Banner Ad

That we are better off than people at the beginning of the twentieth century is uncontroversial, I think. The controversy is around whether Australians born after (say) 1985 are worse off than the immediately preceding generations ('the first generations to be worse off than their parents'). It goes to things like climate change and job security as well as real estate prices.

Life expectancy at birth has continued to rise since 1985. From about 73 years in males to 81.5 now. Females from 80 years to 85.5 now.

If you are looking at children born after 1985, their parents might have been born between 1945 and 1965. Those children would have likely had better housing, education, healthcare, travel options etc than their parents. How has climate change affected the lives of anyone so far?

Maybe you are thinking of the generation born after 2000?

real estate prices...lol
GTFOH, is what it is ,quit ya bitching over shit you have no control over!
Cant afford a house wahhhhhhhhh wahhhhhh
Neither can most other people you entitled little shit!

real estate prices...lol
GTFOH, is what it is ,quit ya bitching over s**t you have no control over!
Cant afford a house wahhhhhhhhh wahhhhhh
Neither can most other people you entitled little s**t!
This type of attitude is exactly what creates these generational divides. Also wouldn't saying being able to afford some shelter is entitlement, it's a human necessity. Also real estate prices is exactly something we have control over, it's a human made process, it's not "it is what it is" like it's the god damn weather lol

This type of attitude is exactly what creates these generational divides. Also wouldn't saying being able to afford some shelter is entitlement, it's a human necessity. Also real estate prices is exactly something we have control over, it's a human made process, it's not "it is what it is" like it's the god damn weather lol
Afford some shelter? rent.
If you cant afford to buy.
Just like millions upon millions of others.
People are nothing special just because they are "young".

Renting prices is worse than buying atm

and no, but every generation has their own struggles, ours is buying houses/renting. Older generations had their own struggles too and I bet they would have hated it when their elders would have dismissed and buried their heads into the sand too.

Renting prices is worse than buying atm

and no, but every generation has their own struggles, ours is buying houses/renting. Older generations had their own struggles too and I bet they would have hated it when their elders would have dismissed and buried their heads into the sand too.
Yes, if you cant afford to buy, you rent.
It costs more ,yes, I dont like it any more than you, I rent as well.
I am not a Boomer.
What are you going to do?
nothing.
besides earn more money so you can buy a house.
If not, like me you just focus on other things in life you enjoy and value and forget owning a ****ing house.
It is NOT a right to be able to buy a house.

It is NOT a right to be able to buy a house.

It is a voting issue though, vote for parties with a plan to address housing affordability, not those who don't.

Same goes for healthcare, education, climate, infrastructure, or <whatever someone cares about>.

There's big, high-level issues that as an individual you can't do much about, but as a voter you can vote in parties and candidates who can and will do things about the big issues.

The LNP is getting smacked around because they've completely neglected the youth and their challenges, in favour of funneling money in to big corporates and the already wealthy. I wonder why younger people aren't finding them appealing to vote for?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prices are pretty nuts but I'll be honest I find the constant whinging about interest rates from foolish people that borrowed too much quite funny.
it's like cost of living.

the people banging on about it are buying their lunch every day and insisting on buying steaks and big ****in rumps of meat every second night.

it's like cost of living.

the people banging on about it are buying their lunch every day and insisting on buying steaks and big *in rumps of meat every second night.

It's like those frozen meals that are $10-14 and barely 300g.

How can a business get away with charging so much for so little food?

Well people must be buying them.

There are too many nuffies floating around these days who think they're an entrepreneur in waiting. Points for trying, but the economy can only support so many small businesses in the same niche.
My youngest is one of these , has no idea how he’s going to go about it but is adamant he’ll be rich from the internet .

Is it Boomery to be absolutely baffled by the amount of people travelling around filming themselves and making a living ( apparently) from it ?

I’m getting very boomery here , but these same stupid hypocrites exposing quiet , idyllic locations to fund their lazy lifestyle shits me to tears .
Jelly , yeh maybe , but where does it end and why in gods name does every bloody moment have to be filmed ?

Do you agree on my take on what the word means these days? What are your thoughts on the intergenerational disagreements in Australia? Did older generations have it easier?
No way
My kids ( and many western kids ) :

have travelled more than their grandparents

Will ( hopefully if I don’t squander it all 😁) be very well looked after thanks to the luck we as Gen X have had .

Have nutrition that’s second to none

Lowest jobless rate in a long while

Can travel at the drop of a hat

5 star Housing comfort

Great education and easy access to universities ( yes it’s more expensive now but it’s also easier than it ever was to get in )

Last edited:
Or move somewhere it’s affordable !
Plenty of regional places you can still buy house and land for $200,000 and I guarantee they’d get a job easily if they wanted one

My youngest is one of these , has no idea how he’s going to go about it but is adamant he’ll be rich from the internet .

Is it Boomery to be absolutely baffled by the amount of people travelling around filming themselves and making a living ( apparently) from it ?

It's not for everyone and most that succeed are done after 2-3 years by the burn out of having to provide content daily. It seems you need really thick skin as whatever you do comes with backlash and abuse.

I watch a few travel vlogs on youtube and I wonder if travelling and filming all the time and then having to edit videos and upload content, starts taking away some of the magic and excitement of travel.

Geez, I hope interest rates keep going up.
My nephew thinks everyone has a 14 bedroom 8 car garage and 9 bathroom house with his and her jet skis and yearly gold coast holidays.
I've tried explaining economics but he keeps saying " you old people don't understand ".
Rate rises and severe losses are the only thing that will stop thier stupidity.

Geez, I hope interest rates keep going up.
My nephew thinks everyone has a 14 bedroom 8 car garage and 9 bathroom house with his and her jet skis and yearly gold coast holidays.
I've tried explaining economics but he keeps saying " you old people don't understand ".
Rate rises and severe losses are the only thing that will stop thier stupidity.

Did he say this or are you just assuming?

Boomers love pulling the “millennials just wanna live in mansions”, nearly every young person I know would be happy in a smallish apartment lmao

Cooking is a bit of a lost skill it seems, it's significantly cheaper to cook for yourself. Also doing a day or two (or more) a week vegetarian will drastically cut down the cost of your grocery shop where meat is quite expensive.

No way
My kids ( and many western kids ) :

have travelled more than their grandparents

Will ( hopefully if I don’t squander it all 😁) be very well looked after thanks to the luck we as Gen X have had .

Have nutrition that’s second to none

Lowest jobless rate in a long while

Can travel at the drop of a hat

5 star Housing comfort

Great education and easy access to universities ( yes it’s more expensive now but it’s also easier than it ever was to get in )

A lot of this doesn't differ significantly from 30-40 years ago though.

Those seem to always be on sale for $6 every two weeks, so probably just mark the price up so that the 'sale' is just the normal price and people will buy a bunch thinking they're getting a good deal. But I agree, if you're in the supermarket buying those how hard is it to just make a homemade curry with rice instead that will taste much better and cheaper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Boomers vs the rest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back