BOOO-ing Goodes

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You really think that Jetta wants to come play for the Eagles now? He seemed pretty offended yesterday.

(and yes, I'm aware that a lot of people don't really rate him; that's besides the point)
Jetta probably won't because our crowd boo his mate. When it becomes an issue of money and success at another club? Well, we will see. People forgive a multitude of sins to go and play at other clubs for various reasons. True, he may not. I'm one of the people who are not concerned he may not come.

It's a big deal now because another player decided to do a war dance celebration then whinge after the game about it.

I'm getting a good laugh out of attitudes like this. On the one hand, people say they paid money to go to the game and they have every right to boo opposing players whenever they want. But then they also bash Jetta for doing a war dance in defence of his teammate - which, of course, he has every right to do as well. I mean, if you're going to try to get under the skin of opposing players, don't suddenly be offended when a reaction is provoked.

I felt sorry for him when I was watching the replay. Then saw him get a free kick (may be 3rd quarter) and he was having a tanty for not getting the ball back fast enough... Fair to say I questioned how sorry I was.

I'd really prefer people didn't do it, but as long as it's not racially motivated, I can accept it.

Some well considered opinions in this thread xoxo AOW

Just when our supporter base was gaining respect after the Adelaide game, Bit disappointing in my view,

I was watching a Sydney game recently and at that ground Goodes was booed every time he got the ball.
Why are West Coast fans disgraceful and thoat fan base not?
Goodes said himself he is sick of getting booed all the time and doesn't understand the negative energy towards him. It isn't just our supporter base so why are we being singled out?

I think because Goodes had the audacity to speak out when he should have just sat in the corner and said "yes boss , no boss ."
You are kidding me right. The people who think this is a racist thing are the ignorant ones. I work with indigenous people, I grew up with indigenous people, . I was at the game, I didn't boo,the loudest booing was to the umpire when he missed a blatant push by Goodes. Everywhere he has gone this year he has been booed, why, not because he is a proud aboriginal, but because he is a tool, period. Do you not what I yelled at him. RETIRE GOODES because you just got owned by a first gamer

I'm getting a good laugh out of attitudes like this. On the one hand, people say they paid money to go to the game and they have every right to boo opposing players whenever they want. But then they also bash Jetta for doing a war dance in defence of his teammate - which, of course, he has every right to do as well. I mean, if you're going to try to get under the skin of opposing players, don't suddenly be offended when a reaction is provoked.
Throwing an imaginary spear at people is very aggressive. Just try it in the city today at people. See what happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn't even look like Subi

On 2nd look (on my phone) the kid looks to have a teal & black beanie.
And the crowd in the background doesn't appear to have any yellow on and the seating looks quite steep whereas Subi is at a pretty shallow steepness.

Eh, I don't even give a stuff that he did it, I've said before I found it humorous because we were 8 goals up at the time.

You are kidding me right. The people who think this is a racist thing are the ignorant ones. I work with indigenous people, I grew up with indigenous people, . I was at the game, I didn't boo,the loudest booing was to the umpire when he missed a blatant push by Goodes. Everywhere he has gone this year he has been booed, why, not because he is a proud aboriginal, but because he is a tool, period. Do you not what I yelled at him. RETIRE GOODES because you just got owned by a first gamer

It's not ignorant at all. I've watched every club play this year, and I'm pretty sure that Goodes is the most widely-booed player in the comp. Is he the biggest diver, the dirtiest player? No. And obviously there's not much to criticise about his life off the field, as there is with many players. So there is something more to it, even if you in particular are not booing him for racial reasons.

There's a very long history of outspoken and controversial non-white sports figures being booed. This is true in Australia, America, Europe, etc. It's extremely naive to think that Goodes is only being booed because of the way he plays the game.

Throwing an imaginary spear at people is very aggressive. Just try it in the city today at people. See what happens.

What a terrible argument. Walking around the city going up to complete strangers is completely different than a player "throwing an imaginary spear" at people who are sitting down 20 metres away from him. Do you really think that people in the stands were scared by his display? Get a grip.

On 2nd look (on my phone) the kid looks to have a teal & black beanie.
And the crowd in the background doesn't appear to have any yellow on and the seating looks quite steep whereas Subi is at a pretty shallow steepness.

why let the truth get in the way of a good old fashion media beat up though?

Eh, I don't even give a stuff that he did it, I've said before I found it humorous because we were 8 goals up at the time.

Yeh that's what i found funny at the time too, but i guess it was his only opportunity and if he felt so bad for adam that the state of the game really didn't matter to him

I will try to reign in my tendencies to write essay length posts by again limiting myself to dot points. Since making my initial post after the game I have been an unreasonably long period of time thinking about this topic as I have found it strangely troubling. Many people have already read my mind and already stated (perhaps more eloquently than I) my thoughts, however as this is a forum (which gives us all the ability to shout our opinions into a vacuum, giving us the misguided sense we have the ability to change others' minds) I thought I would add my 2c (See - even my preamble is already longer than the average post! I am hopeless, really)

• I think many people are conflating "their personal opinion of Goodes" with "the perception that booing Goodes gives to others". Goodes might be the world's biggest "flog" (By the way, we should start a new fun game on here - everytime someone uses the epithet "flog", first person to post "bingo" wins a Dockers scarf, second person to post wins 2 Dockers scarves...sorry old joke) however when he gets booed, based around the broader context of both his race and his passion for trying to push the interests of aboriginal people, the whole "flog" bit gets lost.
  • Imagine you go to a party with all white people and there is just a single Aboriginal person. You see some dude you don't know start calling this Aborigine a "flog" or even an "ape" (I will get back to this in a moment by the way). This aborigine might be the world's biggest flog, however that's not how it will be perceived by others at the party. You are the one who will look like a flog.
  • To use another unrelated example. I used to live in Japan. I once had a conversation with an older Japanese person I knew very well who was outraged that the west was trying to stop Japan from eating whale. I asked him how many people actually at whale. He said maybe less than 1% of the population. My point was, like it or not, the rest of the world hates the idea of whales being slaughtered and this issue was tainting people's view of Japanese people. Considering the insignificant amount of whale actually eaten, whether or not the rest of the world was out of line was beside the point. Out of line or not, most people don't like the idea of whale slaughter. So at a purely unemotional level, the rational thing for the Japanese to do would be to stop killing whales. At this point in the analogy I was going to spell out the correlates with the Adam Goodes issue. However I have decided that if I need to spell it out literally for someone, they are not my target demographic here.
  • The behaviour at Subi yesterday not only played into the hands of the stereotype of the Eagles crowd within footy circles, it played into the stereotype of footy fans in the wider community. It wiped clean any goodwill created after the Adelaide game and also ensured that many Eagles fans woke today not feeling great because our team played well, but mortified at being associated with this embarrassing booing of Goodes.
  • To stay on the Adelaide game for a moment. For those who got off on booing Goodes and who were also at the Adelaide game. Take a moment to contrast the feeling you get when you reflect on both. Which one feels better? Use that realisation to guide future behaviour.
  • Yeah it might initially make you feel better to boo Goodes (or, as one poster last night did, link the Goodes issue with previous bad experiences with completely unrelated aboriginal people). The easy thing to do is be an automaton. Goodes = flog/outspoken on issues of race - therefore - boo.
  • Much harder is to stop, reflect on the broader context and then decide not to boo, despite how much you dislike Goodes.
I think these discussions are fantastic by the way. Everyone, irrespective of which side of the issue they stand, gets to have their say and perhaps have their position slightly tempered by a thoughtful explanation from someone with a different point of view.

For me, this came after reading quite a few of the most mind-boggling "I'm not a racist but..." posts. Some were verging on being actual satire of this particular stereotype. My particular favourite was the (to paraphrase, as I would prefer not to look it up and have to read it again) "I'm not a racist, but Adam Goodes actually does look like an ape" post. More than any other, this one statement perfectly summarises hundreds of years of racism and shows with unfortunate clarity the fact that so many people unwittingly (in both senses of the word) retain a largely unseen mental filter which dictates how they view black people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back