Booze - Have you given up drinking?

Remove this Banner Ad

My ex wife wanted me to go to AA cos I woke up one night and thought the bed was a urinal while drunk, I went to two sessions leaving after it was just a group of people telling horrific stories

One woman was talking about how she ran over her son and broke his leg, then took him to hospital and got pissed in the emergency room, then some guy went on a rant to her about how hes a bigger alcoholic than her and it turned into some weird sport where everybody wanted to be the biggest alcoholic
and I just kept thinking to myself "All i did was accidentally piss on my wife" so nah havent really quit aye but Ive cut down
Not trying to compete, but some thing happened to me 15-20 years ago. It was beside the bed and a perfect circle. My partner and I blamed each other.

It was a close to perfect circle of urine. Onky a lady could do that.

No real pungent aroma.

Knew my partner was the one when she was on her knees doing a scratch and sniff test. Keeper.

That's awesome. I was a late bloomer. Very invested in sport till about 22 years old. Worked in hospitality where it all changed.

Definetly happy to have reduced consumption severely, but still love a few froathies every now and again.

Customer service is enough to make a priest an alcoholic.

Hello all, some interesting stories I've just caught up on. I haven't been online, or at least on this forum since October last year. Geelong loss just had me shattered and totally disillusioned with footy for a while. I just needed a break so to speak.

Anyway, how have I been going? Have I had any success at all?

Well, from October onwards, I was absolutely sh1tful to be honest. I drank as much as I'd ever had, every day practically. Got through Christmas, Boxing Day, New Years, and both kid's birthdays in first half of January 2021. Then something just clicked.........

It was January 17th, the wife and I had been talking about giving up the booze and we decided to give it a crack. I even convinced my close mate and drinking buddy to join me in giving up the booze for 100 days.

Fast forward to today, 41 days later, and I have not consumed or even had a sip of even one single drink. Zero booze in 41 days and counting.

I'm sleeping so much better, it's outrageously good! Averaging 7-8hrs every night of unbroken sleep. I wake up fresh every day and feel more amazing as the days tick over.

I am a better husband, better father, better employee, the list goes on and on. I have saved SO MUCH MONEY! I'm currently saving at least $30 a day by not drinking. That's over $1,200 saved already......WOWEE!!

I've recently gone back to the local gym in the last 1.5 weeks. Stomach has started to shrink ever so slightly.

My vital organs must be loving life so much better now that I've stopped constantly abusing the sh1t out of them with alcohol, lack of sleep and general bad health.

I can't even explain why I eventually gave up, but it was easy once I decided. I can't remember who said it on an earlier post in this thread, but once you've had a gutful of something, it's amazing the strength you have and the resolve you have to just get that out of your life. Giving up has been so easy.

My plan is to get to 100 days which takes me to late April. Then I will reassess I suppose.

I don't plan to go back to drinking again at this stage, and considering how good I am feeling and how I'm not missing alcohol at all, I really don't think I'll ever go back to drinking alcohol again.

Thanks to everyone who has supported me to date and offered encouragement and their opinions. It all helps.

Even you TradeDraft, thanks for your reply even though it wasn't really constructive or helpful at all :p

Hope you’re going well Premier Pies. I like a drink, as most people know, and am still smashing the beers. I have cut back during the week, but go hard on the weekend. It’s hard to give up, I guess you have to really want it.

Can’t give you advice from me, but Alice Cooper reckons you replace it with something else. He chose golf.

Take care.

I have worked in the alcoholic beverage industry for over 30 years, seen many a good person ruin their careers, marriages, lives etc. If you don't manage it, it will manage you, or perhaps that should read ruin you.

I enjoy a good drink as much as the next person, just but whether its a tonic or a poison is based purely on the dosage.

Having a break from alcohol every now and then is a very good idea

For me, because, I make it, sell it, sample it, critique it and write about it, I taste professionally all the time, basically every day. So my management system is very different from most. I don't keep alcohol at home and I don't drink at home nor do I drink alone. I am purely a professional sampler and social drinker who will drink wine with dinner and occasionally have a drink with mates but very, very rarely to excess. I feel much better for it and it is interesting and very informative to witness the behavior of people/friends with a drinking problem when we are out, it's enough to put me off regular excess drinking, to be honest.

Hope you’re going well Premier Pies. I like a drink, as most people know, and am still smashing the beers. I have cut back during the week, but go hard on the weekend. It’s hard to give up, I guess you have to really want it.

Can’t give you advice from me, but Alice Cooper reckons you replace it with something else. He chose golf.

Take care.
I can't imagine Alice Cooper playing golf!

Take care.

Have you done much research on the long term damage beer causes the body?

I drink every day - a 700ml bottle of whisky (mixed with soda) lasts me around 5 days. The drinking is largely confined to a time period of 5pm to 8pm. I sleep now between 2 to 4 hours a night in what is a regular pattern, and never fall asleep again after waking. It's torturous night after night, rolling uncomfortably around from the early dark hours and not daring to check the time. I also use sleeping pills which have only a mild placebo effect now. I have often wondered if my sleep pattern would change if I took the alcohol out of the equation. Habits that have been acquired to add a comfort factor to your life are hard to break.

I drink every day - a 700ml bottle of whisky (mixed with soda) lasts me around 5 days. The drinking is largely confined to a time period of 5pm to 8pm. I sleep now between 2 to 4 hours a night in what is a regular pattern, and never fall asleep again after waking. It's torturous night after night, rolling uncomfortably around from the early dark hours and not daring to check the time. I also use sleeping pills which have only a mild placebo effect now. I have often wondered if my sleep pattern would change if I took the alcohol out of the equation. Habits that have been acquired to add a comfort factor to your life are hard to break.

Alcohol reduces REM sleep to varying degrees depending on the individual. In your case it might very well be a factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I use these products.
Only the pastilles, but the Mrs uses the spray/drops when needed.
No side effects. All natural.

I use these products.
Only the pastilles, but the Mrs uses the spray/drops when needed.
No side effects. All natural.

You did tell me this before and I bought and tried the spray but it did not work for me.

I don't live in Beijing though
Every time we drive over the range to see Melbourne spread out before us we notice the haze of pollution that hovers over the place.
Ever time we return from a day in Melbourne we have a headache.
You can pretend you don’t live in a place that is trying to kill you, but you are only fooling yourself.
(and Janathas)

You did tell me this before and I bought and tried the spray but it did not work for me.
Fair enough.
Try the pastilles. Yes I know they aren’t the “sleep” remedy, but I’ve had great results.
Oh, and don’t give up after just a day or two. Might take a week or so to kick in.
Doesnt work for everyone I know, but anything that gets you away from the sleeping drugs, that don’t really give you quality sleep, has to be worth it.

Every time we drive over the range to see Melbourne spread out before us we notice the haze of pollution that hovers over the place.
You can pretend you don’t live in a place that is trying to kill you, but you are only fooling yourself.
(and Janathas)

Are there any photos of his black fog hovering over Melbourne?

What research did you read about the damage we are suffering from small Australian cities?

(and Janathas)

Stats in Australia don't back you up. Even asthma is higher in the regions than the cities.

National Health Performance Authority data show life expectancy at birth in 2011 ranged between 82.0 and 83.6 years in metropolitan catchments, 81.4 to 81.6 years across catchments in regional hubs and 78.3 to 80.6 years in rural areas

Remove this Banner Ad

Back