Bowden's tactics

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: You people are deranged...who exactly is ruining the game?

Most people seem to be supporting Bowden. He found a flaw in the rules and exploited it, good on him. Doesn't mean the flaw shouldn't be addressed.

Just need to make it consistent with the kicking-out-of-bounds when kicking in after a point rule. Currently if the ball goes out of bound without another player touching it, it is a free. That should be extended to the scoring zone.

Problem solved.

Excellent post:thumbsu:

Makes sense!

And Bowden would have played on, with no one behind him, ran 30 meters backwards and still rushed it.

So he would have ran 50m to rush a behind? Geez you would have thought he was a chance at getting tackled which would result in holding the ball. Shot at goal. Game over. Bowden is now an idiot.

And Bowden would have played on, with no one behind him, ran 30 meters backwards and still rushed it.

The opposition players would've crowded their forward 50 by this stage. He would have been caught holding the ball without going 10 metres backwards. Shot on goal, kicks it through. End game. Bowden humiliated.

So he would have ran 50m to rush a behind? Geez you would have thought he was a chance at getting tackled which would result in holding the ball. Shot at goal. Game over. Bowden is now an idiot.

He wouldn't have had to run 50 meters.

There's no rule saying that you have to stand within x meters of the man on the mark. The closest player to Bowden (as an example) would have been the man on the mark, about 15 meters away. He would have had at least a 15 meter head start (puts him about 45 out), probably more until the man on the mark realised what he was doing. He would have made it to 30 out before anybody would have a hope of catching him, and he dribbles it in from there.

Obviously it is a lot of stuffing around to rush a behind, but there you go.

The opposition players would've crowded their forward 50 by this stage. He would have been caught holding the ball without going 10 metres backwards. Shot on goal, kicks it through. End game. Bowden humiliated.

Bowden then kicks it to one of the then many free Richmond defenders, and the game goes on.

He wouldn't have had to run 50 meters.

There's no rule saying that you have to stand within x meters of the man on the mark. The closest player to Bowden (as an example) would have been the man on the mark, about 15 meters away. He would have had at least a 15 meter head start (puts him about 45 out), probably more until the man on the mark realised what he was doing. He would have made it to 30 out before anybody would have a hope of catching him, and he dribbles it in from there.

Obviously it is a lot of stuffing around to rush a behind, but there you go.

If he has given a 50m away to get him out of the goal square I think there is a fair chance he knows what Bowden is doing. Just get one Essendon player goal side of Bowden so he cant run backwards. Things like this can be beaten and I can guarantee if Bowdens blows the game the next time he wont try it again.

Bowden made a great tactical move and it won Richmond the game.

I hate it when something happens in one game and people call for a rule change. If it happens on a few occasions, then look into it. Until then, leave the game alone.

I cant believe that its caused this much hullabaloo. There were a million more factors that contributed more to the result of the game than that. It might not work next time, no need to change a rule about it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just leave the game alone, the game is so overumpired now, we don't need another knee jerk reaction to something that makes our game so unique.

I cant believe that its caused this much hullabaloo. There were a million more factors that contributed more to the result of the game than that. It might not work next time, no need to change a rule about it

I can't believe you use the word 'hullabaloo':D

Seriously, step over the mark and give Bowden a massive hip and shoulder, thus giving away a 50mtr penalty. Issue resolved and you get a good cheapshot in as well:thumbsu:

Seriously watching it.
Who gives a shit, it looked pretty obvious to me he didn't kick it because their was no bloody options on offer, so rather then bomb it long and hope for the best he put it through to regroup and found a target in McMahon.
It didn't even waste that much time

Seriously, step over the mark and give Bowden a massive hip and shoulder, thus giving away a 50mtr penalty. Issue resolved and you get a good cheapshot in as well:thumbsu:

I was thinking about this, and with taking shots behind a mark, is there a rule to say how far you have to stand away from mark? Because can't he just stay where he is in the goal square, because he's behind the mark, and in line? Then just pop it through for a behind again...

Re: Just for your information...

Yeah, and on at least one occasion last year when a team (tigers i think but not sure) lost after leading by 3 or 4 points with a minute to go, it was suggested by many that all they had to do to ensure victory was rush a couple of behinds to chew up some clock. So i agree it is not a revolutionary idea at all - just never been done in AFL. And some are calling Bowden a genius. lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Bowden's tactics

Remove this Banner Ad

Back