Game Day Box Hill v Richmond @ Box Hill City Oval 2pm 21/7 Live Stream Link in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Went to the game today, a few things I noticed:

Man there are a lot of nuffs that go to the VFL, was like a zoo seeing some of the tigers supporters there, most of which I’m sure post here!

NANKERVIS - played first half, had some good taps and seemed to gel with Townsend very well. A few big textbook Nank tackles and a nice goal on qtr time siren. Looked good, was running on top of the ground.

CADDY - Played first 3 qtrs, nothing to write home about really. Wasn’t great, wasn’t poor. Haven’t seen the stats for anyone yet but can’t imagine he got too much of it. Played the whole time in the midfield from what I saw.

MARKOV - Looked the most dangerous forward, kicked 4 and gave a few off. Would like to see him played forward in the seniors at some point when/if he gets his chance again.

RCD - Built as the game went on, got a few nice clearances but still looks like a boy. Glad we don’t have to rush him into the seniors. Let him continue to build in the 2s.

BALTA - Provided pretty good run and drive off half back, is a very loud talker. Made a few silly decisions but thought he had a pretty good game.

TOWNSEND - He and Morris are absolute psychos. Some delicious hits he put on, makes opposition players nervous. Played the whole game in the midfield and I thought he was one of our best. Was also very loud, encouraging and instructional which surprised me a bit.

COLEMAN JONES - Was ok, gave a good aerial contest most of the time, without looking at the stats Incouldnt tell you about the hit outs. Didn’t get noticeably monstered. Nearly took a huge screamer near the end of the game.

BUTLER - Both his goals off the deck in the goal square, got caught a couple of times and had a few nice pieces here and there. Can’t see him playing for us again this year. He should have been much more dominant at that level.

EGG NOGG - Got a fair bit of footy, was generally a switch option and used it pretty well. Got caught a few times with his opponent getting the ball over the back but I thought he had a good game. Competed well in close and doesn’t give up.

GARTHWAITE - Defensively very good, always flying in late and killing the ball over the boundary with a late fist. You can tell he’s been ‘raised’ by Rance, Astbury and Grimes. Is quite quick too, he ran past his opponent a few times to clear the ball away.

Never get sick of winning!! Boxhill are a decent outfit the boys were excellent most of the day. The only time they weren’t in control was the final 10 minutes and a short patch during the 2nd

Nank - looked very good his ground level work was exceptional- tackled and attacked the ball ferociously.

Caddy had a real crack too and got plenty of it in the first half . Played on ball but appeared to get a lot of touches back of centre

Naish very good.. .looked to have more time than anyone else out there and his kicking was all class. Would have had high 20s I’d say.

Egg very good by foot and mopped up across hb and deep in their backline. Just got beaten a couple of times in one on ones in the 2nd half. Probably as a result of being caught out in mismatches.

CJ is an excellent athlete for his size. Every time you see him you think he’s improved. One effort stood out in the last when he followed up after a ruck contest on the wing won the ground ball and ditched off to a runner. 5 minutes later he was jumping on an opponents shoulders and nearly plucking mark of the year. I reckon he’s got the ability and athleticism to play kp roles as well as rucking.

Markov was lively today up forward but honestly can’t see a spot for him in the 1s. Think forward role might be his best opportunity however, because he doesn’t get enough of it playing that sweeping hb role.

RCD - watched him closely at stoppages and imo he needs to be involved in more contests. I have got a feeling he’s trying to work on his outside game because a couple of times today at stoppages I thought it was his turn to go and he didn’t. Maybe playing to coaches instructions

Balta - love watching him just plays with so much energy. Over cooked s few kicks today but is going to be a really good player for us down the track

Last edited:

Naish 31 disposals (22 kicks 9 handballs) 9 marks 2 tackles 1.1
Egg-Smith 26 disposals (14 kicks 12 handballs) 9 marks 5 tackles
Caddy 18 disposals (11 kicks 7 handballs) 6 marks 2 tackles 3/4 game time
English 18 disposals (11 kicks 7 handballs) 3 marks 0.2
Menadue 18 disposals (13 kicks 5 handballs) 6 marks 2 tackles 2.0
Townsend 18 disposals (14 kicks 4 handballs) 4 marks 3 tackles 1.0
Butler 17 disposals (12 kicks 5 handballs) 1 mark 5 tackles 2.1
Balta 15 disposals (13 kicks 2 handballs) 6 marks 1 hitout
CCJ 15 disposals (7 kicks 8 handballs) 4 marks 3 tackles 12 hitouts 1.0
Garthwaite 15 disposals (10 kicks 4 handballs) 5 marks 4 tackles
RCD 14 disposals (10 kicks 4 handballs) 4 marks 8 tackles
Markov 14 disposals (11 kicks 3 handballs) 4 marks 2 tackles 4.1
Aarts 11 disposals (7 kicks 4 handballs) 3 marks 1 tackle
Miller 10 disposals (8 kicks 2 handballs) 5 marks 2 tackles
Nankervis 8 disposals (4 kicks 4 handballs) 1 mark 3 tackles 13 hitouts 1.0 1/2 game time

Did caddy play restricted minutes too? I was only looking at stats and scores thru the footy live app..
three quarters.
he is doing a mini preseason.

Went to the game today, a few things I noticed:

Man there are a lot of nuffs that go to the VFL, was like a zoo seeing some of the tigers supporters there, most of which I’m sure post here!

NANKERVIS - played first half, had some good taps and seemed to gel with Townsend very well. A few big textbook Nank tackles and a nice goal on qtr time siren. Looked good, was running on top of the ground.

CADDY - Played first 3 qtrs, nothing to write home about really. Wasn’t great, wasn’t poor. Haven’t seen the stats for anyone yet but can’t imagine he got too much of it. Played the whole time in the midfield from what I saw.

MARKOV - Looked the most dangerous forward, kicked 4 and gave a few off. Would like to see him played forward in the seniors at some point when/if he gets his chance again.

RCD - Built as the game went on, got a few nice clearances but still looks like a boy. Glad we don’t have to rush him into the seniors. Let him continue to build in the 2s.

BALTA - Provided pretty good run and drive off half back, is a very loud talker. Made a few silly decisions but thought he had a pretty good game.

TOWNSEND - He and Morris are absolute psychos. Some delicious hits he put on, makes opposition players nervous. Played the whole game in the midfield and I thought he was one of our best. Was also very loud, encouraging and instructional which surprised me a bit.

COLEMAN JONES - Was ok, gave a good aerial contest most of the time, without looking at the stats Incouldnt tell you about the hit outs. Didn’t get noticeably monstered. Nearly took a huge screamer near the end of the game.

BUTLER - Both his goals off the deck in the goal square, got caught a couple of times and had a few nice pieces here and there. Can’t see him playing for us again this year. He should have been much more dominant at that level.

EGG NOGG - Got a fair bit of footy, was generally a switch option and used it pretty well. Got caught a few times with his opponent getting the ball over the back but I thought he had a good game. Competed well in close and doesn’t give up.

GARTHWAITE - Defensively very good, always flying in late and killing the ball over the boundary with a late fist. You can tell he’s been ‘raised’ by Rance, Astbury and Grimes. Is quite quick too, he ran past his opponent a few times to clear the ball away.
Oiiii I dropped in there for a Qtr and I post on big footy😆 had to get back coz I left the kids in the car ,,,,,,to take the dog for a walk
Our vfl side plays like the afl side with the F1 speed forward handball , sitting near the dugout was interesting how many times they bellowed the C word ,,,,corridor , we own it and all our plans are either using it or keeping the oppo out

Luke English, how'd he go?

I went to the sponsor dinner as the BF guy sponsoring him. really nice guy and level headed.

looks like he did OK. Hope he does really well as one of the BF specials.

Luke English, how'd he go?

I went to the sponsor dinner as the BF guy sponsoring him. really nice guy and level headed.

looks like he did OK. Hope he does really well as one of the BF specials.
Prob his highest possie game looks like a workhorse style of player in the milesy mould to me . Next year Would want to add a trick or two or start accumulating a lot more ball to forge a career , has missed a bit of footy though with illness and minor injury

Prob his highest possie game looks like a workhorse style of player in the milesy mould to me . Next year Would want to add a trick or two or start accumulating a lot more ball to forge a career , has missed a bit of footy though with illness and minor injury

Yeah, lots of bad luck for he kid. Got ill, then CCJ landed on him in a training drill and broke his shoulder bone. The club has told him about 2 more years before they'll make a judgement. they expect him t be a slow burn type player. Good that he's picking up some possessions so soon after coming back in. Hopefully he can step it up a level or 3 in the next year or 2.

Yeah, lots of bad luck for he kid. Got ill, then CCJ landed on him in a training drill and broke his shoulder bone. The club has told him about 2 more years before they'll make a judgement. they expect him t be a slow burn type player. Good that he's picking up some possessions so soon after coming back in. Hopefully he can step it up a level or 3 in the next year or 2.
A late midfield draft pick wont get 3y to show something, next year would need to show improvement, good luck to the kid

A late midfield draft pick wont get 3y to show something, next year would need to show improvement, good luck to the kid

Most probably. But he said he, and the other draftees, were told they had time to start to show something. Apparently some other clubs are much more 'perform or be gone'. Allows us to develop kids with less pressure. Build their bodies more slowly, so that they last in the AFL longer. Let them learn how to play the game at the top level rather than sink or swim.

So my guess would be that he has developed physically and in game play, and is showing regularly that he is at least VFL level talent. Doesn't have to be knocking the AFL down. It's all about development with a 10 year timeline in mind. That is, the club wants players that will not make the AFL, but who will be long termers.

If other clubs aim to find out super fast who is AFL, but then lose slower developing players, that could be to our advantage over time. i.e. Just add three more AFL quality players to your list compared to your competition is a huge advantage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Way to early to judge last year's draftees. Did Miller play.
Yep Miller played.
He was ok, didn’t get a lot of it, competed well in the air and kicking was solid.
He’s a long way back when compared to the development of Balta and CJ, but he was more of a speculative pick than those 2 who look like AFL players.
His development might be a lot slower and along the lines of Chol who was in the system for quite a while before he found his feet

Last edited:
Why can't we give him 3 years to develop? Undersized kid who has shown some good traits at junior level and early in his first season before injury and illness struck him down, effectively ruining his first year. We don't need him to step up next year as we've already got good midfield depth. Another full preseason and an clean run at it next year and look to 2021 for him to come in to the AFL side. By then he'll have 3 preseasons of development in him and will be much better placed to come in and handle AFL.

Why can't we give him 3 years to develop? Undersized kid who has shown some good traits at junior level and early in his first season before injury and illness struck him down, effectively ruining his first year. We don't need him to step up next year as we've already got good midfield depth. Another full preseason and an clean run at it next year and look to 2021 for him to come in to the AFL side. By then he'll have 3 preseasons of development in him and will be much better placed to come in and handle AFL.

If you watched his game on the weekend you wouldn't give him next year. All well and good to say he needs a preseason but you also need the tools to develop which he doesn't have and someone at his height, athleticism and skill level should be having an immediate impact and looking like they belong, as the upside simply isn't there. Which on the weekend he looked completely out of his depth for VFL and in his position thats concerning given midfielders 180cm are dime a dozen.

Simply due to the volume of available mids of that size , good luck to him , Drummond got a few years so it’s not out of the question , it’s just my view with his skill set he’d wanna show something next year

If you watched his game on the weekend you wouldn't give him next year. All well and good to say he needs a preseason but you also need the tools to develop which he doesn't have and someone at his height, athleticism and skill level should be having an immediate impact and looking like they belong, as the upside simply isn't there. Which on the weekend he looked completely out of his depth for VFL and in his position thats concerning given midfielders 180cm are dime a dozen.
So far this year he has had a severe bout of tonsilitis, followed by a broken shoulder, meaning he has effectively missed the last 3 months of footy. For mine I'd write this season off and start judging him from next year.

FWIW he was a prolific ball winner at junior level averaging 28 disposals a game at Colts level last year and 23 disposals & 5.5 tackles a game in the U18 Champs as well.

So far this year he has had a severe bout of tonsilitis, followed by a broken shoulder, meaning he has effectively missed the last 3 months of footy. For mine I'd write this season off and start judging him from next year.

FWIW he was a prolific ball winner at junior level averaging 28 disposals a game at Colts level last year and 23 disposals & 5.5 tackles a game in the U18 Champs as well.

Agree RT, the kid needs a bit of time to bounce back and get his feel and touch again. Getting into the playing group mojo is not easy for everyone either, earning the confidence of others. Let's see how he rolls in a few more weeks.

zHnjP6C.png

VGSyNiR.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back