Universal Love Brad Close

Remove this Banner Ad

This guy is a Footballing Genius.

His contribution to the 2022 should never, ever be underestimated.

Brilliant for the entire season.

Clever, subtle, diligent - fit - composed, bloody clutch - waddaya want?

He was massive in 2022, let it never be forgotten.

Paul Chapman, Steve Johnson; that massive. But of course, he was his own thing.

What a little ripper.

He is an absolute Premiership Hero.

Still remember his first game - pouring rain in Perth against Freo in 2020 - my stepson and I dubbed him "mullet boy". He had the composure to slot a set shot for us in the first minute - one of only six goals for the night in a big win.

Been a bit of a favourite ever since. Got rid of the mullet too. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im under no pretensions that im any good at spotting talent etc but I can say hand on heart as soon as I watched Close I thought he was going to be a very good player.

He had decent speed, a big engine and he had that touch of poise that good players have.

For once I was correct, he’s just been fantastic and he will keep getting better. I am so excited to see what all these younger guys can do as their careers progress

5 goals, 5 goal assists and 21 score involvements this finals series. His passing radar was off against the Pies but he was still applying elite pressure and willing himself on the game. Then the polish returned and he was an absolute nightmare to deal with on that forward flank.

Works so hard defensively to push back too, blocking that space behind the ball then breaking at speed in those silky scoring chains. Smart player, even the little taps, flick ons, underground handballs - he keeps the momentum going out way and releases his team mates.

Bloody love Closey.

Close had 3 touches in the second half. These are the players I am most worried about come finals time.
Atkins, Zuthrie, Stanley, Blicavs, Menegola, Bews . . . . they need to play as they have done early in the year for us to win in weeks 1 or 2.
I'd throw Hawkins, Guthrie and Dangerfield in the mix as well. They have shown they go missing when the club has needed them the most in recent finals campaigns.
Thankfully everyone that was in the team excelled at thier role. Bees low touches but torched Paps.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Closey would be a good rugby league player based on a theory one of my former teammates and best mates shares with me.

You can tell a lot about a player - not always, but often - by how they present themselves aesthetically on the field. For some players it’s about presenting their physical stature - think Hawkins, Dangerfield. Some people perceive it as arrogance, I look at their tight singlets and their styled hair and their strut as an effort to demonstrate their physical presence, their power. Once that marries with how they play - and obviously by now it has - and they prove that they can deliver on that visual bravado, it gains more and more legs.

Close obviously can’t do that, he’s tiny.
So he presents the long sleeves - cold or not. The messy hair. The dirty moustache. This is a player who is ready to get down and dirty and run himself into the ground. Not for him the idea of looking flashy. His game is effort based and about using any means necessary to do what he’s got to do

I love it

Brad’s quickness of thinking, vision is off the chart. Speed, tackling, disposal, finishing - he’s got the lot.

And just great to watch. If he’s in the play something good is going to happen. Absolute gem.

And he’s one touch. The guy rarely, if ever, fumbles. Terrific footballer.

The ability of both Close and Miers to continually push up and down the ground to create an option coming out of the backline and also to stream forward on turnover has had a huge impact on the way we are able to play. Their endurance also allows more rotations from the interchange for the midfielders, keeping them fresher and able to have a better impact late into games. Add to this their clever ball use (in Miers case, sometimes too clever) and ability to both score and set up scoring opportunities for team-mates, and they really are the perfect half-forwards for our side - and both relatively still young at 23/24.

This kids goal assists - wow!.

He doesn't look the type but my god he is probably the best rookie I've ever seen in the hoops - and that's a big call.

I've got oppo supporter mates who ask me "where did this guy come from? - we'd love to have him"
Does anyone do the subtle little tap better than this lad in the AFL? No stats for it but he pulls them off every week. Absolute gun. Cleanest hands I’ve possibly ever seem.

Does anyone do the subtle little tap better than this lad in the AFL? No stats for it but he pulls them off every week. Absolute gun. Cleanest hands I’ve possibly ever seem.

I almost reckon the little one percenters to advantage like that should count for MORE than kicks and handballs. Anyone can pad those K/H stats. It's easy to kick or handball backwards to the defenders. Remember when Cam Guthrie did it at the very start of Brother Zuthrie's career to buff his numbers and get him noticed more?

One percenters to advantage are the REAL grunt work. They should effing count!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Brad Close

Remove this Banner Ad

Back