Brad Crouch

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently Melbourne are planning to pull a swifty with their first round pick. The idea is that they trade say pick 3 for pick 14-18 plus a player. They can then use the lower pick for Viney and get the player for free.

No doubt the AFL was endorse this only to change the rules a megasecond before we have our first father/son.

F/S bidding takes place before trade week to prevent this very scenario

Actually, that order is impossible...

If GWS bid on Viney, then Melbourne have to take him at #3 - ahead of Stringer. If neither GC nor GWS bid on Viney, then Melbourne will get to pick him up in the 2nd round (such are the vagaries of the F/S rule). Either way, he certainly won't be selected with pick #4.

Does it matter? Pick 3 and 4 are basically the same thing as Melbourne have both picks.

I agree with your point, but for the context of that post, Viney will go to Melbourne inside the top 4 picks.

F/S bidding takes place before trade week to prevent this very scenario

The swifty was suggested by some Melbourne supporters. Clearly the Demons can't even cheat the system successfully.

Regarding our compo pick (which we traded), isn't it is still based on where we finish so it has turned out to be an even better move in hindsight.

But do they commit pick 3, or their first round pick. Similiar to us trading a pick for Crouch, which is now far higher than was ever intended.

They commit a certain pick. The whole process concludes before trade week - the specific pick, whatever it ends up being, is irrevocably tied to the F/S selection and no trades can change it.

The swifty was suggested by some Melbourne supporters. Clearly the Demons can't even cheat the system successfully.

Regarding our compo pick (which we traded), isn't it is still based on where we finish so it has turned out to be an even better move in hindsight.

Yeah GWS are pissed with how well we are doing.

They can't trade pick #3 if GC or GWS make a bid for Viney. Under those circumstances, they would be forced to use pick #3 on him - and that pick would then be locked away and could not be traded.

If neither GC nor GWS bid for Viney, then they can do whatever they want with all 3 of their 1st round picks.

Do they have to nominate f/s picks before trade week?

Edit: Obviously this would have been a great question hadn't three people already just answered it

They commit a certain pick. The whole process concludes before trade week - the specific pick, whatever it ends up being, is irrevocably tied to the F/S selection and no trades can change it.

Just adding to this, they're not able to use compensation picks for F/S bidding which rules out their pick ~4 & ~12

They dont get to explicitly choose which pick they use anyway. It's just the next available pick after the highest bid from another club.

Just adding to this, they're not able to use compensation picks for F/S bidding which rules out their pick ~4 & ~12

They dont get to explicitly choose which pick they use anyway. It's just the next available pick after the highest bid from another club.

So hopefully GWS or GC bid on Viney. Would be insane for them to have picks 3, 4, and 12 and then be able to pick up Viney for a second rounder.

So hopefully GWS or GC bid on Viney. Would be insane for them to have picks 3, 4, and 12 and then be able to pick up Viney for a second rounder.

Yeah scary though. Certainly opens up the possibility of them having a Geelong-like draft and building a strong core to top tier players.

The story that will be asked is should we have taken Crouch ahead of Toumpas last year, are we in need of a line breaking,outside runner with elite kicking skills which Toumpas is, or an inside mid who prefers to distribute by hand over kick and already had a mature body. Toumpas will go top 2 this year and may even go No 1, trust me on that. We recruited Crouch, Kerridge, Grigg, Ellis-Yolmen and Joyce who are all inside mids with leg speed being an isuue with a few of them, and we have Danger, Thommo, Sloane who are also inside mids. Looking at our squad I personally think in terms of midfielders we need some outside run and carry players who use the ball well by foot. Not saying we did wrong by selecting Crouch but Toumpas may come back to bite us.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Let's not forget we were getting absolutely smashed in clearances and contested possession week in, week out, last season.

Toumpas is only apparently playing 2 more games this season due to hip problems. I highly doubt he'll be going top 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Let's not forget we were getting absolutely smashed in clearances and contested possession week in, week out, last season.

Toumpas is only apparently playing 2 more games this season due to hip problems. I highly doubt he'll be going top 2.
Won't affect his draft rating! Clubs love him and have seen enough.

aish is going to be an absolute monster. already carving up teams in the midfield at the age of 16. just a once in a generation player. unless he goes in the mini draft, he's surely the bolted on number 1 pick for the draft.

If he's eligible for this years mini-draft, it means he's not eligible for this years National Draft.

Won't affect his draft rating! Clubs love him and have seen enough.

Care to elaborate on how you know this?

The story that will be asked is should we have taken Crouch ahead of Toumpas last year, are we in need of a line breaking,outside runner with elite kicking skills which Toumpas is, or an inside mid who prefers to distribute by hand over kick and already had a mature body. Toumpas will go top 2 this year and may even go No 1, trust me on that. We recruited Crouch, Kerridge, Grigg, Ellis-Yolmen and Joyce who are all inside mids with leg speed being an isuue with a few of them, and we have Danger, Thommo, Sloane who are also inside mids. Looking at our squad I personally think in terms of midfielders we need some outside run and carry players who use the ball well by foot. Not saying we did wrong by selecting Crouch but Toumpas may come back to bite us.
I'll have money on that not happening :cool:

People are forgetting why Crouch is so valuable .....people are saying he's an inside player with OK pace

Go back and look at his video's .......he's well above OK pace

He's a player with both an inside & outside game

I'll back Crouch to be the better player ......have to remember the intel on Toumpas being Sth Aust player would have been exhaustive so to take Crouch in preference would have been well thought thru

I do agree he's a direct replacement for Thompson for when he retires

aish is going to be an absolute monster. already carving up teams in the midfield at the age of 16. just a once in a generation player. unless he goes in the mini draft, he's surely the bolted on number 1 pick for the draft.
Depends on whether he continues the history of Aish body's

If he can't put on more weight than his name-sakes .....then his future at AFL level may be very limited

I'll have money on that not happening :cool:

People are forgetting why Crouch is so valuable .....people are saying he's an inside player with OK pace

Go back and look at his video's .......he's well above OK pace

He's a player with both an inside & outside game

I'll back Crouch to be the better player ......have to remember the intel on Toumpas being Sth Aust player would have been exhaustive so to take Crouch in preference would have been well thought thru

I do agree he's a direct replacement for Thompson for when he retires

Would have to agree with this. So far, he's played 5 games in the SANFL. In 3 of them he has featured in the bests, and in another he only played a half due to being injured during the game. You don't do that at his age unless you're pretty damned good.

When you put it that way, Toumpas would have made sense and that's no slight on Crouch.

Anyway, looking at the mock drafts, the Davis pick would be about 17-20 this year. So effectively, we got Crouch for pick 10 last year in a compromised draft and Brown for pick 17-20 this year in a strong draft. Definitely a bargain on Crouch and more than likely overs on Brown. Overall a pretty big win.

I think a few years from now we will be very comfortable on who we picked in the mini draft. You only have to look at recent history for drafts to show you the best players don't go Number 1...and I don't just mean Melbournes picks.

Look at the draft Dangerfield was picked in (pick 10), a lot of experts had him in the 15-25 range, we picked him before Ebert much to the amazement of the press. 5 years down the track, do you think Danger has been a better pick than Rising Star winner and number 7 pick Ryhs Palmer, how about number 4 pick Cale Morton...or even number 1 pick Kruezer? He is certainly better than Ebert ( who I still rate as a far better player than Palmer for example.)

The only person picked ahead of Dangerfield who I think is possibly better than Danger is pick 2 Cotchin.

The talk of where Crouch would have ended up in this draft is nothing more than speculative at best and really means little. Those of us lucky enough to have watched him run around realise that we have a very talented little bugger joining us next year and to boot, we get a first round pick to join him at the draft.

I think a few years from now we will be very comfortable on who we picked in the mini draft. You only have to look at recent history for drafts to show you the best players don't go Number 1...and I don't just mean Melbournes picks.

Look at the draft Dangerfield was picked in (pick 10), a lot of experts had him in the 15-25 range, we picked him before Ebert much to the amazement of the press. 5 years down the track, do you think Danger has been a better pick than Rising Star winner and number 7 pick Ryhs Palmer, how about number 4 pick Cale Morton...or even number 1 pick Kruezer? He is certainly better than Ebert ( who I still rate as a far better player than Palmer for example.)

The only person picked ahead of Dangerfield who I think is possibly better than Danger is pick 2 Cotchin.

The talk of where Crouch would have ended up in this draft is nothing more than speculative at best and really means little. Those of us lucky enough to have watched him run around realise that we have a very talented little bugger joining us next year and to boot, we get a first round pick to join him at the draft.

Great post mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad Crouch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back