Veteran Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2009 Player Sponsor
Sep 21, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Man Utd, Cowboys, Stars
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/brad-hodge/story-e6frf9if-1225805240920

VICTORIA'S greatest run-scorer Brad Hodge has conceded his Test dream is over and will tomorrow morning announce he is quitting first-class cricket.

Hodge, 34, will play two more Sheffield Shield games before stepping aside after Christmas to devote more time to his family.

"I was struggling to find reasons as to why I wanted to play. I've always wanted to play Test cricket for as long as I can. But what's the difference if I get one more Test now? I want to play 30 or more, but that's not going to happen. In my own mind I just didn't want to go through it any more.

"To be honest, I struggled in the contest. The passion to play is not there any more.

"I played (first-class cricket) so I could play for Australia, so I reached the point where I was struggling to work out the reasons why I was still playing."

Am I the only one who thinks it comes across as a massive dummy-spit?
"What's the difference? Whaa whaa I wanna play 30 tests not 1, I wanna I wanna!"

FFS Brad:rolleyes:

Great career, could have achieved more, was wrongfully dropped for Clarke. Yeah spoke his mind about this after that, but what else do you expect? Did not saying anything work for Stuart Law, Jamie Siddons, Jamie Cox, Michael Di Venuto?

The guy played great cricket domestically and internationally, class player and the Vics won't be going back to back without him. Hopefully he gets a gig on fox sport so we can really hear about it.

Brad always seemed like one of those guys who would play until his late 30's so it's a bit of a shock.

He's been a constant in my beloved Victorian team for the best part of two decades and frankly it's going to be weird (and sad) watching us play withing BJ Hodge at number three.

Brad can walk away with his head held high, safe in the knowledge that he performed excellently at EVERY level and did all he could to be the best.

It closes a long chapter in Victorian cricket but hopefully it opens another chapter with Michael Hill or Aaron Finch in the starring role.

He's a bit of a knob, but I do feel sorry for him.

He's dedicated his life to trying to play Test Cricket; and he's good enough to, and has probably earned the right to, it's just he's apparently a bit of a knob.
This.

Sucks that his career turned out the way it did. I'm also shocked - a player of his quality can make plenty of money playing FC cricket late into his 30s or even into his 40s, look at Mark Ramprakash. OTOH it's kind of refreshing to see a player who has reached his zenith retire to make way for younger men, rather than keep a mortgage on his spot. And I'm sure List A and T20 will keep the dollars rolling in for a good length of time yet.

Can't wait for his autobiography... what a steaming stack of bile that's going to be. :rolleyes:

20080420_v042008db-0363wjpg-515h.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The guy played great cricket domestically and internationally, class player and the Vics won't be going back to back without him. Hopefully he gets a gig on fox sport so we can really hear about it.

Another reason to avoid Fox

great player, just a shame he was making runs when australian cricket was so strong. just one of those things really.

as for getting a spot with fox sports, not a chance considering bracken and stu clarke are their regulars. speaking of bracken, he must be their love child with all the air time he gets. you dont get a look in on the network unless you play for nsw

would love for him to release a tell all book. lets face it, geoff lawson has a point, its personality driven. hope he explains the confusion that he (and many of aus cricketers outside the team) feel when dropped or not pciked cause the selectors pick and choose their excuses/reasons dependant on the player. for player A its cause he's too old, but player B its cause he needs more experience.

Good onya Hodgey for a great first class career and doing well in the test team when you got the chance. One of Australia's classiest batsmen for a long time.

Clearly one of the best Victorian Batsmen. Continued to make runs year after year. Was unluckly not to have played more tests, but shit happens.

Has made the right decision to quit first class cricket as he wont play tests again and time to move on and open a spot for a player like Michael Hill to bat no.3 for Victoria.

Will continue to play Doemstic One Dayers and 20/20 and will make the bucks over in india in 20/20. Its the way of the future, Expect to see alot of players doing the same thing when they are in their early/mid 30's.

No doubts was a terrific cricketer - but Victorian Cricket never ever screwed him over - so his decision to leave them in the lurch mid season is incredibly selfish.

The way he has ended a great first class career won't be forgotten - and thats a shame.

No doubts was a terrific cricketer - but Victorian Cricket never ever screwed him over - so his decision to leave them in the lurch mid season is incredibly selfish.

The way he has ended a great first class career won't be forgotten - and thats a shame.

Agreed on that.

unfortuantly his decision probaly reflects on the kind of team man he is and why he probaly stuggled to play test cricket, no can can deny he should of played more test cricket and thats what he wanted and even if someone does get injured i think they would pick someone younger.

Hodge has obviously pissed the wrong people off and its a shame politics is still alive in Australian Cricket.

i can understand how he feels though, his making truck loads of runs and his already won a few shields so he must be finding it hard to play at the moment. hopefully someone can change his mind to see out the season.

There was an article by the age a few weeks ago with Hodge saying he was not going to hang around and clog up a spot that a young guy could use. He has had great career unfortunate to only have the 6 test matches. I think he is doing the right thing by his family and Victorian cricket, if the fire is not there he should not play.

Cricket Victoria need to use this now to get Finch or Hill into the 4 day side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad Hodge quits first-class cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Back