Suspended
Mar 9, 2006
At the disco!
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool
Is his career over?

To only get 3 overs on that deck is really saying that the skipper doesn't have confidence in him. He has been a good ODI contributer but i feel his international career may be over as selectors will look to push young Dan Cullen into the line-up.

Thoughts?

When Watson moved to open Ponting said it was a good move for team balance so that they could play both Watson and Hogg in the same side when at full strength. There's a good chance Katich will return for Hogg sometime soon I reckon if he is only going to bowl 3 overs.

Cooldude said:
Hogg is extremely underrated and a very very good ODI bowler

It's a disgrace the way he was treated yesterday

Exactly Hogg wasnt bowling that bad last night, went within a whisker of bowling Morton. Ponting is just the worst captain in cricket, great player but just a crap leader.

He's 35 so you'd think he'd be near the end...would be harsh to cut him just before the World Cup though. He was under utilised though, Ponting always makes poor captaincy decisions such as this one.

the question must be asked, what was he thinking trying to make that shot when we were in a good position to get the runs? He good have made a much more simple shot rather then exposing his wicket

should bring in white

better then ccullen stats prove and is a great batsmen

bushranger said:
should bring in white

better then ccullen stats prove and is a great batsmen

We are having a serious discussion here....

Hogg is unlucky, has been great for us since taking over from Warney in 2002/03. As much as Id love to see Cullen in the ODI team, if he isnt going to be frequently playing games, Id much rather him be playing for the mighty Redbacks.

What other one-day spinners do we have in the country? Not many options apart from Cullen and Hogg. I might be forgetting someone, but wouldnt Cullen Bailey be next in line, given Hauritz and Casson will be fighting each other off for a place ahead of Magill for NSW? White is a batsman. Doherty is the tassie spinner isnt he? Can't see him pressing too seriously.

Still has a spot, but wasn't bowling very well last night and the other spin options were doing better.

How does Macgill go in the one dayers?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Macgill has to bat, we're probably already in trouble. For a proven wicket taker, that can break up partnerships i'd take him if the selectors deside not to go with Hogg.

piro* said:
hogg is a great player. he should be in the ashes team.
LOL, he can't even get a regular game for the WA first-class team. Great ODI player though.

MacGill averages in the low 20s in the domestic one day comp, and is a freak. Unfortunately for him, Hogg has it over him due to his handy batting and fielding. Hogg said last year that he plans to play international cricket til he's 40. No reason to get rid of him anytime soon.

And he was the best performed Aussie in the beep test a lil while back. So you know he is still physically with it. Such a shame Ponting doesn't give him the respect he deserves. *best bowler in the ODI's in England*

Hoggy's a great player, and his career is far from finished. One of the fittest players in world cricket. Can bat and field like a dynamo - no one seems to remember his match saving 60+ in 02/03 in the 2nd final vs England, VB Series @ the MCG.

Its funny, late in his career the Freak was often competing with Hogg for a spot, now Hogg is getting the Harvs treatment, left most of the time and not getting used by Ponting when he does get picked

Whites not that stupid of a suggestion as Ponting has shown he doesnt care much for spinners in the one dayers and prefers the batsman who can bowl

Looks like i was right on this one. Hogg dropped for match vs England in India. Not good signs although replaced by Johnson and not a spinner in Cullen.

Has been poorly treated for most of his international career, though he's the kind of bloke that wouldn't get all worked up over it. He'll just keeping doing his job and giving it everything he's got.

goal sneak said:
Looks like i was right on this one. Hogg dropped for match vs England in India. Not good signs although replaced by Johnson and not a spinner in Cullen.
But Johnson took 3 for, so overrall it may have been the right selection choice.

Hogg is good ODI competitor, but obviously not one of Punter's favourites. Man, Punter is losing me as a leader. The success the team has had is purely because of the players at his disposal, nothing to do with his leadership abilities.

When did we last win a tight game due to a smart strategic decision by Ricky? Were spoilt with Taylor and Waugh at the helm... they thought very clearly under pressure.

likka said:
But Johnson took 3 for, so overrall it may have been the right selection choice.

Hogg is good ODI competitor, but obviously not one of Punter's favourites. Man, Punter is losing me as a leader. The success the team has had is purely because of the players at his disposal, nothing to do with his leadership abilities.

When did we last win a tight game due to a smart strategic decision by Ricky? Were spoilt with Taylor and Waugh at the helm... they thought very clearly under pressure.
Last time i checked the selectors picked the team. And what games are you refering to when steve waugh or taylors captaincy won the game alone...

Brad Hogg has been great for Australia in ODI's since Warne's ban. I think that Hogg will still have his place in the World Cup..

Whoever mentioned Cameron White, surely, they were joking, he can't turn the ball more than 2cm, and if he's playing as a frontline spinner, his batting should be secondary, if the selectors pick him as spinner because of his batting record, that's just stupid. Brad Hogg can turn the ball, and can take wickets, and break up partnerships, and is a handy batsman.

There a few good spinners playing domestic cricket in Australia, and I think Dan Cullen is leading the pack to take over when Warne retires from test matches, but as I said, I think Brad Hogg still has a part to play at The World Cup.

Buchanan and Ponting should just get over themselves and go and tell Warne that there is a spot for him for the world cup.

Warne is clearly our best one-day spinner option.

I think his reluctance to play the world cup stems from all the crap about him having to play before and prove his worth etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back