Brad Smith and our Forward Line

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2004
Other Teams
WEST COAST
I'm just wondering how Brad Smith will slot into our forward line - if at all. Without having seen him play, is he a likely starter, or is there a bit of wishful thinking by Eagles supporters?

I reckon our best forward set-up is this:

HF: Sampi Gardiner Embley

F: Seaby McDougall Matera

So how does Smith fit into the equation? Does he play in a forward pocket when Seaby is relieving Cox in the ruck?

What do people think? Above all, how good is Smith and what kind of contribution (games/goals) should we expect from him in 2005?

With the way forwards line up in the AFL, it is probably (forgive me) a little simplistic to look at the line like that. (No offense, that is how we all write lineups)

Using your teams, I would say that McDougall and Seaby would both act as leading forwards from the goal square.

Matera would move up to his flank, Sampi would move down into the vacant (Seaby) flank.

Gardiner would then have more space at CHF, with Embley mobile to act as a linkman.

Lined up like this, you're right, Smith could replace Seaby when Seabs went into the ruck. He could also replace Doogs. As we'd in effect have 2 FFs.

Thoughts?

He's a 'pure' FF, i reckon.

As for where he fits in, basically its the same for every player not in our figurative best 22- if he puts in unrelentingly good WAFL form and the guys ahead of him don't make an impact or get injured, he'll fit right in, in the position of his choice.

You just cant be sure whether or not he will be in the side come round 1? Depends how he goes in the preseason cup I suppose but you would have to think that he is behind McDougall and Gardiner for the key forward spots.

jod23 said:
You just cant be sure whether or not he will be in the side come round 1? Depends how he goes in the preseason cup I suppose but you would have to think that he is behind McDougall and Gardiner for the key forward spots.

Exactly right, I think the Wiz Cup will make a big difference to Rd 1. If he has a good game at home vs the Dorks then you'd have to think he's a big chance.

I kinda get the impression that our ideal FF would be a cross between Brad Smith and Troy Wilson:

A big bodied, fast leading, footy smart full forward who can hit a fencepost from 60 metres out.

Smith really is just a twig at the moment isn't he....?

Milenko said:
I kinda get the impression that our ideal FF would be a cross between Brad Smith and Troy Wilson:

A big bodied, fast leading, footy smart full forward who can hit a fencepost from 60 metres out.

Smith really is just a twig at the moment isn't he....?
A twig with a sizeable butt...

full forwards are obviously paid to kick goals....
this is what the eagles have lacked, a consistent goal kicking forward. Smith is undoubtably the best set shot on goalkicker in western australia, if he gets the footy inside 50 mark it down as a snagger.
Whether he can get it is another story and whether this is good for Mcdougals development is another issue.
Time will tell.

Regarding Gardiner

There is still a chance that he could play ruck next year as well, The Afl may still change the ruck rules for a start.

This would allow Mcdougall to play up the ground a bit more were he can use his agility as he does not have the strenght quite yet to play FF

Thus Smith could still play FF.

SYDNEY_EAGLE said:
I'm just wondering how Brad Smith will slot into our forward line - if at all. Without having seen him play, is he a likely starter, or is there a bit of wishful thinking by Eagles supporters?

I reckon our best forward set-up is this:

HF: Sampi Gardiner Embley

F: Seaby McDougall Matera

So how does Smith fit into the equation? Does he play in a forward pocket when Seaby is relieving Cox in the ruck?

What do people think? Above all, how good is Smith and what kind of contribution (games/goals) should we expect from him in 2005?
hopefully we can put McDougall in the hald forward line, slot smith into full forward and put sampi on the wing!! sampi will dominate on the wing if he can get fit.

juDDa said:
hopefully we can put McDougall in the hald forward line, slot smith into full forward and put sampi on the wing!! sampi will dominate on the wing if he can get fit.

Agree with you about sampi

Has potentialy too much talent and being a high draft pick should be moved more up the ground or even in defense for a while to round of his game instead of just floating across HF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smithy may not crash the packs like Willo but he is good on a lead and accurate in front of goals. Actual positions don't necessarily mean a great deal, and are more theory than practice, so we could still have Smithy and Doogs leading from the goal square in different directions, if that's how the Eagles want to play them.....

willo-selly kenobi said:
Smithy may not crash the packs like Willo but he is good on a lead and accurate in front of goals. Actual positions don't necessarily mean a great deal, and are more theory than practice, so we could still have Smithy and Doogs leading from the goal square in different directions, if that's how the Eagles want to play them.....

I guess my real question is about how many talls we can realistically play in our forward line.

Gardiner, Seaby, McDougall and Smith seems a little top-heavy don't you think?

Yes but obviously they wont play all of Gardy, Seaby, Mcdougall and Smith in the Forward line at one time. It will be interesting to see if Gardiner does move into the ruck with the revised rules. I would imagine that one of seaby and Gardy would be on the bench at any one time. 3 talls is probabaly enough and i guess thats the method they will stick with.
----- Mcdougal -----
----- Smith Gardiner / Seaby

Does anyone think that Mcconnell will play much this year? Im a big fan and ive heard he has put on some Kg's in the pre-season. Is he a HFF chance?

sinepari said:
Does anyone think that Mcconnell will play much this year? Im a big fan and ive heard he has put on some Kg's in the pre-season. Is he a HFF chance?

I think McConnell will win the Rising Star award next year. He will be one of the suprise packets of 2005.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad Smith and our Forward Line

Remove this Banner Ad

Back