Opinion Brasilian and South American Football thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So how many national titles did Pele with with Santos?

People recognize 6 (5 cups; 1 league), but I count 8:

- Taça Brasil (cup): 1961/1962/1963/1964/1965
- Torneio Roberto Gomes Pedrosa (league): 1959/1963
- Taça de Prata (league): 1968

On the other hand, if diegodcg were to answer your question, he would say "NONE".

Let me try explaining why there are those differences.

Those who count 6, they count cup titles from Taça Brasil (1959-1968) only, and start counting league titles from 1967 onwards — when the Roberto Gomes Pedrosa expanded beyond the city of Rio de Janeiro (which was a state of its own) and the state of São Paulo. That is the current official position. Still, it is like considering only the Premierships won after West Coast and Adelaide joined the VFL.

diegodcg follows the strict orthodoxy, since he doesn't count any cup titles, and counts league titles from 1971 onwards — when Brazil's FA (now, CBF) started to run the league. It would be like starting counting only those premierships after the name of the league changed to AFL.

I was convinced that the only fair way to count those national titles is counting everything: Leagues from 1950 onwards; and Cups from 1959 to 1968, and from 1989 onwards.

Last edited:
Will the Brasil's women national team all the get the sack after the Matilda's demolishing?

Does the supporting football community in uproar over the loss or they just glossing over saying they played mostly the amateurs is the team and that the tournament is nothing of importance.

Will the Brasil's women national team all the get the sack after the Matilda's demolishing?

Does the supporting football community in uproar over the loss or they just glossing over saying they played mostly the amateurs is the team and that the tournament is nothing of importance.

The issue with this kind of result is make people lose interest in the girls. It is already an uphill battle for them. However, on the bright side, there is way less pressure. People won't remember the score when the teams meet again (twice) in Setember. If we win, this 6-1 will be seen as a "sad hiccup"; nothing more.

2017 Copa Libertadores

Grêmio has qualified to Quarterfinals. We are Top-8!

First Game: Grêmio 1-0
Second Game: Grêmio 2-1

Second Game Highlights:

---

Five teams are known: River Plate (ARG), Jorge Wilstermann (BOL), Lanús (ARG), Barcelona (ECU), Grêmio (BRA).

River Plate faces Jorge Wilstermann. The remaining series will be defined tomorrow:

Botafogo (BRA) 1-0 (URU) Nacional
(winner plays Grêmio)

Santos (BRA) 3-2 (BRA) Atlético Paranaense
(winner plays Barcelona)

San Lorenzo (ARG) 1-0 (ECU) Emelec
(winner plays Lanús)

Last edited:
2017 Copa Libertadores

Grêmio has qualified to Quarterfinals. We are Top-8!

First Game: Grêmio 1-0
Second Game: Grêmio 2-1

Second Game Highlights:

---

Five teams are known: River Plate (ARG), Jorge Wilstermann (BOL), Lanús (ARG), Barcelona (ECU), Grêmio (BRA).

River Plate faces Jorge Wilstermann. The remaining series will be defined tomorrow:

Botafogo (BRA) 1-0 (URU) Nacional
(winner plays Grêmio)

Santos (BRA) 3-2 (BRA) Atlético Paranaense
(winner plays Barcelona)

San Lorenzo (ARG) 1-0 (ECU) Emelec
(winner plays Lanús)

Top-8 confirmed:

River Plate (ARG) - (BOL) Jorge Wilstermann
Lanús (ARG) - (ARG) San Lorenzo

Grêmio (BRA) - (BRA) Botafogo
Santos (BRA) - (ECU) Barcelona

---

Colors equivalence:
Grêmio - Port
Botafogo/Santos - Collingwood
Barcelona - Adelaide
San Lorenzo/Wilstermann - Demons
River - Essendon
Lanús - Brisbane

Last edited:
Top-8 confirmed:

River Plate (ARG) - (BOL) Jorge Wilstermann
Lanús (ARG) - (ARG) San Lorenzo

Grêmio (BRA) - (BRA) Botafogo
Santos (BRA) - (ECU) Barcelona

---

Colors equivalence:
Grêmio - Port
Botafogo/Santos - Collingwood
Barcelona - Adelaide
San Lorenzo/Wilstermann - Demons
River - Essendon
Lanús - Brisbane
River is Sydney/South Melbourne
mate.

ff152c9a769b603de0ef9118d7868f9e.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so, GremioPower , what's a good result for your guys tonight (apart from the obvious win)?

We must score (away goal is a tie-breaker). Scoring, even losing by a goal wouldn't be bad.

We must score (away goal is a tie-breaker). Scoring, even losing by a goal wouldn't be bad.
Yes, that's what I thought. Even a 1-2 result would put you in a good position for the return leg. Are Barcelona any good this year?

Yes, that's what I thought. Even a 1-2 result would put you in a good position for the return leg. Are Barcelona any good this year?

They've qualified out of the Group of Death, then eliminated two teams current in Brazil's League Top-3. What do you think? I'm scared to death...

Halftime: Barcelona 0-2 Grêmio

Last edited:
They've qualified out of the Group of Death, then eliminated two teams current in Brazil's League Top-3. What do you think? I'm scared to death...

Halftime: Barcelona 0-2 Grêmio
Well, it looks like you are through. It is starting to look like a Port-Sydney GF. I might have to go for my second team on this one.

Well, it looks like you are through. It is starting to look like a Port-Sydney GF. I might have to go for my second team on this one.

So, that what looked like a Libertadores' Showdown...
ficha_dos_jogos_libertadores_barcelona_de_guayaquil_x_gremio.jpg

... ended with a Por... Grêmio win: 3-0.

HIGHLIGHTS:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back