Player Watch Brayden Cook

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll join the circular argument against my better judgement....
A large part of the problem lies with the standard of our top ups. Great blokes and honest triers, but they are country and suburban footballers. The skill level of our top ups ******s the development of our SANFL players. This is the reason players develop faster when elevated to the dizzy heights.
Maybe this will change if we join the VFL.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Except we’ve have a very strong side in the SANFL the last couple of years

I'll join the circular argument against my better judgement....
A large part of the problem lies with the standard of our top ups. Great blokes and honest triers, but they are country and suburban footballers. The skill level of our top ups ******s the development of our SANFL players. This is the reason players develop faster when elevated to the dizzy heights.
Maybe this will change if we join the VFL.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think this problem is particularly acute for players in certain positions, especially forwards.

A crap midfield will make a talented forward look average, and a good midfield will make an average forward look talented.

The same is true for key defenders in sides which lack defensive structure through the middle. Makes it almost impossible to defend when the opposition can just carve through the middle and hit a chest, and it also detracts from your offensive game.

By contrast, mids and rucks should have no excuse. If they're AFL quality they should be able to dominate at SANFL level.

I think this problem is particularly acute for players in certain positions, especially forwards.

A crap midfield will make a talented forward look average, and a good midfield will make an average forward look talented.

The same is true for key defenders in sides which lack defensive structure through the middle. Makes it almost impossible to defend when the opposition can just carve through the middle and hit a chest, and it also detracts from your offensive game.

By contrast, mids and rucks should have no excuse. If they're AFL quality they should be able to dominate at SANFL level.
We’ve actually got top up mids playing ahead of AFL listed mids in the midfield, on what planet is that good development?

It's not.

One possible excuse is that perhaps they don't think those players will play midfield at AFL level?

But if it's not that then it's terrible development.
That can’t be it, they are midfielders, to think we wouldn’t develop them in the midfield is nuts.

But hey according to some on here, our club gets the development of each of our players perfectly right.

You brought up Cook being better now than he was in 2021 but rd 19 in 2023 he was good, therefore he wasn’t just ready now.
Not saying he was just ready now at all, just that he is a better player now than in 2021, whether it's reflected in the stats or not. 'Ready' is hard to quantify anyway. Cook is still developing and you'd hope he'd continue to improve as he gets more games.

That can’t be it, they are midfielders, to think we wouldn’t develop them in the midfield is nuts.

But hey according to some on here, our club gets the development of each of our players perfectly right.
You'd hope SANFL role selection was based on the role the player is likely to play in the AFL side in the immediate future if selected. I think this is sometimes the case (Pedlar playing forward this week for example) but definitely not always, which sucks. And sometimes I have no idea, like is Bond playing defence in the SANFL because they think he's a potential AFL selection in that role and is no chance in the midfield, or just because they need him back there?

One of the primary reasons given for having our own SANFL team was that we would have control over where players played, after years of bemoaning the various SANFL clubs playing our players wherever they were most useful for the club, rather than where it was best for their development.

If that's not the case then serious questions should be asked.

Last edited:
Of course Fogarty was better .....again the commentary at the time was, he's a failed pick ....where else can we play him, DEF ? MID ?
He's certainly one player you could point the finger at and say, the lad has needed time to "get it"

I dispute this ....it's simply an isolated supporter's POV in the bubble of Crowland .....all Clubs have had equal, if not greater drafting misses

But you don't factor in the industry averages ....you see the success's of other Clubs, not their failures

Our recovery from the Tippett fiasco & draft sanctions, and the Camp fiasco, is way better than other Clubs .....ESS still hasn't any success after 20 years ....CARL the same .....SAINT's , NORTH, and GC, have had more draft handouts that should have guaranteed success ....it hasn't

The Saints picks 7 & 8 .....Coffield and Hunter-Clark, both bigger failures than Ned
Hunter-Clark has serious talent, but been cruelled by injury.

Fantastic to see the cartel circle jerk over a 9 disposal, zero tackles game. The cartel went early (just like Brayden) on the gameday thread. Five disposals in the first quarter. Two goals, one from a 50 metre penalty and one from an uncontested mark 30 metres from goal (great play by Schoenberg) in the first quarter. And then……

Do you want to guess what Cooky contributed from just after the half way mark of the second quarter. No not 4 touches, not three, perhaps two, your getting closer.

Truly a break out game although it was below his season average of 9.5 disposals per game (boosted by his other break out game against the Roos). Imho, his best game was against Collingwood because he made close to a 4 quarter contribution.

As I have constantly stated, I am happy for Brayden to play in the AFL rather than McHenry or Murphy but his contribution has been even less than he provided in the SANFL over the previous 3 seasons.

PS Did you watch the game on 5aa again George?
Plays in the hardest position on the ground. Put your energy into slagging that imposter Jones instead. You know, the bloke who plays in a position where disposals should came a lot easier than in that half forward no mans land.

Plays in the hardest position on the ground. Put your energy into slagging that imposter Jones instead. You know, the bloke who plays in a position where disposals should came a lot easier than in that half forward no mans land.
Jones just played up forward, kicked three goals and got in the coaches votes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones has been less offensive this year, but you have chosen the wrong week to have a crack at him... & btw I also thought he should have been dropped to rediscover last year's form.

Jones does have a decent upside.

Sadly I can't say the same for McHenry or Murphy.

One of the primary reasons given for having our own SANFL team was that we would have control over where players played, after tears of bemoaning the various SANFL clubs playing our players wherever they were most useful for the club, rather than where it was best for their development.

If that's not the case then serious questions should be asked.

Which is hilarious cause that is not happening now.

Jones has been less offensive this year, but you have chosen the wrong week to have a crack at him... & btw I also thought he should have been dropped to rediscover last year's form.

Jones does have a decent upside.

Sadly I can't say the same for McHenry or Murphy.
Let’s see if Chayce can back it up in a high pressure game. History says he can’t.

Let’s see if Chayce can back it up in a high pressure game. History says he can’t.
He did in plenty of pressure games last year... including showdowns. This hasn't been an issue & he is not soft!

My issue is he has not been as offensive since his foot injury.

He did in plenty of pressure games last year... including showdowns. This hasn't been an issue & he is not soft!

My issue is he has not been as offensive since his foot injury.
Physically not soft at all. He can crack in for sure. What he lacks though is composure, footy IQ and the mental fortitude to take a game on. He plays safe, timid footy in terms of his willingness to get involved. Maybe its partly a coaching/development thing. I hope he proves me wrong. But, as you can see, he really frustrates me as a player.

Physically not soft at all. He can crack in for sure. What he lacks though is composure, footy IQ and the mental fortitude to take a game on. He plays safe, timid footy in terms of his willingness to get involved. Maybe its partly a coaching/development thing. I hope he proves me wrong. But, as you can see, he really frustrates me as a player.
He needs to not overthink & usually take his 1st option.

Not sure we need to be slagging off any of our players.

The "McSpudry" nickname is pretty crap too for a bloke putting his body on the line for us each week, even if he's not AFL standard.

Chayce played on the wing for the entire game against West Coast.

His last two weeks have been very good. Chayce has had more than 400 metres gained against both Collingwood and West Coast. This is a huge improvement compared to earlier matches this year.
He seems to be building a habit of starting seasons terribly and then improving as the year progresses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back