Player Watch Brayden Maynard

Remove this Banner Ad

How about when a player runs into the post accidentally, do we use hit there? How about if they slam their fist into the post in frustration? This to me is more analogous. One would be considered a "collision" the other a "hit".

I do believe Caro's wording is intentionally charged. A hit if you will.
Exactly. The wording is deliberate and intentional. It is absolutely intended to infer wrongdoing by Maynard.

I don’t understand how anyone could interpret it any other way.

Exactly. The wording is deliberate and intentional. It is absolutely intended to infer wrongdoing by Maynard.

I don’t understand how anyone could interpret it any other way.
Especially when done by the most intentionally provocative pot-stirrer in footy media

Still remember his debut alongside Darcy Moore against Hawthorn the night that it was announced that Walsh (Adelaide coach) was killed. Such a strange atmosphere in that regard...

Pendles had one of his best ever games that night.

Reckon I can remember Bruz hitting Toovey with the perfect kick on the chest running away from him and Tooves dropped it 😂

I don’t see the problem?

Maynard did hit Brayshaw? What else would you call what happened?

Sure, Maynard went to the tribunal and was cleared of any wrongdoing. I don’t see Caro suggesting otherwise? It was still a hit.
Maynard collided with Brayshaw because he could not defy the laws of physics.

He did not hit Brayshaw.

Maynard collided with Brayshaw because he could not defy the laws of physics.

Sure, I’d go even further and say that it was Brayshaw who deviated into Maynard’s path.

But Maynard did still hit him. And as unfortunate as that was, there was no ill intent or anything wrong with it.

I certainly won’t remember Bruzzy for an accidental/incidental collision with a Melbourne player. I’ll leave those who want to infer otherwise to their own devices.
I’ll remember him and celebrate him for his commitment to our cause week in week out and his 100% attack on ball and player week in week out leading him and us to Premiership glory.
One word Bloodylegend😀.

I certainly won’t remember Bruzzy for an accidental/incidental collision with a Melbourne player. I’ll leave those who want to infer otherwise to their own devices.
I’ll remember him and celebrate him for his commitment to our cause week in week out and his 100% attack on ball and player week in week out leading him and us to Premiership glory.
One word Bloodylegend😀.
My favourite memory is his 3 efforts on the wing against Freo last year. Inspirational

Sure, I’d go even further and say that it was Brayshaw who deviated into Maynard’s path.

But Maynard did still hit him. And as unfortunate as that was, there was no ill intent or anything wrong with it.
A collision and a hit are very different.
Maynard attempted a spoil, and had no intention to hit.

Are you seriously dying on this hill?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A collision and a hit are very different.
Maynard attempted a spoil, and had no intention to hit.
Exactly. I was pretty angry at the Melbourne boos last week and baffled how you could see the incident any other way. However I’m not going to engage with media or supporters who imply otherwise. Did enough of that at the time. Bruzz would have a completely clear conscience regarding his intent. Media and others not so much.
He’s a wonderful bloke, a diligent and hard worker (I’d love to read his little black book on oppo opponents), a major driver of the family focus at the club apparently. It’s been a pleasure and a privilege to watch him grow before our eyes.
He’s flown the flag every single game and now we have a FLAG. Let them squirm.

This isn't your finest hour 76 - I'd expect my Year 9 English as a Second Language students to identify the connotation of "Maynard's hit on Brayshaw" And I'm not exaggerating.

This isn't your finest hour 76 - I'd expect my Year 9 English as a Second Language students to identify the connotation of "Maynard's hit on Brayshaw" And I'm not exaggerating.

Let’s get back to what this is about …

… do you really think you can explain to your Year 9 ESL students why we should all march on down Olympic Blvd with our pitchforks because some Journo on TV used the transitive verb ‘to hit’ to describe what Maynard did to Brayshaw last September?

Outrage is a journo’s stock in trade. Why get sucked in so easily when we could just bat it away with “Meh, so he hit him. It was legal and very unfortunate. What more of it?”

Just as we can clearly see that Cornes was taking the piss with his faux outrage about Melbourne players shaking Maynard’s hand pre-game?

… do you really think you can explain to your Year 9 ESL students why we should all march on down Olympic Blvd with our pitchforks because some Journo on TV used the transitive verb ‘to hit’ to describe what Maynard did to Brayshaw last September?

Outrage is a journo’s stock in trade. Why get sucked in so easily when we could just bat it away with “Meh, so he hit him. It was legal and very unfortunate. What more of it?”

Just as we can clearly see that Cornes was taking the piss with his faux outrage about Melbourne players shaking Maynard’s hand pre-game?
If you don’t think Maynard acted with intent (and you don’t seem to) why on earth defend a journalist’s comment that clearly implies it?

I think you’ve just shifted the goal posts here mate.

The issue was never about the outrage about what she said. I agree with you on that point - I’m not losing sleep.

I think you’ve just shifted the goal posts here mate.

The issue was never about the outrage about what she said. I agree with you on that point - I’m not losing sleep.

Yeah it was, here are the original posts I replied to …

Disgraceful by Wilson refusing to accept AFL tribunal verdict. Still referring to "hit" on Brayshaw - this on top of article in The Age last week. Low life.

As previously mentioned, Caroline Wilson is TOTALLY out of order by STILL referring to the Maynard - Brayshaw incident as "Maynard's hit on Brayshaw".

In my opinion, the club and Brayden would be entitled to remind her that Brayden was totally exonerated on appeal and could she please desist from using this terminology. In fact, could she please desist from referring to the incident.

No issue with the point that criticism of Caro is over the top. Although I find it a bit strange that you've got concern for someone playing the character assassination game who knows full well that the game entails her charaacter also getting assissinated - or at least should. I would have thought if you were concerned about character assisination - it's the players where your concern would lie.

But that's a different point to what you or I were making.

Last edited:
No issue with the point that criticism of Caro is over the top. Although I find it a bit strange that you've got concern for someone playing the character assassination game who knows full well that the game entails her charaacter also getting assissinated - or at least should. I would have thought if you were concerned about character assisination - it's the players where your concern would lie.

If Wilson is engaging in "character assassination", why is criticism of her "over the top"?

What's over the top is her continuing to refer to an incident that was resolved by the tribunal last year.

What is the point in her continuing to refer in a negative way to the fact that Maynard visited Brayshaw's house after the incident? (Worth noting that Maynard's father works at Melbourne so there's a bit of context there.)

It’s a parochial game.

Would you really give a toss if Caro launched a character assassination of Michael Voss? I’d be cheering her on.

As I’ve said, outrage is the stock in trade of many of the journos (Caro, Cornes, Robbo, Barrett). We’re the biggest so we cop more than our fair share, but I’d rather not get sucked in by the small / non-existent stuff, and keep my powder dry for when they go OTT.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Brayden Maynard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back