AFLW Player Breanna Koenen (2016-) (Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Trio of Lions Locked in until 2027

240135_Bre_Nat_Orla_Extension_Article_Header-22-.jpg

Brisbane Lions AFLW premiership captain Bre Koenen, vice-captain Nat Grider and two-time premiership player Orla O’Dwyer will all remain at the den until the end of the 2027 season.

The AFLW Grand Final best on ground, Koenen and All-Australians, Grider and O’Dwyer, all signed three contract extensions over the off-season.

After leading the Lions to their second premiership in three years, Koenen didn’t hesitate in sticking around.

“I’m really excited to be staying at the Club for the next four years and couldn’t think of anywhere else I'd want to play my footy,” she said.

“We’re in a really strong position, we’re hungry for more success and that’s something I definitely want to be a part of and continue to drive.

“We’ve built such a great culture amongst this group, driven by Bree (Brock) and Craig (Starcevich) and I’m looking forward to seeing how far this group can go.”

Koenen to Lead Lions in 2024

Leadership_Group_Article_Header-40-.jpg

Premiership captain and AFLW Grand Final Best on Ground, Bre Koenen will once again lead the Lions ahead of their title defence in 2024.

Koenen will be supported by vice-captain, Natalie Grider and an unchanged leadership group, consisting of two All-Australian’s from last season, in Ally Anderson and Sophie Conway along with Lions 2023 Trademark player, Belle Dawes and two-time premiership winner, Cathy Svarc.

Koenen said she was looking forward to leading the Lions 2024 premiership campaign.

“I’m very pleased to be voted in for another season. It’s really reassuring to know your teammates think you are the right person for the job,” Koenen said.

“The same goes for our leadership group which has remained the same now for two consecutive seasons, we have a core group of really diverse leaders who complement each other well.

“It’s also really nice to see a lot of girls outside the leadership group put their hands up and take on more responsibility without a title.”

ME080724MW01243.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Player Breanna Koenen (2016-) (Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back