Brendon Goddard v Luke Hodge

Goddard v Hodge

• Brendon Goddard

Votes: 53 49.5%
  • Luke Hodge

Votes: 54 50.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Biased but BJ. Very tight though, most of their career stat show marginal differences in every area. Hodge is my favourite player at Hawthorn though, would love a Hodge clone at Essendon.

Honestly, I think hodge is quite overrated in my view. Don't get me wrong, I think he is a terrific player and great leader, but so often he gets compared with the top few of the competition and then best of the last decade and I just don't understand that
Anyone else ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know how this is really a debate, Goddard has at least been as good as Hodge to date (arguably better) and still have many years of good footy left him which Hodge doesn't. Hodge doesn't even win in the big game player category which Hawks fans love to pull out when they're losing an argument.

Goddard. People forget how good he was at the saints, especially in the 2010 season!

Goddard. People forget how good he was at the saints, especially in the 2010 season!

Goddard is like a soft version of Hodge.

People have short memories. In Goddards best season (2010) Hodge was probably better. At their bests, and most damaging Hodge is more of a match winner.

Hodge has more AA, More BnFs. BJ is currently playing better but Hodge has a few injury niggles, but has still played some very good football.

At present I'd say they are pretty equal in terms of output. Goddard has more goals but plays forward more whilst Hodge is often putting himself into defence. Career wise I'd take Hodge but both players have had great careers.

Hodge.

BJ is probably the more consistent player, although the average game from Hodge is pretty good too.

When hodge has a big game he is just sensational.

For one game Hodge. For a young side Hodge. In a Key position Hodge. "Fully fit" Hodge.

Over a season or in a mature side, Goddard.

Hodge has played under injury cloud far, FAR too often. Sometimes it works (inspirational 08 GF), most times we are essentially playing a man down (rd.17 08? the ankle injection game).

On career to date - Hodge.
On remaining career? Well Hodge is on less money and still has a chance of a premiership....

For one game Hodge. For a young side Hodge. In a Key position Hodge. "Fully fit" Hodge.

Over a season or in a mature side, Goddard.

Hodge has played under injury cloud far, FAR too often. Sometimes it works (inspirational 08 GF), most times we are essentially playing a man down (rd.17 08? the ankle injection game).

On career to date - Hodge.
On remaining career? Well Hodge is on less money and still has a chance of a premiership....
Love Hodge but that 08 GF injury was probably the most over talked injury in the history of the sport. I honestly believe it was nothing more than some bruised ribs or slightly cracked ribs. Can almost vouch having broken ribs it would not have been any severe break as he let Stokes? have a little go at them before the bounce, something one would not do with serious damage, and with seriously damaged ribs comes the very realistic possibility of puncturing a lung if caution is not exercised. He is tough no doubt but I believe Steve Johnson playing in 2011 would have been under far greater physical duress given his injury the week before. As Hodge ended up winning the NS medal the media and fans wanted to add to the legend, IMO of course.

Hodge has had the slightly better career while Goddard is the slightly better player. Hodges advantage is physicality is cancelled by Goddards advantage in kicking. Despite being very even, I think Hodge will end up being remembered as the better player due to the 2 premierships.

He was terrible in the 2012 Grand Final (yes yes I know he was ill), and he was quiet in the 2013 Grand Final. He also did very little in the 2013 Prelim. He tends not to do especially well in Geelong games in general (apart from 08 obviously). I don't think he's a flat track bully or anything, but he doesn't deserve his big game player reputation.

First I've heard. Was one of 5 players to get NS votes.

He was terrible in the 2012 Grand Final (yes yes I know he was ill), and he was quiet in the 2013 Grand Final. He also did very little in the 2013 Prelim. He tends not to do especially well in Geelong games in general (apart from 08 obviously). I don't think he's a flat track bully or anything, but he doesn't deserve his big game player reputation.
I get what you're saying but let's not forget his games against Swans in the QF! His performances against the Pies have been top shelf over the years as well. In fact as you have stated, since 2008 his biggest drop off has been against the Cats! When he does play in the Middle no one gets the ball more or clearances as much as Hodge. So we may never see him dominate games anymore but that may also have something to do with Hawks having so many Inside Midfield options (Sewell, Lewis, Mitchell, Burgoyne etc) over the last 7 or so years and he is a handy Half Back as well.

I get what you're saying but let's not forget his games against Swans in the QF! His performances against the Pies have been top shelf over the years as well. In fact as you have stated, since 2008 his biggest drop off has been against the Cats! When he does play in the Middle no one gets the ball more or clearances as much as Hodge. So we may never see him dominate games anymore but that may also have something to do with Hawks having so many Inside Midfield options (Sewell, Lewis, Mitchell, Burgoyne etc) over the last 7 or so years and he is a handy Half Back as well.
I'm not sure Hawthorn-Collingwood games qualify as big matches. I'll pay the 2013 QF, but overall I still don't think he's a player who really distinguishes himself by rising to the occasion (though he's obviously still a very good player). Burgoyne lifts and carries the team over the line much more often. When the pressure's on there's not a better clearance winner in the competition, not even Selwood. I think it's been a long while since Hodge had one of those final quarters where he takes the game by the scruff of the neck.

I'm not sure Hawthorn-Collingwood games qualify as big matches. I'll pay the 2013 QF, but overall I still don't think he's a player who really distinguishes himself by rising to the occasion (though he's obviously still a very good player). Burgoyne lifts and carries the team over the line much more often. When the pressure's on there's not a better clearance winner in the competition, not even Selwood. I think it's been a long while since Hodge had one of those final quarters where he takes the game by the scruff of the neck.
Sure but I don't see Goddard taking any game by the scruff of the neck either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brendon Goddard v Luke Hodge

Back