Toast Brendon Whitecross

Remove this Banner Ad

Have always been a big fan of Whitey, especially being a QLD boy. Just thought he had all the tools to be a really good player, the only thing that let him down in the past was disposal and keeping up with the speed of the game.

Seems to have taken a big step forward this year.

When we are having a low patch in our games, it always seems to be Whitey running to get to every contest. He has the mongrel which is what you want from players. To go in and get the ball, no matter what.

This is his breakout year for sure, lets hope some others follow his example.

This is his breakout year for sure, lets hope some others follow his example.

Justice prevails

Hawks are good and maybe great.

Whitecross is the barometer , unfortunately he needs help!

Hero's are helpers but hard workers like Whitecross are the back bone. Cheers

There was a post in another thread about us not having a backup midfield team to fall back on, which is pretty unfair as its only really due to injuries atm.

Whitex, Shiels, Poo...and to a lesser extent Savage and Smith provide us with plenty of options outside Mitch, Sewell, Lewis and Hodge, if we can get them all on the park!

Watching Whitey 18 months back I wondered if he would make it, seemed to always be there or about, just seemed to have minimal impact on the course of the game. Its been great watching him develop in the past year, gets to where the action is most of the time, and runs out games well. Not too bad around the goals either, has become an all round solid footballer.

Pretty sure he went at pick 29. I was really impressed with his draft camp results- 15 beep test and can run under 3 secs for 20m. Rare combo of genuine speed and elite endurance. Was said to have had good leadership qualities and great skills - gave me reason to think way back then that we had something special.

I've never doubted Brenno would do anything but succeed.. Definately a future leader at the club.. Everyone has good and bad patches but he has never suffered from a lack of dedication to his own improvement..

I'm definately not getting as many weird looks these days when I wear my hawks jersey with #37 on the back..

I've never doubted Brenno would do anything but succeed.. Definately a future leader at the club.. Everyone has good and bad patches but he has never suffered from a lack of dedication to his own improvement..

I'm definately not getting as many weird looks these days when I wear my hawks jersey with #37 on the back..

The weird looks were probably along the lines of "check that old Lekkas fan out" ;)

Whilst here I must say that I didn't hold much hope for Whitey at this stage last year.
I'd warmed by the end of the year.
Now I'm a 100% believer.

In another 30-50 games I would like to think that when the 'hardest', 'toughest' & 'most courageous' players are being discussed that Whiteys name will be among those being discussed.

Whilst here I must say that I didn't hold much hope for Whitey at this stage last year.
I'd warmed by the end of the year.
Now I'm a 100% believer.

In another 30-50 games I would like to think that when the 'hardest', 'toughest' & 'most courageous' players are being discussed that Whiteys name will be among those being discussed.

You're not alone there. I'm still warming towards him, but it's a nice toasty feel-good warmth. If he keeps doing what he's doing, he'll get my full tick of approval.

What can I say? I'm a hard taskmaster. :rolleyes:

Let me be one to say I was wrong about WhiteX. I thought he was too slow, turned it over and slowed down the play too much. I was wrong.

He is a gun of a player and has lots to offer us in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And you all called me crazy when I said he was going to be the next Sewell, although I think he's gone past him for the time being.

Lol mate steady on i've been a big whitex fan myself but sewell is a bull. He has taken some punishment for us against good oppposition whitex is getting better by the game :thumbsu:

Whitey is really maturing as a player before our eyes. A great start to the season. His pace, and ability to gather and dispose of the ball going at full tilt is really something. So composed and sure.

And you all called me crazy when I said he was going to be the next Sewell, although I think he's gone past him for the time being.

I wouldn't sweat that description at all.

I might have gotten carried away calling him Hodge like when he was cutting it up across half back before the injury stalled him a couple of years back.

It's awesome to see him stepping up a gear or two from there. He's gotten that confidence and decision making that made him stand out back then back, and upped the ante.

I rememeber an interview with Croad back in 2008 and a reporter asked him who do you think is the next gun at the club. He was confident that this young Whitecross had all the attributes to be the next big thing.

Then I waited. Seemed an okay player. No real position on the ground. Fairly vanilla in everything he does. I went to the Geelong game last week and couldn't beleive how much of an influence this guy was having on the game. Seemed fricken FIT and intense!

Was in our top 5 last night. Loved his goal. As some said, rusty early but came into his own after that. Things are looking very bright for our future midfield.

Would not be surprised if he finishes in the top 5 in the B&F.

Ripping start...loving his work.

Is it me but I noticed on the weekend when he kicked that bomb goal from just outside 50 he got 1 high five...

Anyone know if he's really liked around the club?...within the players.

Seemed odd to me at the time...such a great goal and nobody got around him and it was when the heat was on to if I remember correctly.

Just throwing it out there :cool:

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Brendon Whitecross

Remove this Banner Ad

Back