Brett Deledio

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow, I would've thought Deledio was a shoe-in...Tigers have got some good young leaders for the future then. Riewoldt looks a one club man already, Martin too...Things are looking up for the Tigers:thumbsu:

As great as Deledio is, he just doesn't have that special leadership quality that Newman and Cotchin have.

If you look at the quarter time breaks you will see Cotchin is the one patting the boys on the head revving them up and talking to the boys.

As great as Deledio is, he just doesn't have that special leadership quality that Newman and Cotchin have.

Lids could be turning that corner tho, gave Astbury a good spray in the last when he fumbled what should have been a simple mark. Lids is normally quiet and reserved, but he become quite vocal when the game was on the line as he was busy close checking goddard.

I really hope to god Dimma keeps playing him in the middle now. He was so good in the centre square tonight. He had 9 contested possies in the first half...putting to sleep any doubters on his inside work.

We really need him in there to lead Cotch, Martin.

I've always liked him as a player, have never understood the constant criticism that he cops from the general footy public.

Performances like last night are nothing new for him he has been bringing performances like that for a while now he just has an average game and the BF experts are out in force going LOL what a waste of a number 1 pick when in reality from that draft Buddy is the only player that has performed better then him

I saw Deledio come off at least twice last night because he was absolutely stuffed. I'd imagine Hardwick read him the riot act during the week after his pissweak round 1 performance and to be fair he ran himself into the ground.

That sort of commitment every week from him and plenty more great games will follow. Went in hard, kicked long with purpose and ran a half marathon.

Performances like last night are nothing new for him he has been bringing performances like that for a while now he just has an average game and the BF experts are out in force going LOL what a waste of a number 1 pick when in reality from that draft Buddy is the only player that has performed better then him

I probably only see half the Richmond games you do but that was easily one of the best I've seen from Deledio. I've seen him be more damaging but he showed real ticker in the clinches and beat a top notch opponent straight up.

Hasn't been the best start for BJ this season, Joel Corey probably took the points against him last week as well.

With Hayes out injured, opposition teams can probably afford to tag him every week now.

Good response from Deledio after last week though. When he's actually accountable on his man, he's a very good player.

Deledio is a great footballer...it seems that he thrives on challenges and his poor games are when left loose across HB?

In other news the uber hyped Goddard has been beaten in his first two games of 2011.

Has all the tools, needs to work on his consistency. Still has a touch of the little girl with the curl about his game. His good is very, very good, his bad is very bad.
Still only 23.....Coming into his prime years, should be a constant in the top 10 of the AFL over the next 3 to 4 years.
Great game last night :thumbsu:

Would take Cotchin over Lid's though. He needs to come and play with his old Northern Nights ruckman. :D

Because he's played at Richmond he hasn't learn't to play an all round game. There was one moment when a Richmond playr was chasing the ball with the Saints player about a metre off with Deledio near him. Deledio chose to run past for the backwards handball receive and the Tigers player got tackled over the line. I thought, "mate, you just haven't been taught how to protect your player, that would never have been tolerated at some other clubs"
Great skill, needs to be coached better

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a doubt in my mind that he will be a regular star in the midfield. He looks good with the ball and has plenty of inside nous. Certainly backed up well from his shocker last week.

That midfield is going to be one to reckon with pretty soon. Cotchin is just silk, great footy brain and beautiful disposal. Love watching him. And Martin is pure grunt.

Any Saints fans know if BJ is suffering from some sort of niggle or a lack of preparation? He has been beaten fairly handily two weeks in a row and looks a little out of sorts. I have not been following the Saints' preseason.

Should play that role every week.

I don't think i've seen him play a better game....great things ahead for Richmond. Great team to watch as well.

Just remember, if you're a high draft pick, the media expects you to be a superstar from day one. If you're not, some players are slammed despite being good nonetheless (this happened to Ottens for years). It helps if you're indigenous; you can get away with a flashy goal once every six weeks, but not everyone has that luxury.

Deledio has been pretty good for a while now, but he was awesome last night. Goddard might just realise the game's tougher when a direct opponent is focused on beating you. Corey beat him last week, and Deledio thrashed him last night.

Wasted at HB.

When Deledio, Cotchin & Martin fire at the 1 time, they are going to have the best young midfield in the AFL.
You would hope that a former number 1, number 2 and number 3 draft pick would all turn out OK when they're all midfielders.

Good game, but he doesn't belong at HBF.

He's simply not a defender. He's only being played there to give some dash and decent disposal out of the Tigers defensive 50.

Richmond will be a hell of a lot better when they can get Lids back in the guts with a few rotations in the forward line. That's where he plays his best footy.
He's a utility- he should be played the same way as St Kilda plays Goddard.

that will include playing HBF but also should spend time in the midfield and pinch hit forward.

Pretty sure Ryan Griffen, Mark LeCras, Travis Cloke, Aaron Davey and Josh Drummond have claims to playing as good as Deledio. Taking into account rookie drafted players.

But as long as the club is happy with his progress and are satisfied with his role, opinions shouldn't faze Richmond supporters.

Delidieo is a gun of the highest order would rate him quicker, just as strong, a slightly better mark and kick than BOTH Hodge and Goddard.

However the other 2 are miles ahead of Lids with their ability to shake a tag and work hard for the full game and general football nous.

Time will tell but if the Tigers become a powerhouse in the next 2-3 years and Lids can improve on a few of his deficiencies he could become THE PREMIER PLAYER OF THE LEAUGE OR @ worst top 5.

Being a No. 1 pick this seems very fathomable. yes ??

Delidieo is a gun of the highest order would rate him quicker, just as strong, a slightly better mark and kick than BOTH Hodge and Goddard.

However the other 2 are miles ahead of Lids with their ability to shake a tag and work hard for the full game and general football nous.

Time will tell but if the Tigers become a powerhouse in the next 2-3 years and Lids can improve on a few of his deficiencies he could become THE PREMIER PLAYER OF THE LEAUGE OR @ worst top 5.

Being a No. 1 pick this seems very fathomable. yes ??

Gee you wouldn't half be a Tiger supporter using an alias :rolleyes:

Deledio is nowhere near in the class as those mentioned ...and only a tigers supporter would have the gall to make such ludicrous claims .

Because he's played at Richmond he hasn't learn't to play an all round game. There was one moment when a Richmond playr was chasing the ball with the Saints player about a metre off with Deledio near him. Deledio chose to run past for the backwards handball receive and the Tigers player got tackled over the line. I thought, "mate, you just haven't been taught how to protect your player, that would never have been tolerated at some other clubs"
Great skill, needs to be coached better

Saw that too and thought a similar thing. I don't think its a club thing though, I think it's personal. He was looking for the receive from (I think it was) Vickery when he should have been protecting the man. Couple of years back he was almost dropped for not doing the exact same team things, and it was the senior players who set him straight. I just hope that the coaching staff get stuck into him over that. He is a great player, but could he be exceptional?

Most disposals at age 23y348d:

3310 Robert Harvey
2891 Matthew Knights
2853 Mark Ricciuto
2839 Ben Cousins
2813 Adam Cooney
2811 Scott West
2796 Chris Judd
2788 Nathan Burke
2752 Joe Misiti
2747 Wayne Campbell
2726 Brett Deledio
2614 Daniel Kerr
2421 Luke Hodge
2347 Gary Ablett jnr
2341 Michael Voss
2184 Simon Black
2124 Brendon Goddard

If his skills were only average the table might not be significant, but Deledio's disposal is better than a number of those very good/great players around him. So much for the mythical form slumps some accuse him of. Has well and truly justified his #1 draft rating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brett Deledio

Remove this Banner Ad

Back