Bring back the Adelaide Rams ****en

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Redb# said:
Re efforts to grow the game.

Maybe the NRL should take leaf out of the Rebels book. Seen todays Herald Sun? that's how it should be done. Sure it's an advertorial but front and back page with player profiles, emphasis on point of difference to AFL (international),etc.

Yes, very impressive effort.

Redb# said:
I also dont accept rugby league has been invisible in Melbourne, RL Origin (its best product) has been played on and off in Melbourne since the mid 1990s. That's over 15 years.

That's a fair point and it's shown Victorians will watch the game, when it's offered. For the most part though, the game is hidden away from the people of Victoria.

Redb# said:
Storm have been here with umpteen fluff pieces in their Melbourne owned paper (Herald Sun) for over a decade. Made premierships,etc

If the HS is a Storm friendly publication, I'd hate to see one done by someone who doesn't like them. Their coverage of Rugby league is abysmal.

Redb# said:
As for Friday Night FTA coverage of NRL, you can't be serious that Ch 9 would go head to head with the AFL in Melbourne. In Sydney, the Swans never go head to head with the NRL on Friday night either.

Head to head? I've never supported that. There are other options available, although 9 seem happy to throw some random rubbish on their secondary channels up against AFL.

You include Canterbury in the poorly attended teams list - fail. Probably the biggest club in Sydney (despite being a bunch of *****)

Canterburys 2010 average home attendance is under 19,000. Do you consider that well supported??

Rugby League is such a good TV sport though, In some cases you will see more at home in your living room then you will at the ground.

AFL is completely different, you miss out on so much on TV that you get while you are at the game.

This point means nothing though, the question was which game is the most watched on TV and that has been answered.

But top marks at attempting to move the goal post.

Canterburys 2010 average home attendance is under 19,000. Do you consider that well supported??
In a way yes, especially considering how woeful they were on the field

Apparently they also averaged just over 20 000 as well (although these stats might include the double header in Brisbane)

Cronulla and Penrith are the poorly supported sides

Like Melbourne Storm?

Melbourne had previously bid for a side.

Who in Western Sydney is bidding for the Wests Tigers clone being planted in Blacktown?

Redb#;20186611It suits the NRL/ARL to run with cumulative average TV ratings because they have more games on TV.[/QUOTE said:
yes, it means more people are watching :)

& yes, i am aware of the "We go for longer and have more stoppages" argument

But the statement that started this back and forth was the "More people were watching RL" was it not?

Before quoting Pay TV figures remember who they are from.

ASTRA results which include regionals and are based on Reach which reflects the amount of people who have sampled a show for 5 minutes or more so picks up people who channel surf or might tune in to get a score.

OZTAM's Pay TV ratings are based on 5 city metro averages only using the same measure used for FTA ratings. This tends to lead to averages going down and not up because of Pay TV's many Replay's (which I believe in this case effect the timeshift channels).

So be careful quoting Pay TV ratings because they might not be as truthful a guide as you might think;)
I'd say regionals not being included has a much greater effect on rugby league viewer numbers, considering that NSW and Qld have a much larger proportion of the population outside the cap city when compared with the southern states, particularly with free to air

I think the NRL does have higher TV viewership than the AFL. It's probably the only area where Rugby League is in a better position than the AFL is. That is because of the AFL's minuscule presence in the 1st(Sydney) and 3rd(SE Queensland) largest media markets in the country. Don't you think that's why the AFL's new sides are in Sydney and SE Queensland? With these new clubs, expect that TV gap to be even, or if anything, in the AFL's favor within 5 years time.

That is because the AFL is being proactive in growing their game, while the NRL sits around doing absolutely nothing, wanting teams in Port Moresby, or another in SE QLD instead of placing a club in the 4th(Perth) and 5th(Adelaide) biggest markets in Australia. A team in PNG is utterly ridiculous, and why need another team in SE QLD? Could Rugby League possibly get any more popular than it already is in Brisbane with the advent of a 2nd team? No way. But this is to be expected because the people in charge of Rugby League in this country are incompetent.

PNG is surely just talk? It's not going to happen, is it?

What I wonder about this RL/AFL thing is, what do they play in the schools? All over Australia (Perth, Darwen, etc etc)?

A team will never be in PNG. It us a romantic notion that will never happen

Re: Brisbane2. Where else do you suggest we go? Assume Perth is a goer, and Brisbane2 is the other team, is that not smart expansion? On one hand, we shore up our heartland by having a game at Lang Park every week of the year, on the other hand, we expand into frontier territory.

IMO it us the smart way to do it. Particularly when it is not the right time for NZ2 or Adelaide.

Were the AFL insular when they placed second sides in Perth and Adelaide?

I think the NRL does have higher TV viewership than the AFL. It's probably the only area where Rugby League is in a better position than the AFL is. That is because of the AFL's minuscule presence in the 1st(Sydney) and 3rd(SE Queensland) largest media markets in the country. Don't you think that's why the AFL's new sides are in Sydney and SE Queensland? With these new clubs, expect that TV gap to be even, or if anything, in the AFL's favor within 5 years time.

The one problem with that is the people of those areas don't want and won't support those teams. Particularly the GWS team, that will re-distribute the AFL fans among more teams rather then bring in new fans to the game.

Have you been to the area?

I was in Blacktown were a GWS representative walked into Mcdonalds to put in GWS flyers, before he could walk out of the store the flyers were thrown in the rubbish bin by one of the customers with the other customers yelling out insults and laughing at the attempt. The representative then had his life threaten if ever tried that again. That was 4 weeks ago and the people of the GWS area are already screaming "god have mercy" because of this team, what will happen when its shoved even further down their throats when the team actually starts?

That's why i focussed the discussion on GWS, the GCS should do fine but there is a little risk to it.

But GWS, it will eventually lose the name GWS and just be called Giants and will represent every body from Western Sydney (or the area the AFL defined as Greater Western Sydney) to the USA (only reason the team is called giants is for its appeal to America).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But the statement that started this back and forth was the "More people were watching RL" was it not?
And the answer is more people are watching Aussie Rules.
There are 3 ways this could be measured

1. An average taken across all games including reps and under age games - Aussie rules win even without taking into account Regional WA SA and the NT(no argument there)

2. See how many different people watch Aussie rules or Rugby League over the course of the year - i.e the Roy Morgan Research graph I posted. This shows more watch the AFL than NRL or State of Origin which is counted seperately, but it could be safely assumed that almost all who watch NRL watch State of Origin. and you could also safely assume that those that watch AFL or NRL on PayTV watch it on FTA aswell perhaps not NRL so much as it's harder to view on FTA in non heartland states but it's still puts RL way behind Aussie Rules

3. The last way is to accumulate all the average figures for each game to come to a total number. This works well for RL with this method due to having a higher number of games on TV. But the very important next step that the RL heads seem to leave ou. If you are going to accumulate the games viewers than you need to take into account the length of each game as we looking at numbers based on time, effectively this method is about counting the pair of eyeballs v time watched and adding them together. And again Aussie rules wins.

I think you are underestimating the Suns. They will be supported well enough

GWS is nothing but arrogant madness borne out of the delusions of Victorians who don't understand Sydney.
Where's this arrogance you speak of.

All I've heard from the AFL is ...not going to be easy, ....a long road ahead, ...generational, .....lot of work blah blah blah

The fact they are doing it all

As for your spin, frankly no one cares about your averages.

Cumulatively, more people are watching RL. Fact. Whether you like it or not

Now, be off to the main board where you can have a collective group hug with your fellow delusionals.

As for Roy Morgan, now be honest. This is the mob that once claimed the Sydney Swans have in excess of 1.5 million supporters isn't it? .... :D

You expect anyone but the most delusional of pom pom waving cheer girls to take ANYTHING they come up with seriously?

Please.

And the answer is more people are watching Aussie Rules.
There are 3 ways this could be measured

1. An average taken across all games including reps and under age games - Aussie rules win even without taking into account Regional WA SA and the NT(no argument there)

2. See how many different people watch Aussie rules or Rugby League over the course of the year - i.e the Roy Morgan Research graph I posted. This shows more watch the AFL than NRL or State of Origin which is counted seperately, but it could be safely assumed that almost all who watch NRL watch State of Origin. and you could also safely assume that those that watch AFL or NRL on PayTV watch it on FTA aswell perhaps not NRL so much as it's harder to view on FTA in non heartland states but it's still puts RL way behind Aussie Rules

3. The last way is to accumulate all the average figures for each game to come to a total number. This works well for RL with this method due to having a higher number of games on TV. But the very important next step that the RL heads seem to leave ou. If you are going to accumulate the games viewers than you need to take into account the length of each game as we looking at numbers based on time, effectively this method is about counting the pair of eyeballs v time watched and adding them together. And again Aussie rules wins.

lol

You do realise that both the State of Origin and the NRL are both Rugby League?

More people watch the AFL then they watch the NRL competition on TV, but overall more people watch Rugby League then they watch Aussie Rules.

As your graph shows.

f86960_8.jpg

8.1 million watch AFL overall.

10.1 Million Watching Rugby League overall.

Although i still maintain this graph is wrong because of its stats having A-league and Super Rugby higher then the NRL, every Leaguie knows that the Toyota Cup out-rates Super Rugby.

As for Roy Morgan, now be honest. This is the mob that once claimed the Sydney Swans have in excess of 1.5 million supporters isn't it? .... :D

You expect anyone but the most delusional of pom pom waving cheer girls to take ANYTHING they come up with seriously?

Please.

He won't understand that, AFL don't have cheerleaders. Apparenty is degrading to women.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back