Bring back the Adelaide Rams ****en

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I am ashamed at some of the closed minded responses that i have read in this thread. I live in Adelaide and am a pretty big fan of AFL and NRL, I would like nothing more then to get Adelaide more NRL games. I've always thought of South Australia as an accepting state, we usually embrace sports with open arms even the soccer (which i must admit bores the hell out of me). I was at the game last year Bulldogs v the storm, And from the turn out on that crappy night (cold and wet) I'd suggest there's some passion behind the NRL whether you choose to believe it or not. There we're over 10,000 people on that night, and they were loud and proud.

AFL is big in Most of Australia where as Rugby League is Big on an INTERNATIONAL Level. There are over 90 countries watching most games (NRL) that are shown on Channel 9 and Adelaide misses out WHICH pisses me off. There is no doubt that Rugby league is watched more then the AFL. Where as with the AFL i'd love to know how many countries get a regular game live Really, I would. Most states don't even get all games live. Regardless of time clashes.

I usually defend the AFL, when people bag it out and when people trash talk it, But lets face it, the NRL and Rugbly league in general has a larger fan base. I can watch a live stream of NRL, And there will be people from Japan, America and UK, just to name a few who are there, at NO MATTER what time of night, streams can get 2 thousand plus viewers all to watch the Rugby league. Most of the time I cannot find a Live AFL stream(especially not a free one).

NRL also have a lot more Representative teams, which like it or not, counts towards League TV/live stream viewers. Four nations, World Cup, State of Origin and the World Club Challange. What does the AFL have? If anyone responds International rules, Shame on you, You might as well call that a Scratch match. It's hardly a representative match, Best of two? Come one, be serious! it should at least be a best of Three for me to take it seriously.

As for the expansion, I think that the NRL puts more thought into where they place new teams (or rather teams make bids to join) rather then just saying oh lets pick two NRL heart land cities and just throw a team in each of them And lets try and make them successfull by putting Names of NRL in there. K. Hunt and I. Falou I mean, really i hope they are worth all the money the AFL is paying them, Because it'll be pretty embarrassing when they leave to go back to league or just, Fail badly.

I'd love to have a NRL team. I think it would be great for SA, I also think we have a good enough Fan base.

In what way are the implanted teams different to the conception of the Storm? I'd say the Storm have carved out a nice niche for themselves considering all Victorians are apparently anti-NSW and insular. Who's to say that a team in West Sydney will be any different? Certainly the Suns are doing well for a team where no one wants them. 10,500 members before they've even kicked a ball.

It's a little different, while there was no Melbourne Storm NRL bid saying "we want a team here" there was a company that operates in Melbourne and in other places saying they would financially support a team in the 2nd biggest market in Australia.

NRL would of been stupid to say no, and it was also a condition of the merger between Super league and the ARL to create the NRL.

Whereas the AFL are bank rolling GC and GWS.

The ARL had penciled in a team for Melbourne to come in in the late 90's, they were to be called the Melbourne Monarchs or something. The SL war got them in in 1998, but at a cost to other expansion areas.

It's a little different, while there was no Melbourne Storm NRL bid saying "we want a team here" there was a company that operates in Melbourne and in other places saying they would financially support a team in the 2nd biggest market in Australia.
Who just so happened to own half the competition am I right?

Whereas the AFL are bank rolling GC and GWS.
In what way is the half owner of a league bankrolling a franchise to the sole operator of a league bankrolling it?

I dearly hope Adelaide has a full time team of their own within 10 years, I know it will work.

Do you believe that an Adelaide team would be more successful than the Giants? Why / why not? I'm genuinely interested in your reasoning.

Do you believe that an Adelaide team would be more successful than the Giants? Why / why not? I'm genuinely interested in your reasoning.

Yeah I do seeing as they had a team before without the RL backing it and they averaged over 10k for the 2 years they were playing even though halfway through their last season, the fans knew they were going to be killed off.

Sydney doesn't need another team, the swans are fine.

Yeah I do seeing as they had a team before without the RL backing it and they averaged over 10k for the 2 years they were playing even though halfway through their last season, the fans knew they were going to be killed off.

Sydney doesn't need another team, the swans are fine.

I wouldn't say they went without league backing. News Ltd approached the SARL with a licence. That's besides the point, though. I'm asking what you think would make an Adelaide NRL team more successful than the Giants here and now.

I wouldn't say they went without league backing. News Ltd approached the SARL with a licence. That's besides the point, though. I'm asking what you think would make an Adelaide NRL team more successful than the Giants here and now.

Sydney's got a team to support already Adelaide don't.

Who just so happened to own half the competition am I right?

News limited responsibilities as part owner of the NRL does not come into it really. A business may have more then one business venture going on. News limited as owners of the Storm still had to show the NRL that the Storm team could exist and eventually start making profits in the long term. In 2009 the Storm did just this.

Sydney's got a team to support already Adelaide don't.

It's no so much that they solely don't have a team.

It's a supply and demand issue.

the Giants are getting juniors from North Sydney and the Central Coast, are setting up connections with all different areas in NSW. Why? because the are the AFL labelled as "greater western Sydney" can not support the giants on their own.

Adelaide in League were boosting crowds of 10,000 in the late 90s, regular NRL games in Adelaide will get at least that now, as one off games get above 10,000 now, and it will grow over time.

It's no so much that they solely don't have a team.

It's a supply and demand issue.

the Giants are getting juniors from North Sydney and the Central Coast, are setting up connections with all different areas in NSW. Why? because the are the AFL labelled as "greater western Sydney" can not support the giants on their own.
the Giants are getting juniors from all over Australia like every other club in the competition. Would an Adelaide team have soley Adelaide juniors? Doesn't that fall into your line of lack of demand?

Adelaide in League were boosting crowds of 10,000 in the late 90s, regular NRL games in Adelaide will get at least that now, as one off games get above 10,000 now, and it will grow over time.
rl1908 said crowds averaged 7500. As above, there are 2.2 million people in Western Sydney. Why is there potential for growth for an Adelaide RL team in a city of around half that that's AFL mad but not in West Syd where the majority of people don't even have a sporting alliance or dedication?

News limited responsibilities as part owner of the NRL does not come into it really. A business may have more then one business venture going on. News limited as owners of the Storm still had to show the NRL that the Storm team could exist and eventually start making profits in the long term. In 2009 the Storm did just this.
Out of curiosity, what's 1.9 million minus 6 million?

the Giants are getting juniors from all over Australia like every other club in the competition. Would an Adelaide team have soley Adelaide juniors? Doesn't that fall into your line of lack of demand?

Sorry, i forgot about the national draft that takes players from their hometowns and makes them play in other areas.

GWS are attempting to develop junior in those areas that i mentioned.

RL1908 is not a credible site for Rugby League crowds.

The Rugby League tables & statistic site shows Adelaide had an average crowd of 10,839 @ home.

Sorry, i forgot about the national draft that takes players from their hometowns and makes them play in other areas.

GWS are attempting to develop junior in those areas that i mentioned.
I don't think you fully understand what you're talking about. In the GWS catchment area in metro Sydney alone there are 15 major junior clubs with a total of 75 teams between them. It's not Earth shattering but the claim that GWS are attempting to develop North Sydney (not their zone) or the Central Coast because they don't have the juniors in their region to support them is bizarre.

Adelaide has a total of six (6) junior clubs for the entire city. How is that more able to support a team than 15 in one district of a city alone?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think you fully understand what you're talking about. In the GWS catchment area in metro Sydney alone there are 15 major junior clubs with a total of 75 teams between them. It's not Earth shattering but the claim that GWS are attempting to develop North Sydney (not their zone) or the Central Coast because they don't have the juniors in their region to support them is bizarre.

If i had the articles from mid last year i would post them, but one of the NRL expansion bid teams is putting it their official bid to the NRL. I take their word and the articles over an AFL-centric opinion such as yourself.

If i had the articles from mid last year i would post them, but one of the NRL expansion bid teams is putting it their official bid to the NRL. I take their word and the articles over an AFL-centric opinion such as yourself.

Uh... what are you talking about? Putting what their official bid? You don't need to quote articles at me. You said that the Giants West Sydney zone didn't have the junior support. There are 15 teams there. There are 6 junior teams in Adelaide total. (You don't have to take my word for it, check the SARL website) If the Giants don't have the support to be successful even in a niche, then with half the population and under half the junior clubs over the entire city, on what basis do you think an Adelaide League team would be successful?

Uh... what are you talking about? Putting what their official bid? You don't need to quote articles at me. You said that the Giants West Sydney zone didn't have the junior support. There are 15 teams there. There are 6 junior teams in Adelaide total.

Major difference is there is support for it, Adelaide have the SANFL that gets big crowds along with their two AFL teams, people from the area that the AFL decided to label as "greater western Sydney" doesn't give a shit about AFL. If you play AFL you are seen as less then. Spend some time in the area before making comments.

(You don't have to take my word for it, check the SARL website) If the Giants don't have the support to be successful even in a niche, then with half the population and under half the junior clubs over the entire city, on what basis do you think an Adelaide League team would be successful?

Adelaide is not Sydney and its not Western Sydney (all three are very different areas and cultures), Adelaide are open to all sports and will support every sport well given the opportunity. Player development would take some time but there are cases of South Australians getting trialling periods with NRL teams now, want and interest is there. May take some time to develop overtime but the basis is there.

Major difference is there is support for it
Where? You keep saying this to me and I keep asking you where? What is this support based on? Some 7500 crowds a decade ago? The grand total of six junior clubs and six senior clubs for the entire city?

Adelaide have the SANFL that gets big crowds along with their two AFL teams, people from the area that the AFL decided to label as "greater western Sydney" doesn't give a shit about AFL.
Again I bring the comparison up, there are fifteen junior clubs and eight senior clubs in the GWS catchment area alone including three Premier League or Div 1 teams. AFL games at BoP max the capacity. The Sydney AFL Grand Final got around 3000 people when played in West Sydney.

Where is the support for an Adelaide team that isn't comperable to GWS?

If you play AFL you are seen as less then. Spend some time in the area before making comments.
Uh, I grew up there. You're a Storm fan from Adelaide.

Adelaide is not Sydney and its not Western Sydney (all three are very different areas and cultures), Adelaide are open to all sports and will support every sport well given the opportunity. Player development would take some time but there are cases of South Australians getting trialling periods with NRL teams now, want and interest is there. May take some time to develop overtime but the basis is there.
Where? You keep saying it's there, what are you basing this on?

Where? You keep saying this to me and I keep asking you where? What is this support based on? Some 7500 crowds a decade ago? The grand total of six junior clubs and six senior clubs for the entire city?

The number was over 10,000 plus the one-off games there that have each been over 10k in wet, cold and freezing conditions in an area that doesn't get regular TV coverage or news about the sport.

Again I bring the comparison up, there are fifteen junior clubs and eight senior clubs in the GWS catchment area alone including three Premier League or Div 1 teams. AFL games at BoP max the capacity. The Sydney AFL Grand Final got around 3000 people when played in West Sydney.

3,000 people? Laughable. That is the average crowd at a rugby league state cup season.

You can keep talking about junior clubs all you want, doesn't change the fact that the people in the area only hate one thing more then they hate "Aussie Rules" and that one thing is the AFL. Spend time in the area and get a feel of the attitude, let a lone sit around looking up stats.

That type of attitude was is viewable and easily accessible if pro-AFL types like yourself wake up and actually look further then the length of your nose.

4122 turning up to a Swans vs Essendon game in the middle of Western Sydney, It's little wonder why the team has now moved operations over to Homebush. (Although anyone that has ever visits Sydney knows that is Central West and not greater West by any stretch on the imagination).

Where is the support for an Adelaide team that isn't comperable to GWS?

Firstly, i didn't start taking comparing Adelaide and GWS, you did. All i said was GWS will fail or effect the Swans poorly, and Adelaide is a future area of growth for Rugby League.

I haven't put forward anything that support Adelaide getting a rugby league team now apart from good(ish) crowds.

WA, CC, Brisbane2 need teams, that should be supported well.

Adelaide is a 10 yr project for the NRL.

The discussion in this thread that i was talking about has already been answered.

Uh, I grew up there. You're a Storm fan from Adelaide.

I've spent a lot of time in Western Sydney, thank you.

Where? You keep saying it's there, what are you basing this on?

Experience of sports in Adelaide , that is not Adelaide heartland sports.

3,000 people? Laughable. That is the average crowd at a rugby league state cup season.
Really? For an area that apparently hates Australian Football, pulling a season average crowd isn't too shabby.

You can keep talking about junior clubs all you want
I'm only talking about it because you used it as the entire basis for Adelaide having support and GWS not having support. Your exact words were:
"the Giants are getting juniors from North Sydney and the Central Coast, are setting up connections with all different areas in NSW. Why? because the are the AFL labelled as "greater western Sydney" can not support the giants on their own."

So please expand on your point. If having 15 junior clubs and 75 junior teams playing in an area is indicative of a lack of support, what's less than half that indicative of?

doesn't change the fact that the people in the area only hate one thing more then they hate "Aussie Rules" and that one thing is the AFL. Spend time in the area and get a feel of the attitude, let a lone sit around looking up stats.
So all 2.2 million people in the GWS area hate Australian Football and the AFL? The grand total of League memberships in the area would be in the tens of thousands. What about the other 2.15m people. You know personally that they wouldn't have a bar of it?

Prove it.

That type of attitude was is viewable and easily accessible if pro-AFL types like yourself wake up and actually look further then the length of your nose.

Huh?

4122 turning up to a Swans vs Essendon game in the middle of Western Sydney, It's little wonder why the team has now moved operations over to Homebush. (Although anyone that has ever visits Sydney knows that is Central West and not greater West by any stretch on the imagination).

4,000 for a trial match against an interstate team. Down from 10,000 the week before. Just as many NRL trial matches fluctuate from low numbers to high. I don't know why you'd pick crowds of all things to pick on.

Firstly, i didn't start taking comparing Adelaide and GWS, you did. All i said was GWS will fail or effect the Swans poorly, and Adelaide is a future area of growth for Rugby League.
Yes I know you said that, (just quietly, putting two concepts beside each other like that is called comparing. Contrasting to be more precise) I want to know your reasoning which thus far has been... none. You started talking about Juniors and then went cold on it.

I haven't put forward anything that support Adelaide getting a rugby league team now apart from good(ish) crowds.
I hadn't noticed. So all you're basing your belief on is some barely par crowds a decade ago?

Adelaide is a 10 yr project for the NRL.
And GWS is a 10-20 year project for the AFL. Why do you think one will succeed and the other will fail?

I've spent a lot of time in Western Sydney, thank you.
Yeah, clearly you haven't if you think that every single resident in the West hates Australian Football and anything to do with it.

I've answered all your questions, don't insult me by keep asking the same sh*t over and over and over and over again. Just because they don't fall into the line of thinking you have been educated to think, don't cry to me about it.

Lots of gaps on the Hill and empty seats in the stands @ Blacktown Stadium (even though its in Rooty Hill). But apparently its a "good crowd" according to the commentators.

Really? For an area that apparently hates Australian Football, pulling a season average crowd isn't too shabby.

You were talking about a FINAL played in Western Sydney, FINALS not average games. That would of been 3,000 people from Sydney at that game, not 3,000 from West Sydney. Not sure if you know this, but people have the ability to travel.

Go run along little boy.

I've answered all your questions, don't insult me by keep asking the same sh*t over and over and over and over again. Just because they don't fall into the line of thinking you have been educated to think, don't cry to me about it.

Huh? You haven't. All you've said is Adelaide will work and West Sydney won't. I've asked why one will and one won't. I've asked you to state why and all you've said is all of West.Sydney hates AFL. It has nothing to do with what I think.

Still, if you've answered the questions, link me to the part where you answered my question about how Adelaide would be a success based on YOUR stipulation of junior participation.

RR: NRL reigns supreme with the crowd at the Eels/Tigers clash in Campbelltown reining in 12,761 fans compared to AFL's under 10,000.

AFL was a pre-season comp, Eels/Tigers one off trial game.

RL only gets decent crowds at trial games that are taken to regional or metro areas that don't usually get a game, they usually play 2nd graders anyway.

Tigers and Eels would've been perfect to take to Adelaide/Perth/Darwin/Tas or a country town and they'd have got a bigger crowd.

Another missed opportunity. :mad:

RL only gets decent crowds at trial games that are taken to regional or metro areas that don't usually get a game, they usually play 2nd graders anyway.

Tigers and Eels would've been perfect to take to Adelaide/Perth/Darwin/Tas or a country town and they'd have got a bigger crowd.

Another missed opportunity. :mad:

That crowd was bigger then some of the trials held at region venues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back