• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets

I've been wrong on just about every tribunal prediction I've made this year, I think he will get off which probably means he gets a week. I'm still not quite sure where I stand on this one, I want to protect the tackle for the good of the game, but it's dangerous when you pin arms and drive into the ground.

What do you think?
Poll added to give your view.

Joke of a suspension, at worst it should have been a free kick against Rayner for in the back... however knowing how the chook lotto judicial system works in the AFL I expect the suspension to be upheld.

Find it hard to tell if his left arm is “pinned” tbh. He flings him pretty fast but don’t think it matters if that arm is free 🤷‍♂️

Both arms were pinned. But that doesnt matter. After Burgoyne laid a tackle a few years ago where the player was concussed but only 1 arm was pinned the AFL changes it to be at least 1 arm pinned.

He should get the week, but the AFL are beyond a joke with how they enforce their rules, so who knows.

Both arms were pinned. But that doesnt matter. After Burgoyne laid a tackle a few years ago where the player was concussed but only 1 arm was pinned the AFL changes it to be at least 1 arm pinned.

He should get the week, but the AFL are beyond a joke with how they enforce their rules, so who knows.
Ahh fair enough. Always thought it was ok if one arm was free although this one was too fast for my eyes 🥴

Yeah he's stiff, because it's the perfect classical tackle, but you can't pin the arms anymore, and I think that's the direction we should continue to move in.

You can pin arms, just cant spin, lift, and drive the player in to the ground head first. If he did everything but the head first it wouldnt have even been a dangerous tackle.

Basically as I know it, you ping a players arms therefore taking away the players ability to protect himself then you've taken onus not to smash his head to the turf...

Can this be argued? As we saw with the Cripps case anything can happen

Do I want to see a player miss finals due to this incident? No
Does he deserve to miss a game based on the tackle?
By the letter of the law, yes
By the spirit of the law, anything goes

I can't see how he could off. Its obvious at least one arm is pinned and there is little doubt he is dumped on his face from his injuries.

What else do we need to know?

And he left the ground for 20 minutes, meaning they cant call it Low impact. And given he wasnt concussed they cant call it High impact.

I guess they are just rolling the dice and hoping they get a Cripps result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course it’s a 1 game penalty under the rules.
Of course he should get off using the “Cripps” rule.

As if playing AFL isn't a hard enough game, the AFL also expects players to assess where the harder parts of the field are and to tackle accordingly?

BREAKING: Physics degrees now pre-requirement for entering AFL: Players must be able to calculate all forces PRIOR to the tackle!

BREAKING: Physics degrees now pre-requirement for entering AFL: Players must be able to calculate all forces PRIOR to the tackle!
Its a wonder that the players can even hit a target with the ball. Sure, they can kick it straight. But there's no possible way they could have any ability to adjust the force they use to kick varying distances...

Last edited:
Suspension upheld. New precedent established seemingly. Players need to be aware of the relative hardness of playing surfaces and adjust their tackles accordingly.

View attachment 1488615
Perhaps they should just not spin a player around before pushing them head first into the ground?

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. Brisbane challenging Rayner's suspension

Back