Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 14 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 85 34.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just me or has it not been mentioned anywhere how long Fagan's contract is?

I haven't heard anything. Maybe there was a passing mention to 'the next three years' at the first press conference?

I think we have the right people in Noble and Fagan in charge but there is an awful lot of hyperbole and exaggeration going on.

Talk of us being led to the Promised Land is just silly.

For myself, I remain cautiously optimistic but I think we are in for more pain in he short term at least.
Possibly some more pain for sure. I just think that if Chris Fagan can congeal the boys, clean up any attitude and entitlement issues our best footy (sustained) can win games. Yes defence was an issue but I personally think attitude was the main one.
Win/loss ratio could turn pretty quickly you know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leppa said it after being sacked by the club. He believed he'd done the hard work cleaning up the clubs list and getting in the kids that would form a nucleus for sustained success.
Yes he did that for sure, I think because of the pressures on his job he wasn't able to really challenge players with attitude issues because he needed them to stay on board with him or to get them on board with him. Would have been a tough period for Leppa.

Agree. I think we can put in a much better effort next year. Injuries play a part in that as we dont have a lot of depth. Beams, Bundy, Bell, McStay, Paps even Bewick all missed good chunks of this season, all are best 22 and some of our more senior players.

Having some flashy new top talent 1st year players will be fantastic to add in, but our improvement will come from having more of our best 22 on the park, and playing a better brand of footy.

Yes he did that for sure, I think because of the pressures on his job he wasn't able to really challenge players with attitude issues because he needed them to stay on board with him or to get them on board with him. Would have been a tough period for Leppa.

He did what was needed, even though it was career suicide. Yes we performed badly, but the list is now at a good foundation for someone to build on, and ill back in Noble/Fagan/Schwab to do exactly that with a few high picks in this draft.

You guys might be interested in some of what Sam Mitchell had to say on SEN earlier about Fagan.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2016/10/05/mitchell-reveals-fagan-helped-lift-curse/

“He sees outside the square, he doesn’t just take that path of least resistance and just keep doing the same thing and hoping for something different.

“He certainly made Clarko a better coach and made me a better player.”

Mitchell only had positive things to say about Fagan who left his position as general manager of football at Waverley Park to take on the vacant Lions position.

“I certainly do think very highly of him, so I guess part of me is a bit disappointed that the Hawks have lost him,” he explained.

“He’s going to be outstanding.

“I think as far as emotional intelligence goes he’s as good as they get, I think his ability to read a group or an individual and know how to get the best out of them is his greatest strength."
For me, this is exactly what we need. A great MAN MANAGER that can coach footy. Let David Noble worry about managing the issues in the footy department. Our coach can now focus on getting inside the players heads, understanding how they tick and building a team that's united in culture and attitude. I think culture at the Lions will change very quickly and that can very quickly bring greater success.

Agree. Leppa was between a rock and a hard place. Things are starting to change at the club, tipping the scales to a more balanced and equitable level.

Love for example that the club pulled offers on Green, Rocky and Squizzy during the year. I don't blame the players for pressing for more money, but the club has to be able to manage the entire list properly, it has to keep money in the kitty for all players on it. Part of that is every players responsibility, after all they need a team also, how else is 'loser's fatigue' avoidable.

With a new coach and football manager who are disassociated from the G5 and all the shenanigans that have lead to our situation, the club finally has the opportunity to start fresh. They're in a much better place to be able to enforce the standards and KPIs they set. Can't wait to see the change.

Wouldn't be a Brisbane Lions trade period without Armitage or Silvagni being brought up.

I wonder what Sam Power is doing these days.

Just heard a radio interview with Fagan. A lot of the same things that he's said previously but a few things stood out:

1. He was standing outside the Schaches' house in Seymour as he'd organised to catch up with Josh and his family. Said he'd spoken to 4 players so far and has also got to meet their parents.
2. He is interviewing prospective assistant coaches while he is in Melbourne this week and that he has a "couple of vacancies to fill". I didn't get the impression that we'll be seeing a mass cleanout. He said he wants to model the coaching structure on Hawthorn's (obvious, I guess).
3. He was very clear that we're not looking to trade in experienced players. He wants players who will be in the next premiership team.
4. When asked about Rockliff and Hanley, he said it had been agreed that Noble and Schwab were the ones to make comment on them. He did repeat his previous statements about wanting players who are committed and not having had a conversation with Tom as yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Brisbane Lions 2017 Coach is Chris Fagan

Back