News Brisbane Lions Hall of Fame Guernsey

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
For those that aren't aware, the Brisbane Lions will be wearing a Fitzroy-inspired commemorative Guernsey in their match against Richmond in Round 14 on Saturday 25th June.

HOF-Jumper2016.jpg

On the jumper is a centennial tribute to Fitzroy’s 1916 VFL premiership, a badge immortalising Kevin Murray’s Best and Fairest success, and a Hall of Fame crest. Inscribed on the front and back yoke panels is the names of the Brisbane Lions previous 27 Hall of Fame inductees, as well as the Fitzroy Football Club's motto “palmam qui meruit ferat”, meaning “let whoever earns the palm bear it”.

Fitzroy play Old Hailebury on the 25th June at Princes Park Caulfield at 2 pm. It's a pity it couldn't be arranged that this match was the curtain-raiser for the Brisbane - Richmond game.

I have already ordered mine. It is a bit of a hybrid, but it is still a good looking jumper.

Having Fitzroy play a curtain raiser to a Lions game is a really good idea - I wonder if we could arrange it to happen once a year? Perhaps the problem is the fact fans would have to pay to get in, unlike all other games in the VAFA I assume. Surely people could cope with that for once a year to get more people re-engage with the Club.

Apparently there is still some tickets left to the Hall of Fame event for those that want to go. It celebrates Fitzroy, Brisbane Bears and Brisbane Lions players.
http://www.lions.com.au/Club/events/hall-of-fame-2016

The FFC club through Joan Eddy and Peter Hille have, I understand, good ongoing relationships with two current Brisbane Lions Directors namely Andrew Wellington and Ross Thornton as well as Kevin Murray and the prospect of what you suggest has been mooted for some years by many members . If it is too late this year can a steering sub-committee of all of the above and say Bill Atherton co-opting Dyson Hore-Lacy be convened this year to iron out any insurance and other issues to make it happen ?The reconciliation of the whole pride recognising its continuing amateur roots in Victoria (as it began) and its re morphed configuration in the professional AFL could thus take another step forward .

Last edited:

paddlepop logo placed in an awkward position, plus watermarks ruin the jumper

I'll be heading down to the game and dinner, will be wearing my Fitzroy 1950's replica to the match

paddlepop logo placed in an awkward position, plus watermarks ruin the jumper

I'll be heading down to the game and dinner, will be wearing my Fitzroy 1950's replica to the match

Yeah not a fan of watermarks or the sponsor/logo look or placement. But to me that is a minor quibble. Fitzroy supporters have had to live by the adage of beggars can't be choosers, so it doesn't really worry me.

By the way for anyone interested the Hall of Fame event has now officially sold out.

Fitzroy play Old Hailebury on the 25th June at Princes Park Caulfield at 2 pm. It's a pity it couldn't be arranged that this match was the curtain-raiser for the Brisbane - Richmond game.

Having Fitzroy play a curtain raiser to a Lions game is a really good idea - I wonder if we could arrange it to happen once a year? Perhaps the problem is the fact fans would have to pay to get in, unlike all other games in the VAFA I assume. Surely people could cope with that for once a year to get more people re-engage with the Club.

Some may and some may not remember that in about 2003ish the Fitzroy Reds played a curtain raiser at the MCG prior to Brisbane v Collingwood. The opponent was whichever of the Brunswicks wears Collingwood colours. Reds won the match, and Brisbane then fired a 9-goal opening term to obliterate Collingwood.

I went for the Reds match, left quarter time of the seniors having a date with the missus at Hamer Hall that evening. It was a good day all-round.

I honestly can't remember for certain but assume that I paid full GA price to enter the G.

Yeah I actually remembered about that match after I had posted. So it obviously can be done.

Great day back in 2003 - first Brisbane Lions game wearing the FFC jumper in front of a huge crowd at the G.

(Just looked it up - there was almost 62k at the game, a Lions home and away record and slightly more than Fitzroy's home and away record of almost 59k against Carlton in 1979 at Waverley).

Last edited:
By the way the Lions website has live tweets and articles from the Hall of Fame event.

New inductees announced
- Matt Rendall
- Gary Pert
- Norm Johnstone
- Arthur Wilson
- George Coates
- Jimmy Freake
- Luke Power (an old Roys supporter himself)
- and Simon Black as best Lions player of the last decade

Edit Aker was also inducted and Gary Wilson was named the fourth Club legend joining Kevin Murray, Haydn Bunton and Michael Voss.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back