Remove this Banner Ad

sculls_6

Debutant
Apr 17, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
Surely the Brisbane Roar's achievements so far have gone largely undervalued??? Due to the majority of this countries disposition to AFL and NRL, the thought that a team can be lauded for having 13 draws in an unbeaten streak sits rather uncomfortably with most. Hopefully with time their run will be properly acknowledged; here are a few stats and arguments related to this debate.

Sure, draws a much more prevalent in football, but due to its low scoring nature, it would be easy for opposition teams to sit back, soak up the pessure and try to jag a lucky goal on the break. It only takes a gullible ref to give an unwarranted pen or a defensive howler to lose a game 1-0. In AFL and NRL..If you are the dominant team for the majority of the game, the chances are you have lots of points on the board by the end of the game. The achievement should be lauded IMO, but not compared to the other codes in Australia. It should be placed alongside the other football records of undefeated teams around the globe. Brisbane Roar have done extremely well to stay undefeated over this period of time and have in the process garnered many positive comments for the game (even from those who profess not much knowledge of the game) due to their style of play and their ability to come-from behind to avoid defeat where lesser teams might have dropped their heads and given up. A little known stat is that they have scored in every one of the games in their unbeaten streak so far. I've already mentioned that football is a low scoring game(not exactly news there) so this initself should be recognized as a great thing. Perhaps the key to breaking the streak will be keeping Roar scoreless rather than just scoring more goals than them.

Sure, draws a much more prevalent in football, but due to its low scoring nature, it would be easy for opposition teams to sit back, soak up the pessure and try to jag a lucky goal on the break. It only takes a gullible ref to give an unwarranted pen or a defensive howler to lose a game 1-0. In AFL and NRL..If you are the dominant team for the majority of the game, the chances are you have lots of points on the board by the end of the game. The achievement should be lauded IMO, but not compared to the other codes in Australia. It should be placed alongside the other football records of undefeated teams around the globe. Brisbane Roar have done extremely well to stay undefeated over this period of time and have in the process garnered many positive comments for the game (even from those who profess not much knowledge of the game) due to their style of play and their ability to come-from behind to avoid defeat where lesser teams might have dropped their heads and given up. A little known stat is that they have scored in every one of the games in their unbeaten streak so far. I've already mentioned that football is a low scoring game(not exactly news there) so this initself should be recognized as a great thing. Perhaps the key to breaking the streak will be keeping Roar scoreless rather than just scoring more goals than them.

Well said.

I'd add that what makes it even more remarkable is the fact that it's been achieved in a league in which equality and evenness are actively promoted through a mechanism like the salary cap.

It's a phenomenal achievement that is unlikely to ever be repeated in this country. It's just a shame that most people in this country don't appreciate it.

Well said.

I'd add that what makes it even more remarkable is the fact that it's been achieved in a league in which equality and evenness are actively promoted through a mechanism like the salary cap.

It's a phenomenal achievement that is unlikely to ever be repeated in this country. It's just a shame that most people in this country don't appreciate it.

Couldn't agree more; any sport with a salary cap is not built to produce an unbeaten streak such as this.

I think the reason the streak is so readily compared to other sports, rather than the likes of Arsenal 03/04, is that the Australian media simply not aware. Once the Roar surpassed the greatest streak in NSL/ A-league history, the next step was to look to AFL, NRL and Rugby Union.

But back to the streak, I can't see how it will end before they atleast raise the bat for half a ton!

The thing with the media in this country once one person prints it, everyone else quote's it as fact without checking too see it's true in this case it's far from " a all codes Australia record" heres four Australia rules football teams with better records -

Games
58 North Melbourne VFA 1914 – 19
56 Essendon VFA 1892 – 94
50 South Melbourne VFA 1884 – 86
43 Geelong VFA 1885 – 87

3 of the top 4 were all pre 1896 when the VFA was the number 1 Football code in this country and if you are inculding a sydney club rugby league side from the 30s then all the 4 teams i have listed are in, so welldone too the Roar but you have a way togo

The thing with the media in this country once one person prints it, everyone else quote's it as fact without checking too see it's true in this case it's far from " a all codes Australia record" heres four Australia rules football teams with better records -

Games
58 North Melbourne VFA 1914 – 19
56 Essendon VFA 1892 – 94
50 South Melbourne VFA 1884 – 86
43 Geelong VFA 1885 – 87

3 of the top 4 were all pre 1896 when the VFA was the number 1 Football code in this country and if you are inculding a sydney club rugby league side from the 30s then all the 4 teams i have listed are in, so welldone too the Roar but you have a way togo
Ahh another hater: didn't someone set you straight on The Roar.com.au?

If your stats are correct, then why are you the only one peddling your line?

further ----

Did the teams you mentioned have to contend with a salary cap or squad size limits? Was a Cashed-up Chinese Super League team likely to come in for the best player at any of those teams mentioned above? Its alright to try to downplay the Roar’s achievement, by saying ‘apples with apples’ or “they’ve got a long way to go”, but even football can’t compare itself with football in other countries…Only North America’s MLS has similar constraints to deal with. People should just revel in enjoying the superb show of skill on display last season and this season. Brisbane Roar FC are doing amazing things especially showing the “well the HAL….it’s not exactly the EPL/SerieA/LaLiga is it?” Eurosnob types that exciting football can happen anywhere in the world with good coaching. I love how some people are so keen to shoot down a positive story for football, just can’t let Sockah have a moment in the sun can ya? How about a little bit of respect?
--------------

Yeh those VFA records are about as relevant as stuff that happened in the year 1346

Furthermore why the f? (abbreviated to WTF) are you that desperate to dig up records to express your jealousy to a rival code

Yeh those VFA records are about as relevant as stuff that happened in the year 1346

Furthermore why the f? (abbreviated to WTF) are you that desperate to dig up records to express your jealousy to a rival code

LOL what! Isnt the point the Record is "across all code" this may come as shock too you the AFL isnt a "code" it's a league that play Australia Rules Football

VFA is not VFL right?
one broke away from the other to form a separate comp. clubs moved between the two later down the track, but at one stage they competed with each other for attention/players/media.
So how with a straight face can the VFL/AFL clubs include their VFA premierships/records, but deny Port Adelaide their SANFL flags?
VFA records mean as much as my local under 8s park football records. there is no continuity between VFA and the modern AFL.

Ahh another hater: didn't someone set you straight on The Roar.com.au?

If your stats are correct, then why are you the only one peddling your line?

further ----

Did the teams you mentioned have to contend with a salary cap or squad size limits? Was a Cashed-up Chinese Super League team likely to come in for the best player at any of those teams mentioned above? Its alright to try to downplay the Roar’s achievement, by saying ‘apples with apples’ or “they’ve got a long way to go”, but even football can’t compare itself with football in other countries…Only North America’s MLS has similar constraints to deal with. People should just revel in enjoying the superb show of skill on display last season and this season. Brisbane Roar FC are doing amazing things especially showing the “well the HAL….it’s not exactly the EPL/SerieA/LaLiga is it?” Eurosnob types that exciting football can happen anywhere in the world with good coaching. I love how some people are so keen to shoot down a positive story for football, just can’t let Sockah have a moment in the sun can ya? How about a little bit of respect?
--------------

under all these "rules" you set how does a Sydney rugby league team from the 30's and a VFL team from the 60's qualify ???? good on the Roar but dont just pick and choose who you include and who you dont it took me 5mins too find those records it's a shame the "reporter" who first put it out on AAP 5weeks ago didnt take more then 2 mins for a story with no fact base then even worse are people who cont to report it as fact again without checking the FACTS!

So if it's a Record from the if you like "National era" AFL 1990 , ARL late 80's and the A league etc then welldone too the Roar great run,but when you say they break a 74yr old record from a Sydney rugby league Club side then you have to look at the SANFL , WAFL , VFA , Club Rugby league in Queensland can't have it both ways

you show me where a sports historian has put his or her name too this so called Record and i will be first in line too say Welldone Roar

VFA is not VFL right?
one broke away from the other to form a separate comp. clubs moved between the two later down the track, but at one stage they competed with each other for attention/players/media.
So how with a straight face can the VFL/AFL clubs include their VFA premierships/records, but deny Port Adelaide their SANFL flags?
VFA records mean as much as my local under 8s park football records. there is no continuity between VFA and the modern AFL.

Nearly as much as a Club rugby league side from the 30's

and as i post if you want too make it a "National era" record then Welldone too the Roar but dont then make the record they breaking something from 30's Cant have it both ways

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It all gets confusing because the NSWRL became the NRL and the VFL became the AFL. Where I get shirty is when someone tries to include random leagues like the VFA. the VFA became the VFL in a re-branding exercise in the 90s People should just be enjoying the exciting football on display from Brisbane rather than getting their noses out of joint about who's sport is bigger or better. If you can't get excited by it, then why would you be a wet blanket and try to take away the enjoyment from those that are excited? Is it possible for football to blow its own trumpet once in a while without the haterz getting their panties in a twist? I think not. Everytime football wants to say, look isn't this great...(what ever 'this' is) It seems to draw out the idiots who cant believe that football could actually have the chutzpah to be positive about itself for once.

It all gets confusing because the NSWRL became the NRL and the VFL became the AFL. Where I get shirty is when someone tries to include random leagues like the VFA. the VFA became the VFL in a re-branding exercise in the 90s People should just be enjoying the exciting football on display from Brisbane rather than getting their noses out of joint about who's sport is bigger or better. If you can't get excited by it, then why would you be a wet blanket and try to take away the enjoyment from those that are excited? Is it possible for football to blow its own trumpet once in a while without the haterz getting their panties in a twist? I think not. Everytime football wants to say, look isn't this great...(what ever 'this' is) It seems to draw out the idiots who cant believe that football could actually have the chutzpah to be positive about itself for once.

The VFA is not some random league, as you put it.

from 1877 to 1895 the VFA was the Number 1 Football code in this country thats by the by

As i said make it a record from when all the Comp's went National, I would of thought that would make more sense

The VFA is not some random league, as you put it.

its the oldest football league in the world but again this "record" isn't that big on facts

once a Sydney Rugby league club from the 30's was let in it opened the Door too the VFA pre 1896

Even too WAFL teams in fact East Fremantle won 35games in a row in the 40's

Was the VFA classified as a professional league? If not then surely those records are redundant and the Roar's 36 game undefeated streak is the highest in Australian professional sporting history.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane Roar going for 36 straight undefeated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back