Scandal Brownlow Betting Scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

Can see the 4 accused being in real trouble as:
1. Gambling and sport is such a hot issue and this only serves to throw a few coals on the fire.
2. The accused aren't backed by the AFLPA who seem to have some sway in these situations.
3. Huge impact on the credibility of the Brownlow/ AFL in general even if its just one leaking to a few, who could then leak to a few.
4. All comes down to image and if the AFL/ VicPol can make an example of this situation this seems well placed.

Can see the 4 accused being in real trouble as:
1. Gambling and sport is such a hot issue and this only serves to throw a few coals on the fire.
2. The accused aren't backed by the AFLPA who seem to have some sway in these situations.
3. Huge impact on the credibility of the Brownlow/ AFL in general even if its just one leaking to a few, who could then leak to a few.
4. All comes down to image and if the AFL/ VicPol can make an example of this situation this seems well placed.
I’m not sure there’s been many test cases on these laws.

But I can’t imagine the charges for the civilians receiving and using dodgy information can lead to huge penalties unless the bets were massive. If I was the judge and the crime was ripping off bookies for a couple of hundred bucks I’d say well played lads.

The umpire passing on that info and potentially making $$$ from that…well that’s an issue.

I am talking about the game itself, you do know that is an umpires main job yeh?
What does that have to do with the integrity of the whole game. It doesn’t matter who gets bog if you can tell someone else who it is. As soon as bookmakers started the round by round betting markets it was only a matter of time before cases like this happened.

I think it's most likely that he very stupidly let slip to a few of his mates the 3 vote getters in a couple of games, who then saw the great odds and were stupid enough to run with it without realising how easily it could be picked up by bookies who closely monitor these things. Very serious, very dumb, but not a sign of any greater conspiracy.

I find it unlikely (but plausible) that he was influencing the vote for unlikely players and using that to get great odds for certain games. Particularly given the votes are made by 3 umpires, not just 1.

In saying that, I have no doubt that there has been, and probably currently is, dodgy behaviour occuring within and around AFL games. I just don't think this one is the smoking gun.

I think it's most likely that he very stupidly let slip to a few of his mates the 3 vote getters in a couple of games, who then saw the great odds and were stupid enough to run with it without realising how easily it could be picked up by bookies who closely monitor these things. Very serious, very dumb, but not a sign of any greater conspiracy.

I find it unlikely (but plausible) that he was influencing the vote for unlikely players and using that to get great odds for certain games. Particularly given the votes are made by 3 umpires, not just 1.

In saying that, I have no doubt that there has been, and probably currently is, dodgy behaviour occuring within and around AFL games. I just don't think this one is the smoking gun.
I have nothing to add to your comment but your avatar is a ****n pisser.
:tearsofjoy:

I personally know Michael and you wouldn't meet a nicer guy who was totally dedicated to being an afl umpire. I'm absolutely shocked that he's involved and i hope that's it's all wrong or at worst massively over blown by the media.
Not that I can tell anyone in here what to do, but try to keep it professional not personal. They guy is not a bad person and has a wife and child and doesn't need to be shat on by losers like us whilst dealing with this storm.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 3 Karl Amon games are very suss.

The Dan Hannebery one is suss.

I personally know Michael and you wouldn't meet a nicer guy who was totally dedicated to being an afl umpire. I'm absolutely shocked that he's involved and i hope that's it's all wrong or at worst massively over blown by the media.
Not that I can tell anyone in here what to do, but try to keep it professional not personal. They guy is not a bad person and has a wife and child and doesn't need to be shat on by losers like us whilst dealing with this storm.

If he discussing who got the votes with the man in the street he is NOT dedicated to being an AFL umpire.

Only Carlton game Pell umpired - Round 6 v Dockers.

Cripps - 0 votes.

Corruption confirmed.
Rua89Md.png

No one knows what he's done at the moment.

Haha, police seem to think that he has passed on details of match day votes.
He has been charged.

it is instilled into the umpires from day one to never discuss the voting .

if you think this is dedication to his job you are very naive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Scandal Brownlow Betting Scandal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back