FTA-TV bruce mcavaney

Remove this Banner Ad

Stats Man

All Australian
Jan 14, 2008
Forward pocket
AFL Club
West Coast
bruce was the best of the best in the 1990s and early 2000s but since seven lost the footy for a few years, it seems like he isn't what he was as a commentator. he used to focus on just calling the game and nothing else..now its almost like he's too focused on going crazy for judd or rioli or any player who is silky skilled. he used to for carey but it was different because he focused on the way the king was playing, not the whole 'ooooooh juddddd, you were right about him dennis, he just excites you/etc'. what do you think? still a champion but needs to go back to his 2001 form.

He is what he is. A little more theatrical than pure game caller, but all commentators evolve their styles. Sandy Roberts was a great caller in the early 90s but became cringeworthy mid/late 90s. I think it was the pig at the SCG that set him off on that path.

I like Bruce's style. He brings enjoyment, rather than the bitterness and snideness blokes like Quarterbrain and Walls deliver.

Know what you mean. I've always liked Bruce but his calling of the big names has become really annoying. Prime example last night when he called, "Laaahhhvely kick from Hodge" as Hodge popped a simple 20 metre pass to a bloke well in the clear. There is no way Bruce would have said that had the kicker been a no-namer. Often he makes these sorts of calls before the big name has actually done anything. I call it 'Michael Long' Syndrome' - a simple tap-on is somehow 'majestic' or 'magical.' The other thing he does (and he's not on his own here) is conveniently ignore an error from a big name. Hodge and Johnson repeatedly butchered the ball in the qualifying final last week but we pretty much only heard about the good things they did. Still, I'd much rateher listen to Bruce than any arrogant, condescending Channel 9 caller - or Dwayno.

He was just about my favorite commentator a decade or so ago, certainly top three, but I'm afraid that I cannot stand the guy now. It's got to the point where everything he says annoys me. Damn shame really.

Was just thinking the same thing a couple of days ago. He has definitely lost his mojo ever since 7 lost the rights for that period. It's almost like the game has gone past him.

Yeah, the Bruce and Sandy combo of the early 90's was one of the best pairings to date on any format. They knew their stuff and called the big games brilliantly with lots of excitement but never OTT. Toady's callers (Bruce included) should go back and check out some old matches to get back to their roots a bit.

bruce was the best of the best in the 1990s and early 2000s but since seven lost the footy for a few years, it seems like he isn't what he was as a commentator. he used to focus on just calling the game and nothing else..now its almost like he's too focused on going crazy for judd or rioli or any player who is silky skilled. he used to for carey but it was different because he focused on the way the king was playing, not the whole 'ooooooh juddddd, you were right about him dennis, he just excites you/etc'. what do you think? still a champion but needs to go back to his 2001 form.

Excellent op. And agree with most the comments here.
I think Bruce is just past it.
As a young caller when he was up and about it was genuine but he controlled it.
Now hes just a loony. And he and Dennis dont compliment eachother well at all as say Bruce and Sandy or even Robbo.

Actually i was thinking growing up listening to Bruce call the footy as a child/teen do you infatuate yourself with the caller of the footy you watched that now that Bruces style is different its why we perceive him as average?

Very annoying nowadays. Too busy trying to be funny when he's not that funny. Great researching when leading into big events, but it isn't needed to the degree he does it for the footy. No one cares what Player X's mother eats every Wednesday nights for dinner.

'Judd' and 'silky skilled' should never be used. 31st at Carlton for DE% says he's isn't that skilled with the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

FTA-TV bruce mcavaney