Remove this Banner Ad

Jake98

Senior List
Suspended
Jul 28, 2024
AFL Club
Sydney
SEN
This season Darcy has booted 35 goals, which is second at the club behind Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (43), and is averaging 12 disposals, five marks and a tick under seven hit-outs.

His most recent performance was certainly not lost on the footy world and has compelled Buckley to predict that the former No.2 draft pick could be the AFL’s best player as quickly as next season.

“My opinion of footballers in general, if you can find a competitive aerial player in the front half of the field, he is as valuable a commodity as you are ever going to find,” Buckley said on SEN Breakfast.

“Sam Darcy, for me, is the youngest, brightest key forward. I love Josh Treacy and the way he’s going about it, but Sam Darcy can ruck, he can go behind the ball if you need him to. He’s probably the forward version of a Mac Andrew.

“Seeing him do what he did yesterday, it just struck me as I was watching this kid - and he’s still a kid, he’s still developing and growing - but this kid could be the best player in the competition as soon as next year.

Do you agree or disagree?

Many people would've had Nick Daicos pegged as the best player from the 2021 draft. Who would you take between Daicos, Darcy and Horne-Francis?

its a early call by Bucks..but he is going to be special young Darcy
as for Daicos/Darcy/h.francis = its a win win what ever player you pick
have to pick = Darcy.. can build a team around a telent like that

I’m sure it won’t be smooth sailing for Darcy. There’s always heaps of growing pains with young key forwards. The Kings were meant to be the next big things. Hogan looked like becoming an all time great after his first season, Daniher too looked incredible at times when he was young. I’m sure it won’t be as fluent as a lot of people are saying.

That being said, he’s probably the player with the highest ceiling to come through in the last 10 or more years. I’m pretty confident saying that

I’m sure it won’t be smooth sailing for Darcy. There’s always heaps of growing pains with young key forwards. The Kings were meant to be the next big things. Hogan looked like becoming an all time great after his first season, Daniher too looked incredible at times when he was young. I’m sure it won’t be as fluent as a lot of people are saying.

That being said, he’s probably the player with the highest ceiling to come through in the last 10 or more years. I’m pretty confident saying that
He needs a high ceiling

When was the last time a non-midfielder was the best player in the comp? The most valuable might be a different conversation.

Ultimately he’s going to continue to be a ruck/forward for the next few years. He’s probably already the best contested mark in the game (or top handful at least). Does a 50 goal a year, back-up ruck, incredibly skilled contested marking beast make him the most valuable player in the league? I guess there’s an argument.

Darcy's good but his peak is what we are currently witnessing. He won't get anymore explosive. He should get a lot stronger which would make it him a nightmare one-on-one but I see more upside in Ugle-Hagan's game than Darcy's.

Largely agree. Darcy's reach is unmatched and he knows how to mark the ball at peak height, almost like the perfect H&A tall forward. His goal kicking action is also too weird to be trusted, but maybe that's just me.

If we need someone to take a pack mark in a tight game or pull something out of nowhere - Jamarra is the man imo.

(And yes, it's nice to have both)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Largely agree. Darcy's reach is unmatched and he knows how to mark the ball at peak height, almost like the perfect H&A tall forward. His goal kicking action is also too weird to be trusted, but maybe that's just me.

If we need someone to take a pack mark in a tight game or pull something out of nowhere - Jamarra is the man imo.

(And yes, it's nice to have both)

Jamarra can also work on his tank (as too Darcy but it's a bit more difficult when you are 7 feet tall), and begin roaming around the wings like we saw of Franklin and now Cameron. Make himself a true dynamic footballer of the modern era.

Darcy's good but his peak is what we are currently witnessing. He won't get anymore explosive. He should get a lot stronger which would make it him a nightmare one-on-one but I see more upside in Ugle-Hagan's game than Darcy's.

You're so scared aren't you? He's definitely not coming to Geelong

It would be a young forwards dream to have a KPF on your team like JUH, thats a huge benefit to Darcy

But dAiCOs ran passed Darragh Joyce to kick a goal so he is the best player of all time. :tearsofjoy:

Darcy is a huge talent who can do things other 3rd year key position players cannot normally do.

We really are in the golden era of AFL at the moment with Daicos, Sheezel, JHF and Darcy all equal best players in the comp. Then you have the next Joe Selwood in George Wardlaw and future GOAT Sam Walsh.

Remember when Naughton was the going to be the big dog in that Dogs forward line?
Naughton's had a better overall year than both Jamarra and Darcy this year, just in a slightly different role contributing more with groundball, forward pressure, and up the ground link-up stuff, as a CHF more than FF while Darcy and Jamarra have kicked more goals playing closer to goal.

But dAiCOs ran passed Darragh Joyce to kick a goal so he is the best player of all time. :tearsofjoy:

Darcy is a huge talent who can do things other 3rd year key position players cannot normally do.
You obviously didn't watch him also gather the ball, burn off Lachie Neal while having a couple of bounces and kick a great goal at full speed.

But we know how selective you are.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Buckley: Sam Darcy could be the best player in the AFL next season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back