Buckley says second ruck spot is open.

Remove this Banner Ad

Very interesting article about Fraser and Wood and the "fight" for the second ruck position behind Jolly.

Seems like the pies were rapt with Jolly last week, and basically have seen enough to know that Jolly is number 1, and number 2 ruck is still wide open.

Great to hear Bucks speak anytime.:)

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfeatures/news/newsarticle/tabid/5586/newsid/89909/default.aspx

Jolly’s absence means Cameron Wood, who rose to prominence in 2009, will do the majority of the rucking while Fraser finds his feet as he returns from a knee injury.

Buckley agreed the pair seemed likely to fight for the supporting role to the former Sydney Swan this season.

“A game like this is an opportunity for one or the other to stake their claim,” Buckley said following the Pies’ brief training session at Gosch’s Paddock on Thursday morning.

“Admittedly [for] Josh, this will be his first hit-out against an opposition but I think that [ruck battle] will evolve as the season progresses.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfeatures/news/newsarticle/tabid/5586/newsid/89909/default.aspx

Spot #2 is Josh's to lose.

As much as I think Wood is a good prospect, he is insurance for either Jolly or Josh for season 2010.

The only way I can see Wood being preferred to Fraser is due to form or injury.

Fraser just offers us so much more around the ground.

Woods my prefered 2nd ruck. Think he taps well and plays well forward or back for a tally.

Fraser is a better option than Wood atm.. More consistent and can actually be a decent midfielder/forward.. Wood needs to improve his consitency. We know what he is capable of ripping out 25 touch games in 60 percent game time and what nor. But doesn't show it often enough. Young and growing. Stating the obvious but he will be Number 1 ruck post Jolly..

Very interesting article about Fraser and Wood and the "fight" for the second ruck position behind Jolly.

Seems like the pies were rapt with Jolly last week, and basically have seen enough to know that Jolly is number 1, and number 2 ruck is still wide open.

Clever thinking by Bucks.

Let them both think/know that a position in this team is up for grabs.

Best neither think the spot is theirs or else the spot is the other guy's.

By appearance, rightly or wrongly, what they both seem to lack is hunger, mongrel, desperation.

Let 'em fight for a spot, show us what they got...

Great early signs from our coach to be.

Wood is Guy Richards 2.0, Huge expectations but has delivered little to warrant them.
In fairness to Guy Richards at least he won Best first year player. The only thing Wood has shown is how desperate our football department were for a ruckmen, a first rounder in trade for Wood was way over the mark. Fraser should relieve Jolly in the ruck and be be experimented with up the forward line or even a Maxwell type role across half back. Wood can earn his stripes in VFL. I honestly think Port Adelaide or perhaps Hawthorn would be the only teams where Cameron Wood would be considered in the starting 22 going on what he has shown at Collingwood.

Wood is Guy Richards 2.0, Huge expectations but has delivered little to warrant them.
In fairness to Guy Richards at least he won Best first year player. The only thing Wood has shown is how desperate our football department were for a ruckmen, a first rounder in trade for Wood was way over the mark. Fraser should relieve Jolly in the ruck and be be experimented with up the forward line or even a Maxwell type role across half back. Wood can earn his stripes in VFL. I honestly think Port Adelaide or perhaps Hawthorn would be the only teams where Cameron Wood would be considered in the starting 22 going on what he has shown at Collingwood.

I really hope you're not right about this...but admit there's a small chance that's how it could turn out.

I find it encouraging that he bulked up so much over the break, hopefully that's a very positive sign of his commitment.

He has the body you'd think, if he also does have that commitment and can develop some ferocity in his thinking and actions, he'll develop nicely I hope. He may learn that from working alongside Jolly, and competing against Josh, who I agree is in front of him atm.

Its has to be wood, he was awesome in the sydney game round 21 i think, and im interested to see josh play forward, yes i know he doesnt take contested marks but that might change, try him up forward never know what could happen,and if i remember well, josh is a good kick.

I'm torn to who i want to see in there.
It would be great to develop Wood even more as there were some very promising performances last year.
On the other hand i think about a fit Fraser, over his knee problems and not getting worn into the ground every week from having little to no back up. He would be fantastic.

At this stage i think Fraser should get first crack if hes fit. Try him in the forward line and see if he performs. If he does well as a forward and stays fit, i can't see Wood getting in the side other than injuries.

Up until the second half of last year, I would agree with you. But the below still gives me hope he has the potential to be a good ruckman.

Round 21 V Swans - 13D 4M 17 HO
Round 20 V Tigers - 20D 3M 19 HO
Round 19 V Crows - 24D 8M 19 HO
Round 18 V Lions - 15D 5M 12 HO
Round 17 V Blues - 14D 8M 19 HO
Round 16 V Hawks - 13D 2M 20 HO
Round 9 V Eagles - 23D 9M 9HO

There aren't many 22 year old or younger ruckman in the league putting up numbers like that. While calls for Wood being soft are quite valid, I think he has great technical qualities as a ruckman, i.e. his tap work is technically probably as good as Jolly's, he just doesn't have the body or aggression to use it consistently.

I think Wood could easily be a Darren Jolly late bloomer type, where his technical skill as a ruckman doesn't shine through until a bit later due to not being big enough, and not having enough endurance. Darren Jolly is by no means a crash and bash ruckman, but he has the body now and endurance to put his great technical skills to proper use.

Once upon a time, Jolly was a much questioned young ruck, as like some others now at Melbourne. His palming is now a wonder to behold, at least at Collingwood.

Wood is better than Jolly was then, but still needs toughening up between the ears. The clutch mark missed in the fourth last week against a medium tall defender was disappointing. Wood will be Jolly's replacement in time and his understaudy right now.

However, No 2 is Fraser's if fit for this year. He will wipe the floor for athleticism with any second ruck in the comp. Fraser comes on, O'Bree also goes to the centre and sharks their taps, then Fraser is the extra clearance, wing or HFF option. Think all other teams know that now, so this might be the last year of their double act?

This makes for some interesting viewing. Shows how Jolly was performing at the age Wood is now. Jolly 2004 vs Wood 2009. Wood has it all over him at the same age. I reckon he'll be fine - still learning the caper and bulking up.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...d2=284&type=A&fid1=A&fopt1=23&fid2=A&fopt2=23

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This makes for some interesting viewing. Shows how Jolly was performing at the age Wood is now. Jolly 2004 vs Wood 2009. Wood has it all over him at the same age. I reckon he'll be fine - still learning the caper and bulking up.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...d2=284&type=A&fid1=A&fopt1=23&fid2=A&fopt2=23
Josh is definitely No 2 at the moment but will he be their in september, our best chance of challenging the top sides is for Jolly to be able to ruck 80% of games, Pendles and Swanny must be licking their lips

Once upon a time, Jolly was a much questioned young ruck, as like some others now at Melbourne. His palming is now a wonder to behold, at least at Collingwood.

Wood is better than Jolly was then, but still needs toughening up between the ears. The clutch mark missed in the fourth last week against a medium tall defender was disappointing. Wood will be Jolly's replacement in time and his understaudy right now.

However, No 2 is Fraser's if fit for this year. He will wipe the floor for athleticism with any second ruck in the comp. Fraser comes on, O'Bree also goes to the centre and sharks their taps, then Fraser is the extra clearance, wing or HFF option. Think all other teams know that now, so this might be the last year of their double act?
What athleticism? Fraser still has a big tank when fit, but his athleticism went with his knees. My grandmother can run faster. Honestly I'd be surprised if he even managed to play half the games this year. Fraser's body is utterly ****ed. We should have gotten rid of him during trade week, because I have a feeling we will never be able to get decent value for him again.

He will wipe the floor for athleticism with any second ruck in the comp. Fraser comes on, O'Bree also goes to the centre and sharks their taps, then Fraser is the extra clearance, wing or HFF option. Think all other teams know that now, so this might be the last year of their double act?

I love your enthusiasm about Fraser but there's a kid playing for West Coast by the name of Naitanui who i think just has Josh covered in the athleticism stakes!

What athleticism? Fraser still has a big tank when fit, but his athleticism went with his knees. My grandmother can run faster. Honestly I'd be surprised if he even managed to play half the games this year. Fraser's body is utterly ****ed. We should have gotten rid of him during trade week, because I have a feeling we will never be able to get decent value for him again.

I think Josh Fraser might surprise a few people this year, now he'll be freed from the yolk of a position he didn't really seem comfortable with.

He does seem to have a good tank I agree, it may be he can play wing, roam across middle of ground or attacking side, be a link player. Drift back or forward as required. Bit like Richo did at the end.

Also agree his trade value days might be behind him now, all the more reason to have a real dip this year

I love your enthusiasm about Fraser but there's a kid playing for West Coast by the name of Naitanui who i think just has Josh covered in the athleticism stakes!

And in what I find to be a fitting irony Naitanui may be the one Ruckman Frase will have covered in the ruck stakes.

Fraser will surprise as has been already mentioned. Along with Jolly and Ball, Fraser will be just another string to our now impressive bow.:thumbsu:

I think Josh Fraser might surprise a few people this year, now he'll be freed from the yolk of a position he didn't really seem comfortable with.

He does seem to have a good tank I agree, it may be he can play wing, roam across middle of ground or attacking side, be a link player. Drift back or forward as required. Bit like Richo did at the end.

Also agree his trade value days might be behind him now, all the more reason to have a real dip this year
If he can play Richo's role half as good as Richo did it will be a bonus for us but unfortunately I cant see that happening

We should have gotten rid of him during trade week, because I have a feeling we will never be able to get decent value for him again.
They shopped him around but got no serious interest. They would have traded him if they got a decent offer but they got none.

And in what I find to be a fitting irony Naitanui may be the one Ruckman Frase will have covered in the ruck stakes.
Absolutely no chance.

Naitanui is stronger and more aggressive than Josh at ruck contests already. He also has a FAR bigger leap, so he can get his hand to the ball more often than Fraser.

Naitanui's tap work gets ignored in his hype, it is superb, and much, MUCH better than Fraser's.

i think if wood plays well enough to force his way in then we can fit all three in and use fraser as a forward midfielder then it doesnt matter if cloke pushes up the ground we still have a big forward in the 50

Is there a premiership given to trading? Best trade award for 2009? Some people seem to be obsessed with trying to trade half the team off...personally I dont believe that the club tried to trade Fraser last year. There is no evidence in what I've read that it happened. They were willing to trade Goldsack or Wellingham to get Ball, but the rest is made up. And yes I realise that half the team probably gets mentioned during trade week, but that doesnt mean the club was seriously considering it.

As for Fraser, he deserves a crack at playing ruckman/forward. If he doesnt make the grade, so be it. Trading players before you give them a chance does nothing for the rest of the team. His previous injuries at the end of the year have shown that he needed help...and now he's got it. When he's fit, he's a good midfielder.

As for Wood, I heard him being interviewed and he sounds like a kid. He needs to grow up a bit ...get a bit of confidence in himself.

Fraser is no. 2 now.

In 2/3 years Wood will take over the no.1 spot from Jolly, like he had the batten passed to him from Jason Ball at the Swans. Josh will be about done by then. That knee will eventually give way.

Wood is going to be practicing against Jolly for the next 4 years. He'll improve no doubt.

Time..Just be patient and I hope he doesn' become antsy and want a trade for more game time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Buckley says second ruck spot is open.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back