Coach Buckley steps down

Remove this Banner Ad

Evening all. Pardon the intrusion.
I'm genuinely sorry to see Bucks go. I've been impressed with the way he carries himself as a coach so I truly wish him all the best.

I'm sure he will wake up next Tuesday morning feeling like he has the weight of the world lifted from his shoulders. Good luck to him.
All the best for the coaching search.

Please stay away from Sam Mitchell ;)
No

how do you reconcile your insistance, above with the fact Bucks publicly stated he didn’t want Mayne.
I'd love to know who recruited Mayne. Are you suggesting that all AFL coaches are detached from recruiting/drafting and delisting of players? I know Buckley wanted Adams and Treloar. I also know he wanted Shaw ( who wept and begged to be able to stay) and Daisy Thomas out and look what happened.

What rubbish - Buckley did NOT control the Club.
The board and Ed would have seen the behavior of MM during 2012, and that agitation would not have sat well with them.
So saying No to Bucks’ offer would have been entirely understandable.
It was just reported on 7 that Buckley was told on Monday he would not be appointed next year , he offered to stay onto to end of season and CFC said no. Really p poor. this board and CEO is so out of touch

Evening all. Pardon the intrusion.
I'm genuinely sorry to see Bucks go. I've been impressed with the way he carries himself as a coach so I truly wish him all the best.

I'm sure he will wake up next Tuesday morning feeling like he has the weight of the world lifted from his shoulders. Good luck to him.
All the best for the coaching search.

Please stay away from Sam Mitchell ;)
Would have to think he is on our radar.

Well... I can't say I didn't want him gone, but man is this sad. I didn't ever really think he was the next premiership coach, but he was a good one in many aspects. Unfortunately, he wasn't so great in some like handling the departure of players or consistent on game day, which is a real shame. Having watched him as a player when I was a kid to coaching the past decade, my heart is heavy, but it's the right decision given the damage done during the off-season (that can only be fixed by him leaving). Also, last week would've been the perfect time for him to finish with that win, but I guess the club probably wanted the change to happen during the bye (and probably wanted to for a while now).

I wish him the best and hope to see him back coaching again somewhere else in the future (after a bit of a break to relax and all).

Well,this has come as a complete shock.I didn’t see this coming today,nor did anyone else as far as I can see.There wasn’t even any hint of it happpening in the media,no leaks,no rumours,so it seems to have come completely out of the blue.

Anyway,even though I have been a critic of Buckley’s in recent years,I can’t help but feel a twinge of remorse and sadness at his departure.I really do think he had the best interests of the club at heart and wanted it to succeed more than anything else.Unfortunately he just couldn’t get the job done in the end.Don’t forget he was only a bad umpiring decision away from being a Premiership coach back in 2018,so he did have his his fair share of bad luck,as Collingwood always seems to get.His greatest weakness,I feel,was that he was just too defensive as a coach,and he placed too much faith in honest toilers who worked hard,but didn’t have enough talent to win a premiership for him.

He is a class act,as he showed today with his dignified final press conference.I hope he does well in whatever he chooses to do next with his life ,and I will always remember him fondly as one of the greatest Collingwood players I have ever seen.Well done on your career,Bucks,

It's a sad way for such a legend of the club to finish up, for sure. Unfortunately all coaches get sacked/not renewed/told to step down eventually. However it eventuated, it happens to all of them and the writing was on the wall for him. I don't know whats more to blame, be it our lack of personnel or our coaching, but I have definately struggled to watch us play this year. I don't mind getting beaten but our style of play has been arduous to watch at best. It will certainly be interesting to see the reaction by the players over the course of the rest of the season and if we see just more of the same.

Buckley has dne nothing but gven the Club great service as a player and coach and will always remain a legend in my eyes. Although I think it was always going to happen at some point this year, it still saddens me to see it.

I hope the board know what they're doing and have some sort of plan set up, because the last 6-8 months have been just disastrous.

A legend of the club, hopefully he can enjoy life abit more without the stress of coaching for a few years atleast. Thankyou Bucks. Please don’t coach another club, would be so painful to see him in other colours.

Also, by the time Nick Daicos is in his prime and we’re contenders again, Jett is drafted as a father son first year and we win the flag. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so you would have been fine with him being replaced in 2017 - and very satisfied with a new Coach achieving 3x top 8 2xPF’s and a Gf, but because it’s Buckley you discount it.
Laughable- otherwise why say he stayed too long.

Yes i would have been fine with him being replaced ...just like any other coach would have been replaced had it not been for the hard on of our former president and because of the name of our coach.

He gave it his best shot...and it didn’t work out, so be it.
I don’t begrudge that.
I’m a Collingwood fan first and last—-so I desperately wanted it to work.
But I’m not going to be fooled into pedalling the trash you have been around here.

However, fan boys such as yourself cannot rationalise anything because your love for one man blinds you from the truth.

Bucks gave his all. He took us so close. Nobody can deny.
He will be in major demand at other clubs. Will coach again.

It's a new chapter for our club. Lets get behind it.

That said: I'll be throwing up a little in my mouth if they appoint Harvs or Sando as caretaker head coach.

I'd love to know who recruited Mayne. Are you suggesting that all AFL coaches are detached from recruiting/drafting and delisting of players? I know Buckley wanted Adams and Treloar. I also know he wanted Shaw ( who wept and begged to be able to stay) and Daisy Thomas out and look what happened.

I’m saying your argument is simplistic to suggest accountability for all list decisions rests with the Coach.

Last edited:
I’m tipping an experienced coach takes over with experienced assists to set up the box otherwise you cant get rid of Sando AND Harvey at the same time.

So the first few years was dismantling the team of the rat pack and people who werent on the "Collingwood Bus" to be shipped off. Then bucks making it "his team"

The next 5 to 6 are all not decisions of bucks to have on the list? Cool got ya

Theres a reason why Stepho/Phillips and Treloar are gone and you will find Bucks fingerprints all over those three.

Ill leave this here. Give that a read and tell me Bucks didnt want Adam out

You cant seriously sit there and say he doesnt shape the list he coaches of his 10 years.
Thanks but I think I will give this a pass.

I am well aware on your thoughts on all things Buckley.

Yes i would have been fine with him being replaced ...just like any other coach would have been replaced had it not been for the hard on of our former president and because of the name of our coach.

He gave it his best shot...and it didn’t work out, so be it.
I don’t begrudge that.
I’m a Collingwood fan first and last—-so I desperately wanted it to work.
But I’m not going to be fooled into pedalling the trash you have been around here.

However, fan boys such as yourself cannot rationalise anything because your love for one man blinds you from the truth.

You again reinforce you have no perspective - clearly anyone suggesting Buckley, despite the dramatic improvement of the team in the last 3 seasons, should still have been sacked in 2017, has such an unhinged bias that they have no capacity for rationale thought.
The scenario I posed was designed to test your objectivity - and you failed.

I can defend Buckley’s record and still be objective enough to have said months ago there was a need for change.

That’s the difference between bias and objectivity.

Why? It gives the club some clean air.
I think getting the old coach out of there quickly is usually best in most cases, although now that I think about the circumstances, losing a member of the coaching staff mid-year during covid, with a heavily-reduced football department cap would put enormous strain on the remaining coaches for the remainder of the year. And I can't imagine the club would be able to (or are even allowed to) recruit new coaches mid-season (especially given Bucks would likely need to be paid out, at least partially, for the remainder of the year).

Although I do think letting Bucks go is for the best, with reduced football department cap, covid, and most importantly, the board not be sorted yet (meaning some of the people involved in the decision may not even being here next year), not letting him coach out the remainder of year could be disastrous. Right decision, but terrible timing of when exactly he departs. At the very least, the board needed to be sorted first, before making decisions like this.

Good luck Bucks & thanks for everything as a coach & player. You gave your all.
But the time to move on from the Ed & Bucks show is now.

Sort out the board situation. Get coach hunting for next year & look forwards instead of the rear view mirror.

Best wishes.
Met Bucks once, would have been the 2004 finals series because Port won, he was a friendly bloke.
Time for everyone.
Genuinely sad to see him move on.
Leppitsch might be a good choice, but he found footy to be a pressure cooker.
Dimma speaks highly of Lonergan, no one else pays him attention.
Guess you would have a caretaker until season's end, then make the proper choice.

Last edited:
This is a day to comment on a Collingwood legend. We can air our views but keep it respectful. There will be no tolerance for posts that are wholly negative or critical on this day. There will be plenty of time for analysis in the days ahead

There will be also no toleration for posters commenting on the merits or otherwise of other posters posts. Keep on Bucks not on what you think others should say. The thread will be moderated and if you have issues report them to us

Cheers and well done Bucks

FYI Anzacday Maggie5 jathanas

You again reinforce you have no perspective - clearly anyone suggesting Buckley, despite the dramatic improvement of the team in the last 3 seasons, should still have been sacked in 2017, has such an unhinged bias that they have no capacity for rationale thought.
The scenario I posed was designed to test your objectivity - and you failed.

I can defend Buckley’s record and still be objective enough to have said months ago there was a need for change.

That’s the difference between bias and objectivity.

How can there be bias when my only concern is the success of the football club?
I don’t care about anything else.

I have been very clear about this.

Whether It was Nathan in charge or now someone else...it’s the same outlook for me.

However, let’s see if the next coach gets given 10 years and the same rope ....and whether you will support that as vigorously

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Buckley steps down

Remove this Banner Ad

Back