Burka Must Be Banned In Public Places

Remove this Banner Ad

galroo

Rookie
Feb 9, 2006
AFL Club
Adelaide
Its time this garment was banned in public places.

People are not allowed to wear helmets or stockings on their heads when entering a bank etc.. so the burka shouldnt either.

Not to mention how repressive it is for women

galroo said:
Its time this garment was banned in public places

Many western items of clothing have been repressive for women as well.Or is this because it covers up the women.

Dry Rot said:
Trust you're including Catholic nuns' headgear in this?

The relevance to a conversation on the Burka being?

There is no call for a ban on the regular muslim headgear, more similar to a nuns headgear.

burka.jpg
burka.jpg

comp%20nun.jpg
0,,1121683_1,00.jpg

galroo said:
Its time this garment was banned in public places.

People are not allowed to wear helmets or stockings on their heads when entering a bank etc.. so the burka shouldnt either.

So confining them to their homes & not being able to go out isn't repressive? :rolleyes:

lmfao ban nuns habits too?
interestingly the burka is predominantly a clothing item used in saudi, kuwait, UAE, other gulf states and some parts of afghanistan, and not generally used throughout most of the rest of islam.

Dry Rot said:
Fair enough - my confusion - never seen a burka in Australia, despite living in probably our muslim capital.

Is it often actually worn out here?
I've seen a few in Dandenong and up in sunshine, but not many really.
I know a fair few muslims and don't know any that wear them.

like I said earlier, tends to be women from our 'allied' nations of saudi, kuwait and other gulf states.

Its amazing that womens rights and democracy isn't pushed for there...

dan warna said:
lmfao ban nuns habits too?
interestingly the burka is predominantly a clothing item used in saudi, kuwait, UAE, other gulf states and some parts of afghanistan, and not generally used throughout most of the rest of islam.
I have a Muslim friend from the Maldives who wears one.

She is married to an Aussie who doesn't make her wear it. She wears it because she wants to.

burka.jpg

no good her hands arent covered.

Saw a woman in Dewsons Mirabooka with the eyes only showing ,she had her hands covered as well. The brightest blue eyes showed from underneath.

To clear up some misconceptions.

Passport and drivers licences pictures are taken without the Burkha, but they are recognised as needing ''special rooms'' to take the photos. Also some airports have culturally sensitive staff who will take a Bhurka clad woman to a separate room to check her identity

I dont know the official police stance in licence checks on the road.

PerthCrow said:
burka.jpg

no good her hands arent covered.

Saw a woman in Dewsons Mirabooka with the eyes only showing ,she had her hands covered as well. The brightest blue eyes showed from underneath.

To clear up some misconceptions.

Passport and drivers licences pictures are taken without the Burkha, but they are recognised as needing ''special rooms'' to take the photos. Also some airports have culturally sensitive staff who will take a Bhurka clad woman to a separate room to check her identity

I dont know the official police stance in licence checks on the road.

Driving in a balaclava - can I inspect your boot, mate ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe we should just ban clothing altogether? Then no-one can hide anything!:)

Might be a way to slow down the obesity epidemic- if that's how I look in public maybe I'd better work out!

mighty tiges said:
Showing your own insecurities and paranoia are you mate :rolleyes:. If someone chooses to wear one it's their business.

Just like if someone chooses to wear a balaclava or a motorcycle helmet everywhere?

Monkster said:
Just like if someone chooses to wear a balaclava or a motorcycle helmet everywhere?

Do you understand the difference between wearing something to avoid identification when committing a crime and religious beliefs that don't bother anyone else except the paranoid?! Sheesh let go of your fear :rolleyes:.

It doesn't offend me.

For some reason I don't find an oppressed Islamic boy toy offensive.

Maybe that's something they should think about themselves.

milo said:
It doesn't offend me.

Even if it did that would be your problem. It's not illegal to wear one and it doesn't affect anyone else but the person wearing it.

For some reason I don't find an oppressed Islamic boy toy offensive.

Maybe that's something they should think about themselves.

So they are oppressed and a "boy toy" even if they choose to wear it?!

According to a Coburg shop owner interviewed by Neil Mitchell yesterday who sells them 99% of muslim women don't even wear the full burka. So we have all this fuss and irrational fear and hysteria over such a tiny minority.

copernicus said:
How about no :)

it's a free country - if someone wishes to wear a burkha, who are we to stop them?

Its not a free country at all. There are lots of rules which dictate what can and can't be worn at certain places. Try turning up to work tomorrow wearing just speedos and try telling that crap to your boss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Burka Must Be Banned In Public Places

Remove this Banner Ad

Back